IF Phillips got the job..

Different time, different league, different owners no comparison.
I was asking the question because you stated a decent player doesn’t make a good manager. Has no managerial experience. Don’t see much difference between Keane and Phillips. In the championship under Keane was a disaster in league 1 if Phillips gets the job also a disaster

Even with investment we're in league one. Exciting though the thought might be BSA, Dyche, Hughton won't entertain us this season and, arguably, wouldn't necessarily have the skills for getting third division players promoted being used to a different calibre of footballer. I think Stendl, Ainsworth and SKP could all be good appointments. Of the old guard experienced manager crew that we could actually attract them McCarthy would probably be the best equipped, the side he got promoted to the top flight was basically shit!

Would indicate the total ineptness of the current owners.
Phillips is a Sunderland legend but a decent player doesn’t make a good manager.
If an appointment of Phillips was made, someone whom has no managerial experience would scream appeasement for the fans and buy the current owner some time and breathing space.
Unfortunately the current situation is bound to cause fans to speculate. Donald prides himself of engagement with the fans but this isn’t working at the moment due to the silence.
IF SKP is appointed, every Sunderland supporter should seriously question the owners.
Some will be happy with this most who witnessed him play hadvthe golden years of our club (unless you seen the 1930s) and would relish him.
Let’s see what happens. If it’s Philips. Be really concerned.
What a load of rubbish, you don’t have to have experience to be a good manager.

48 hours ago I was dead set against KP getting it, but I’ve thought about it a lot since and it just seems like the right course of action.

I think he’d have a Keane 2006/07 effect on us as a club.

Job would most likely swallow up Stendel or Ainsworth just like Ross.
After the first few defeats the knives would be out j opust like when things turned sour in his last days in a Sunderland shirt. I would hate to see this legends memories tarnished.

If he wasn’t an ex player, would his name be on the radar?
Be honest, this would be a sentimental appointment. No other reason. Man U did it with Solskjaer. There’s not a cat in hell’s chance they’d have given him the job if he hadn’t played for them.
If Simeone hadn’t been an ex-Atlético player, he wouldn’t have been on their radar.

If Guardiola hadn’t been a Barcelona player, he wouldn’t have been on their radar

if Zidane wasn’t a Real great, he wouldn’t be on their radar

Would Cesare Maldini have been Milan manager if he hadn’t played for them?

If Lee Bowyer wasn’t an ex-Charlton player, would he have been on their radar?

If Simeone hadn’t been an ex-Atlético player, he wouldn’t have been on their radar.

If Guardiola hadn’t been a Barcelona player, he wouldn’t have been on their radar

if Zidane wasn’t a Real great, he wouldn’t be on their radar

Would Cesare Maldini have been Milan manager if he hadn’t played for them?

If Lee Bowyer wasn’t an ex-Charlton player, would he have been on their radar?

So sentimental then! ;) You might have a valid comparison with Bowyer, the rest had an incredible network of support and money behind them. We are a basket case in the third division.
It’s entirely possible SKP could be an amazing appointment. We can’t afford for the next manager to fail, we are in a tenuous position.

I love how some think that a certain type of manager will guarantee success Over a different type.

if, Ultimately, whoever gets the job gets us up and, more importantly, installs some genuine confidence and momentum into the club, what does it matter if he was Wycombe manager, a sentimental ex player or a boring choice?

lers Just wait and see who we get and hope that he’s the man to do it!

As stated I’d agree. But not at this point of the club. Too much pressure for a rookie.

Can't see why it would be too much pressure. It's fuckin' mission impossible as it stands so what has he got to lose - and he's been written off before and ended up Europe's top scorer. I've got a feeling he's just one of those types of people who knows football inside out, instinctively, which is why a fella 5 foot 6 was a nuisance every time he played football. Not too dissimilar to Brian Clough, and maybe he just has that brain that he knows what is needed.

So sentimental then! ;) You might have a valid comparison with Bowyer, the rest had an incredible network of support and money behind them. We are a basket case in the third division.
Real and Barcelona especially are incredibly pressured position, anything less than champions is seen as failure and, at Real in particular, the fans tend to turn on managers and players very quickly.

Would indicate the total ineptness of the current owners.
Phillips is a Sunderland legend but a decent player doesn’t make a good manager.
If an appointment of Phillips was made, someone whom has no managerial experience would scream appeasement for the fans and buy the current owner some time and breathing space.
Unfortunately the current situation is bound to cause fans to speculate. Donald prides himself of engagement with the fans but this isn’t working at the moment due to the silence.
IF SKP is appointed, every Sunderland supporter should seriously question the owners.
Some will be happy with this most who witnessed him play hadvthe golden years of our club (unless you seen the 1930s) and would relish him.
Let’s see what happens. If it’s Philips. Be really concerned.

I want him as manager

In an ideal world, I would prefer Skp to walk into a happy club with itself sorted out. As it is, whoever comes in will be up against it with a backdrop of the owners trying to find either investment or buyers and the fans in a difficult position of it being our lowest ever point.

How many managers walk into happy klerbs?

Every appointment we could make will be met with the same derision because ppl love to be negative and moan. Whoever gets appointed will get my support and time before I decide if it’s a bad one or not

Back