IF Phillips got the job..

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't get Keane which is likely we won't then Super Kev is my choice for manager, looking at Ainsworth and managers like that just don't fill me with confidence. SKP knows the club, as people said he has been involved for 5 years with some decent clubs, Leicester being a the biggest of them, getting his badges, look at Gerrard Liverpool u18s for a while now Rangers and are top of the SPL, probably future Liverpool Manager.Lampard did good with Derby and then went back to Chelsea and he has them doing well. My opinion SKP deserves his shot with us! HA'WAY Super Kev
You mention Gerrard...he is managing in a league where.normally just two teams slog it out season after season...

48 hours ago I was dead set against KP getting it, but I’ve thought about it a lot since and it just seems like the right course of action.

I think he’d have a Keane 2006/07 effect on us as a club.

Job would most likely swallow up Stendel or Ainsworth just like Ross.

Phillips would get a bit more time but not much...If we end up outside the play offs by Xmas people will want him out...He would be mental to take this job

Tbh looking at some of the names linked id rather take a punt on phillips. Im not saying he would be my first choice but the owner is showing a complete lack of imagination and ambition looking at the likes of parkinson and ainsworth.

Phillips will have far better knowledge of players in England than Stendel he’s works at numerous English clubs Stendel could barely speak English last season

We've tried managers with experience, we've tried up and coming managers, we've tried nice guys who've done well in worse divisions.

Would indicate the total ineptness of the current owners.
Phillips is a Sunderland legend but a decent player doesn’t make a good manager.
If an appointment of Phillips was made, someone whom has no managerial experience would scream appeasement for the fans and buy the current owner some time and breathing space.
Unfortunately the current situation is bound to cause fans to speculate. Donald prides himself of engagement with the fans but this isn’t working at the moment due to the silence.
IF SKP is appointed, every Sunderland supporter should seriously question the owners.
Some will be happy with this most who witnessed him play hadvthe golden years of our club (unless you seen the 1930s) and would relish him.
Let’s see what happens. If it’s Philips. Be really concerned.
Stopped reading after the first sentence. Total ineptness, really? Going to have to go on the ignore list for total ineptness if typing a decent post.

Phillips is a Sunderland legend but a decent player doesn’t make a good manager.
If an appointment of Phillips was made, someone whom has no managerial experience would scream appeasement for the fans and buy the current owner some time and breathing space.
Unfortunately the current situation is bound to cause fans to speculate. Donald prides himself of engagement with the fans but this isn’t working at the moment due to the silence.
IF SKP is appointed, every Sunderland supporter should seriously question the owners.
Some will be happy with this most who witnessed him play hadvthe golden years of our club (unless you seen the 1930s) and would relish him.

Were Charlton concerned when they appointed Bowyer?

Seemed to pull the players and the fans closer together. Maybe there's something to be said for a player who might have a bit of respect at a club taking over and being positive. Won't always work, but then managers with excellent records doesn't always work out either.

I'd say Phillips preparation of playing here in front of big crowds at the top level and a host of decent clubs and his coaching experience might not give him manager experience but against the record of Jack Ross playing for the likes of Hartlepool and managing Alloa and St Mirren then it stand him in better stead.

Last edited:
Whoever it is it needs to be a person the supporters can fully get behind. He would have more time than other names mentioned.

For that reason, I’d take him over most of the league one level names mentioned
not sure of his management pedigree mate, you've got to check the track record imo, stop taking punts

everyone is a punt

Last edited:
We are in L1 Phillips is learning we cannot afford much it’s a marriage in heaven if Phillips executes

It would all depend on who his assistant would be. I think he needs a bit of lunatic by his side as SKP comes across as quite a quiet bloke. Let's be honest though it would be fantastic to see such a legend of a player as manager.
I've heard Nigel Pearson mentioned as a possible No2. He's definitely a loon and could be a good pairing with SKP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back