IF Phillips got the job..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experience is vastly over rated.

Get a Keane or SKP in and give the fans someone to get behind. Someone they will have a tad more patience with.
If we simply showed attacking intent the crowd would start getting behind the team then it would sharp turn into a place where teams don’t want to come and play. Under Ross they looked happy to come here and raise their game to take a point. Our lack of home wins cost us last year. Probably only won just over half, wasn’t good enough.

Get a Keane or SKP in and give the fans someone to get behind. Someone they will have a tad more patience with.

In an ideal world, I would prefer Skp to walk into a happy club with itself sorted out. As it is, whoever comes in will be up against it with a backdrop of the owners trying to find either investment or buyers and the fans in a difficult position of it being our lowest ever point.

In an ideal world, I would prefer Skp to walk into a happy club with itself sorted out. As it is, whoever comes in will be up against it with a backdrop of the owners trying to find either investment or buyers and the fans in a difficult position of it being our lowest ever point.
Same here but that's half the reason I'd want him. He'd give the place a lift and he'd have the good will of the fans.

Would indicate the total ineptness of the current owners.
Phillips is a Sunderland legend but a decent player doesn’t make a good manager.
If an appointment of Phillips was made, someone whom has no managerial experience would scream appeasement for the fans and buy the current owner some time and breathing space.
Unfortunately the current situation is bound to cause fans to speculate. Donald prides himself of engagement with the fans but this isn’t working at the moment due to the silence.
IF SKP is appointed, every Sunderland supporter should seriously question the owners.
Some will be happy with this most who witnessed him play hadvthe golden years of our club (unless you seen the 1930s) and would relish him.
Let’s see what happens. If it’s Philips. Be really concerned.
Would be disastrous. Great bloke, cracking player but comes across as a bit wet through like. Don’t think he would handle the players or the job itself. He’s too nice.

Keane for me now. Need some nasty.
Same here but that's half the reason I'd want him. He'd give the place a lift and he'd have the good will of the fans.
Not enough.

Would be disastrous. Great bloke, cracking player but comes across as a bit wet through like. Don’t think he would handle the players or the job itself. He’s too nice.

Keane for me now. Need some nasty.

Not enough.
Not enough what?

Oh and just like me you haven't a clue what he'd be like. You're already writing him off
I'm not really behind the SKP bandwagon at all, but nobody can meaningfully say he will or would not make a good manager. You've got to start somewhere and he's been a moderately successful coach. It's nice he wants it too.
Agreed

This is bullshit.

Phillips is a very highly rated assistant manager and coach everywhere he has been and could very well just be waiting to be given the opportunity to become a manager.

Yes he has no experience but I would to imagine if he gets the job its based on his experience as an assistant manager and how highly regarded he was by his previous backroom team members.

He wouldn’t be my first choice but that’s more down to not wanting his legacy risked because if it went badly I guarantee our knacker element would turn on him. As other posters have said though the whole experience thing isn’t all that, we’ve had just as many experienced managers fail as we’ve had inexperienced managers do okay - Moyes and Keane being prime examples.

He was a ruthlessly dedicated player and I don't see why his habits will have changed. Played til he was 40 and that is some doing as a striker.I'd trust him as a manager. He was always level headed and not one of the boys so to speak. Always comes over well on TV with logical assessment of matches.

-Knows the club and supporters far better than any other serious candidate (I think Keane is now out of the running, don't think he ever was in contention tbh)
-Would lift us all (even if just temporary post announcement, we bloody need it)
-Would surely place emphasis on pacey attacking football which would make any side in this division nervous
-A run of good immediate results would put an extra 7-10k on our gates
-Experience counts for nothing in the last 10 or so years for managers who have came here, but at the same I just feel that the job would likely swallow up Ainsworth, Stendel, etc (might have experience in the division but managing us even at the same level is a completely different kettle of fish due to our basket case tendencies in recent times.)

I do think that KP will need an experienced team around him though.

Last edited:

I'm agreeing with pretty much everything you say today.

Grayson is one of the most experienced league one and championship managers going. I wouldn't want him within 100 miles of the club.

Experience means fuck all

Not enough what?

Oh and just like me you haven't a clue what he'd be like. You're already writing him off

Agreed

I’m certainly not wrong skp off. I would get behind him as much as any other manager. But it’s just an opinion that it’s not a good fit. When I say not enough I mean we need more than a quick boost by sentimentality.

Yea fair enough, I just think the situation calls for someone charismatic and can create a kind of us against the world mentality because it could get unpleasant. Where as Kevin appears a bit more thoughtful and possibly aloof.

Either way, it would be great to see him back at some point.

I'm not really behind the SKP bandwagon at all, but nobody can meaningfully say he will or would not make a good manager. You've got to start somewhere and he's been a moderately successful coach. It's nice he wants it too.

I totally get that.
But we need to get out of this division and inexperience won’t.
Even experienced people struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back