I wanted him gone before he started, but after Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure anyone knows who the realistic candidates were. All we know is that those who didn't want him are currently being proved right. Before his run after Christmas, we had dropped from 6th to 15th, with the "new manager bounce". Stewart Donald held onto Ross for too long, then made a piss poor appointment. Every year is the same, "give him games", "its pre season", even players get "when he's fit". We have our second choice goalkeeper in this year, backward step and it makes you wonder how many of our new signings are considered to be better replacements. The problem isn't about giving him time, its always about the wrong appointment in the first place and is contributing to being where we are. No thought given to appointments whatsoever, just tried and trusted average to below average careers. We don't think outside the box at all, and this was predicted by a majority of Sunderland fans, who didn't expect anything less

We know who was linked, who was available and who would be interested. We know that Stendel was on the list, Phillips applied, they got turned down for Mark Robbins, there were rumours about Clough and Ainsworth was interviewed. Those interested were a much of a muchness. Stendel was record-breaking levels of shite at Hearts (he was my first choice and a lot of other people's, I'd say), Clough is another who has never had success above L1 and then Ainsworth was young and untested. He's gone on to achieve promotion, but from what I remember, was next to Parkinson at the bottom of people's lists and when the final two were announced, it was met with huge disappointment.

Yes, we should have obviously got rid of Jack Ross earlier. But we were in a position where we were never going to go for someone unproven at the point we appointed Parkinson. I genuinely don't know what people expected in terms of a manager.

I agree that the keeper situation looks shit at the minute mind.

Don't get me wrong, more shots is certainly an improvement on what PP served up last season. However, we need better quality of chances created. The tweak to formation - moving to 3-5-2 from 3-4-3 - is not promising IMO. We've taken a team that struggled to create and removed one of the few players/roles that were capable of that creation. Some of it may well be personnel related, but whichever way it goes we need Parkinson to have his Reading moment and realise that creativity - genuine high quality chances being created - is imperative for what we need to do this season. The choices he's made in his time here to date suggest that he's missing the point.

Not convinced we prioritise creating high quality chances tbh. Getting the ball into the box in any way (getting into channels, getting out wide, having CB's cross from deep etc) and hope at some point a defender will fuck up a clearance, or the ball will drop for us seems to be priority.

Yeh after one game it's too early to start shouting "get rid". Until the ownership is sorted out his job is safe. It's going to be a very long season so i'm not in the least worried he didn't start Neil or Diamond. Neither have had major experience, especially Neil. You would throw him in 1st game of the season? A must win game? The lads should have won by all accounts despite the utter shite first 30 minutes or so.

We know who was linked, who was available and who would be interested. We know that Stendel was on the list, Phillips applied, they got turned down for Mark Robbins, there were rumours about Clough and Ainsworth was interviewed. Those interested were a much of a muchness. Stendel was record-breaking levels of shite at Hearts (he was my first choice and a lot of other people's, I'd say), Clough is another who has never had success above L1 and then Ainsworth was young and untested. He's gone on to achieve promotion, but from what I remember, was next to Parkinson at the bottom of people's lists and when the final two were announced, it was met with huge disappointment.

Yes, we should have obviously got rid of Jack Ross earlier. But we were in a position where we were never going to go for someone unproven at the point we appointed Parkinson. I genuinely don't know what people expected in terms of a manager.

I think people expected as per SDs promise that we would get someone who could get the club connected with the fans again, this appointment drove the fuckers away in the 1000’s. I think the place needed a lift, someone to grab the bull by the horns, we got a bit of a wet lettuce. I had the same feeling when I heard Grayson was on his way up

Pearson was linked in the press as well and was rumoured to have declined because we wouldn't allow him to bring his own staff in. He ended up going to a prem side and turned their season around until the daft bastards sacked him, pissed the players off and didn't win another game before being relegated.
I think people expected as per SDs promise that we would get someone who could get the club connected with the fans again, this appointment drove the fuckers away in the 1000’s. I think the place needed a lift, someone to grab the bull by the horns, we got a bit of a wet lettuce. I had the same feeling when I heard Grayson was on his way up

We employed an icon of poverty.

Pearson was linked in the press as well and was rumoured to have declined because we wouldn't allow him to bring his own staff in. He ended up going to a prem side and turned their season around until the daft bastards sacked him, pissed the players off and didn't win another game before being relegated.

We employed an icon of poverty.
:lol:

Personally I think this reliance on a manager is foolhardy. The destination mid to long term is set from history and strategy.

New manager bounces more often than not cause further issues and paper over cracks.

I'm not his biggest fan, I thought he was a poor appointment, but that record doesn't tell the whole story.

If we strip back the cup games, because it's not really representative of our league form, our opposition or our first team always, we're left with 26 games.

