India Fans

I suspect that a lot of our fans chose to sell tickets onto the crazy Indians around who’ll pay 20-30 times face value for tickets for whatever reason. I know someone who was offered nearly a grand for 4 for today; absolute madness but can see why people would be tempted

Think you’re right about that mind.

If you moved to Australia, had a kid who was born with an Australian passport, would you not then expect your kid to support England or should they change their allegiance simply because of the physical location they were born and what is written on a piece of paper?

I let my children make their own choices. I wouldn’t try to force anything on them, even if it goes against what I’d like them to do. Isn’t that good parenting?

Last edited:

I've been to six matches so far this World Cup and seen all the Asian teams.

Their support in every match has been at least 99% British nationals who support their country of bloodline and I've absolutely zero problem with that. The Asian fans have been a breath of fresh air this tournament and their support is amazing and lights up the tournament. Bangladesh have the best fans and the Afghans and Pakistanis not too far behind but they've all been great.

I was at the Pakistan vs New Zealand game at Edgbaston last week.

It was at least 90% Pakistan fans in the ground and a great atmosphere. A couple of things that I noted were strange for such a well attended sporting event was the Pakistani fans never went to the urinals but queued for the toilets so I just walked in and had a piss whenever I wanted. Also it was strange to see there weren't any queues for the bar, they must have took buttons.

Last edited:
Think you’re right about that mind.

I let my children make their own choices. I wouldn’t try to force anything on them, even if it goes against what I’d like them to do. Isn’t that good parenting?

Absolutely. And aren't these Indian fans doing exactly the same?

People can support whoever they want.

In the US, plenty of Chilean, Mexican and Brazilian Americans support the country of their heritage in the football. My friends Trevor and Stu who are of English heritage rock the 3 Lions shirts even if playing the US. I was born in England but neutral in football between the two.

Pakistani and Indian people are born into households where those families are fanatical about cricket. It's not a question of who they will support, they're born into it.

I don't understand what the "sensible debate" would be. Lord Tebbit is an idiot.

I don't understand what the "sensible debate" would be. Lord Tebbit is an idiot.

Yet you’ve so eloquently put forward a post on the subject ;)

Find it hilarious so many are going down the completely wrong line. Looking for outrage when there isn’t any to be had.

When I was at the 2007 WC the vast majority of Indian fans from Britain were spot on. They supported India when they were playing but the rest of the time they were supporting England when they weren't playing India. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there were quite a few Asians supporting England yesterday too.

When I was at the 2007 WC the vast majority of Indian fans from Britain were spot on. They supported India when they were playing but the rest of the time they were supporting England when they weren't playing India. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there were quite a few Asians supporting England yesterday too.

Not those of Pakistani origin! Except for my friend's daughter.

My sister and brother in law moved to Wales, had kids, now grown up, and both support Sunderland.
Probably the same with Indian cricket fans.

Yet you’ve so eloquently put forward a post on the subject ;)

Find it hilarious so many are going down the completely wrong line. Looking for outrage when there isn’t any to be had.

Not outraged but it’s a pretty silly question to ask IMO.

If you moved to Australia would you change teams in all sports?

Not outraged but it’s a pretty silly question to ask IMO.

If you moved to Australia would you change teams in all sports?

I would except when they're playing England. If I had kids born out there it would be up to them, but I'd want them to be proud of their heritage and also immerse themselves in everything Australian.

I would except when they're playing England. If I had kids born out there it would be up to them, but I'd want them to be proud of their heritage and also immerse themselves in everything Australian.

I think as mentioned above, most support England when not playing Pak/India/Bangladesh. But also - Australia didn't colonize England so maybe apples to oranges.

I wasn’t born in Sunderland, my dad was, I support Sunderland AFC. My kids weren’t born in Sunderland, they both support Sunderland AFC.

Child cruelty on both counts but you get my point.

There was a little Bangladeshi kid, no doubt technically English, in one of their early matches in all the kit having a great time with his family. Social learning would suggest that he will grow up supporting Bangladesh and this will not change. In fairness it looked a lot of fun! It is just what happens.

Can’t accuse any of the above of being glory hunters :lol:

I wasn’t born in Sunderland, my dad was, I support Sunderland AFC. My kids weren’t born in Sunderland, they both support Sunderland AFC.

Child cruelty on both counts but you get my point.

There was a little Bangladeshi kid, no doubt technically English, in one of their early matches in all the kit having a great time with his family. Social learning would suggest that he will grow up supporting Bangladesh and this will not change. In fairness it looked a lot of fun! It is just what happens.

Can’t accuse any of the above of being glory hunters :lol:
Same for me. Born and brought up in Leeds, became "football aware" late 90s when they were in Europe most seasons but there was never any doubt I would support Hull City who were constantly battling relegation out of the football league and lurching from one financial crisis to another at crumbling old Boothferry at the time. If it's in your blood it doesn't matter where you're born

Absolutely. And aren't these Indian fans doing exactly the same?
Yes

With PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) we have embraced the country we were born into and integrated with society on every level, in every profession and social class (because that’s still a thing).

With Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Afghans they come from much smaller countries and also from Islamic society and that’s why you won’t see many of these wearing England’s colours in any sport unless they are picked to play at a schoolboy and professional level.

Moeen Ali (whose grandmother was English), Kabeer Rashid, Hasib Hameed, Zafar Ansari to name a few would not have been playing on the fields of Bradford, Birmingham and London wearing an England cricket shirt but a Pakistani one.

Having worked in the Midlands, Yorkshire and London I’ve seen the kids playing cricket and it’s normally White & Black British and Indian origin kids wearing the England colours and the rest are wearing their fathers/grandfathers country.

Hopefully these things will change in the future, but for that to happen Generation X have to integrate into our society. I say our because I am British and anyone who has met me will agree.

Last edited:
Yes

With PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) we have embraced the country we were born into and integrated with society on every level, in every profession and social class (because that’s still a thing).

With Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Afghans they come from much smaller countries and also from Islamic society and that’s why you won’t see many of these wearing England’s colours in any sport unless they are picked to play at a schoolboy and professional level.

Moeen Ali (whose grandmother was English), Kabeer Rashid, Hasib Hameed, Zafar Ansari to name a few would not have been playing on the fields of Bradford, Birmingham and London wearing an England cricket shirt but a Pakistani one.

Having worked in the Midlands, Yorkshire and London I’ve seen the kids playing cricket and it’s normally White & Black British and Indian origin kids wearing the England colours and the rest are wearing their fathers/grandfathers country.

Hopefully these things will change in the future, but for that to happen Generation X have to integrate into our society. I say our because I am British and anyone who has met me will agree.

Moeen grew up an England fan.

I grew up as an England fan but it doesn’t matter who you support | Moeen Ali

should be one of the questions before you issue any passports.
ie In any sporting events can you swear that you will support the nations pertaining to a british passports and that any failure to adhere to this could result in removal of the passport and subsequent deportation action under treasonable measures?

That’s great!
So have my kids.

From Moeen Ali:
Am I one of their own? To be honest, growing up I always felt slightly different to my mates as I always supported England first and they tended to follow Pakistan. I genuinely thought they should be the same as me. But over time I have changed my view on this.

He thinks the same as me, that by the next generation hopefully they will be mostly England fans.

Last edited:
I think cricket fans from all nations have a connection through the game, as much as the country they choose to follow.

The only negative I have with some fans is the vuvuzelas that blare out. The atmosphere when Pakistan played and the England match at edgbaston was fantastic for me

Whoever plays Australia in the final will have my support

Back