India Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy watching India fans getting quieter as the day goes on, when they realise a defeat is forthcoming

Never bothered me, people with British passports and born here, choosing to support the nation of their forefathers

I once spent a full day, with Pakistan fans, way back in the days of games up ropery lane

They taught me what zindabad meant. Each to their own imo, apart from when the Yorkies come up here, in the don robson stand for the t20s. Uncouth heathens

I think people can support whatever team they want for whatever reasons they want regardless of what generation they may be. Not sure what the multinationalism of the team has to do with that.

You can’t see the link? Between choosing to play for the country of your residence as opposed to the country of your birth?

Clearly haven’t seen any of the hundreds of debates on the topic on this forum over the last 12 months or so then........

You can’t see the link? Between choosing to play for the country of your residence as opposed to the country of your birth?

Clearly haven’t seen any of the hundreds of debates on the topic on this forum over the last 12 months or so then........
I don't think it has any bearing on what team people choose to support. They are totally separate issues as far as I can see.

I enjoy watching India fans getting quieter as the day goes on, when they realise a defeat is forthcoming

Never bothered me, people with British passports and born here, choosing to support the nation of their forefathers

I once spent a full day, with Pakistan fans, way back in the days of games up ropery lane

They taught me what zindabad meant. Each to their own imo, apart from when the Yorkies come up here, in the don robson stand for the t20s. Uncouth heathens

Thanks for that Stephen, atleast someone is capable of sensible discussion - I tend to agree actually, with what you say.

I’ve played cricket with a number of Indian and Pakistani lads who support both teams but prefer the country of their heritage.

I find it fascinating, but overall am intrigued as to why. Similar to the West Indians - either way, I love how colourful it makes English cricket crowds.

The multinationalism and multiculturalism of the British Isles perhaps?

Also, the willingness of many to gain citizenship but then not ‘support’ their nation, with the acknowledgement that many of the 80% will be third or fourth generation British Asians.

Personally think it’s up for sensible debate as to people’s viewpoint on their first and second country/nationality - especially when you consider the multinationalism in the England cricket team alone. Many people seem keen to discuss that when the topic comes up, so I had hoped we could similarly discuss the makeup of cricket fans under the same ‘banner’.
All I can say is .... it is what it is.

People born in Glasgow supporting Ireland.
Rod Stewart born and growing up in London supporting Scotland.

I haven't got an answer but it must be annoying for England team and English supporters to go to a home game and find it's in practise an away fixture. Mind you I heard the Test crowd in West India when England play is mostly English. I wonder what the WI players think of that.

I don't think it has any bearing on what team people choose to support. They are totally separate issues as far as I can see.

Well in the case of your first sentence that’s fair enough - but it clearly does have a bearing, just ask Jofra Archer and hundreds before him.

In my experience the Indian and Pakistan fans will support England once their teams are out of the competition.

Remember how much the windies fans supported England over the Aussies in the t20 final?

I haven't got an answer but it must be annoying for England team and English supporters to go to a home game and find it's in practise an away fixture. Mind you I heard the Test crowd in West India when England play is mostly English. I wonder what the WI players think of that.

It’s nothing new tbf.

Half the crowd in England tests were of West Indies decent during the late 70s and into the 80s...

Good points Bri, regarding the WI situation though, that’s two things - one, WI Cricket is poorly supported at the moment, largely due to the mismanagement of the game over there and two, England supporters are far and away the greatest traveling supporters in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back