26 games
11 wins
8 draws
7 defeats

42.3% win ratio
1.57 PPG = 72pts per season

But even that we can break down further.

Before January (first couple of months at the club)

10 games
3 wins
3 draws
4 defeats

30% win ratio
1.2 PPG = 55pts per season

January onwards

16 games
8 wins
5 draws
3 defeats

50% win ratio
1.81 PPG = 84 points

Looking at Parkinson's stats doesn't factor in the massive improvement in results since he got the squad up to fitness and a few signings in. That PPG ratio has us in the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years and promoted automatically in the other 2.

I don't think he's a great manager and he would never have been my choice, but he's not the disaster people make him out to be either. As for those who think our squad is a midtable one, they must think PP is outstanding for getting those kind of results out of them.

I'll be giving Parkinson at least the first 10 games before I get on this back. I'll be hoping we can improve into the 2 points per game territory that will see us go up automatically though.
It’s not just the points return though is it? There’s no buzz. No excitement. No expectations of him doing nowt. No entertainment. He’s dour. At this level a club getting double the gates of anyone else should’ve been going out to win every game. Dennis Smiths lot did.
I think he’ll be gone 10-14 days before Xmas. Earlier if there’s a takeover.

Not convinced we prioritise creating high quality chances tbh. Getting the ball into the box in any way (getting into channels, getting out wide, having CB's cross from deep etc) and hope at some point a defender will fuck up a clearance, or the ball will drop for us seems to be priority.
Agreed. It's beyond basic tbh. Not good enough for modern football

Northern accents aren’t inspiring football wise unless they’re NE or Scouse. The mishmash blur grating of midlands-York’s-lancs accents would send a glass eye to sleep. Parkinson-Wilkinson-Grayson etc.....shudders.

I'm not his biggest fan, I thought he was a poor appointment, but that record doesn't tell the whole story.

If we strip back the cup games, because it's not really representative of our league form, our opposition or our first team always, we're left with 26 games.

26 games
11 wins
8 draws
7 defeats

42.3% win ratio

10 games
3 wins
3 draws
4 defeats

30% win ratio

January onwards

16 games
8 wins
5 draws
3 defeats

50% win ratio
1.81 PPG = 84 points

Looking at Parkinson's stats doesn't factor in the massive improvement in results since he got the squad up to fitness and a few signings in. That PPG ratio has us in the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years and promoted automatically in the other 2.

I don't think he's a great manager and he would never have been my choice, but he's not the disaster people make him out to be either. As for those who think our squad is a midtable one, they must think PP is outstanding for getting those kind of results out of them.

I'll be giving Parkinson at least the first 10 games before I get on this back. I'll be hoping we can improve into the 2 points per game territory that will see us go up automatically though.

Excellent balanced post.

Excellent balanced post.
If it’s balanced, it would be everything you aren’t. I only hope to God you aren’t involved in this football club
It’s only excellent because it is selective. Over the whole of his career he has 36% win ratio. You can’t get more balance than a 17 year time span, unless it’s 18 and above obviously. We don’t need to strip back the games,

26 games
11 wins
8 draws
7 defeats

42.3% win ratio

10 games
3 wins
3 draws
4 defeats

30% win ratio

January onwards

16 games
8 wins
5 draws
3 defeats

50% win ratio
1.81 PPG = 84 points

The fact that even the most positive posts about him are totally reliant on having to whitewash the bad stuff, and in turn extrapolate a handpicked selection of games to be buzzing about finishing in the playoffs (when he didn't even manage that) when the target was top of the league and 100 points speaks volumes about his tenure here tbh. If we don't count all the dross served up he was amazing.

Id still give him until end of October though. Absolutely pointless giving him the bullet now after giving him the window.

I don’t know mate. We must be bleeding money as it is. How do you think he’ll fund us in the championship? There’s no salary cap there to help cover his arse.
Actually I think his aim is just to get us to the championship then flip us for a quick profit .
So he won’t have to fund a season up there .

it was always the don and the curly headed fucks plan .haven't a clue About the Uruguayan mind .

Actually I think his aim is just to get us to the championship then flip us for a quick profit .
So he won’t have to fund a season up there .

it was always the don and the curly headed fucks plan .haven't a clue About the Uruguayan mind .
That might be his idea marra, but even in the championship he won’t get the price he’s supposedly asking. That price plus what it’s going to take to make us competitive up there plus trying to resurrect the academy, plus possibly no crowds due to Covid. If that’s his plan he’s an even bigger space cadet than I took him for.

That might be his idea marra, but even in the championship he won’t get the price he’s supposedly asking. That price plus what it’s going to take to make us competitive up there plus trying to resurrect the academy, plus possibly no crowds due to Covid. If that’s his plan he’s an even bigger space cadet than I took him for.
He’s not on this planet man the dumpy little f***ing plant pot that he is .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back