I wanted him gone before he started, but after Saturday

We had the most shots on target in the entire EFL on Saturday, we also had the best xG in League 1. To me it's hard to blame the manager under them circumstances because it means we've created a lot of chances, plus Burge has tossed the gameplan out the window after 3 minutes.

Logon or register to see this image

But if we create that much regularly, the results have to come with it.
That says that we didn't create any chances of note until we threw the kitchen sink at them at the end. Loads of speculative shots from low quality areas but not much that really hurt. It took us to well into the second half to outperform a team as lacking in ambition as Bristol Rovers. That isn't a good thing.

That says that we didn't create any chances of note until we threw the kitchen sink at them at the end. Loads of speculative shots from low quality areas but not much that really hurt. It took us to well into the second half to outperform a team as lacking in ambition as Bristol Rovers. That isn't a good thing.

The first half was terrible, nobody is disputing that, we were clearly panicked after the shit start.

The first half was terrible, nobody is disputing that, we were clearly panicked after the shit start.
Yeah agreed. However, looking at the vertical rises, so much of it came in desperation time right at the end. We've got to find a way to create much more high quality attack by design rather than through chaos. Given that is the story of last year (last two really) too, it's entirely fair to be pessimistic on the back of Saturday.

It will not be long mate, just hang on in there.
Porkinson could have a massive shite on the boardroom table then wipe his arse on the curtains and Donald still wouldn’t sack him. If he can keep us out of the relegation zone his job will be safe and I think he knows it mate.

Yeah agreed. However, looking at the vertical rises, so much of it came in desperation time right at the end. We've got to find a way to create much more high quality attack by design rather than through chaos. Given that is the story of last year (last two really) too, it's entirely fair to be pessimistic on the back of Saturday.

But then if you look at the Hull game, which I don't have a graph for, it would show a similar pattern of us out-creating the opposition and with better quality chances than Bristol Rovers.

I think it's too early for wanting Parkinson sacked, but he's always gonna be 2 or 3 bad results from it, because no fucker wanted him here in the first place.

33 games
12 wins
11 draws
10 defeats

36.36% win ratio.
1.42 PPG = 65pts per season.

I'm not his biggest fan, I thought he was a poor appointment, but that record doesn't tell the whole story.

If we strip back the cup games, because it's not really representative of our league form, our opposition or our first team always, we're left with 26 games.

26 games
11 wins
8 draws
7 defeats

42.3% win ratio
1.57 PPG = 72pts per season

But even that we can break down further.

Before January (first couple of months at the club)

10 games
3 wins
3 draws
4 defeats

30% win ratio
1.2 PPG = 55pts per season

January onwards

16 games
8 wins
5 draws
3 defeats

50% win ratio
1.81 PPG = 84 points

Looking at Parkinson's stats doesn't factor in the massive improvement in results since he got the squad up to fitness and a few signings in. That PPG ratio has us in the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years and promoted automatically in the other 2.

I don't think he's a great manager and he would never have been my choice, but he's not the disaster people make him out to be either. As for those who think our squad is a midtable one, they must think PP is outstanding for getting those kind of results out of them.

I'll be giving Parkinson at least the first 10 games before I get on this back. I'll be hoping we can improve into the 2 points per game territory that will see us go up automatically though.

But then if you look at the Hull game, which I don't have a graph for, it would show a similar pattern of us out-creating the opposition and with better quality chances than Bristol Rovers.

I think it's too early for wanting Parkinson sacked, but he's always gonna be 2 or 3 bad results from it, because no fucker wanted him here in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, more shots is certainly an improvement on what PP served up last season. However, we need better quality of chances created. The tweak to formation - moving to 3-5-2 from 3-4-3 - is not promising IMO. We've taken a team that struggled to create and removed one of the few players/roles that were capable of that creation. Some of it may well be personnel related, but whichever way it goes we need Parkinson to have his Reading moment and realise that creativity - genuine high quality chances being created - is imperative for what we need to do this season. The choices he's made in his time here to date suggest that he's missing the point.

Jesus wept, they might mean fuck all when comparing managers but they mean an awful f***ing lot about someone's career. Parkinson is allowed to be judged on his career to date and that is 36% over a 17 year career. You bang on about how Ross didn't inherit a mess of a team, yet Parkinson made them worse. yet another fan happy with less than mediocrity in the 3rd tier of English football.

I'll judge him on this season. As I've said before, he was an uninspiring choice, but there were no clearly better realistic candidates at the time who would have got us promoted with that squad last season. It wasn't good enough, so I'm not going to right him off based on what happened last year. I don't see how judging him this season makes me happy with mediocrity at all. That phrased just gets tossed about on here if you don't agree with the consensus that every single person involved at the club is shit and a chancer and needs replacing immediately.

Last edited:
Whilst I'm in complete agreement he is not the answer, I'd love to know who we would replace him with if he were to leave.... He will be on a very modest salary and getting rid would likely mean a pay off and in order to replace him with someone better paying more and potentially compensation to the new manager...

I'll judge him on this season. As I've said before, he was an uninspiring choice, but there were no clearly better realistic candidates at the time who would have got us promoted with that squad last season. It wasn't good enough, so I'm not going to right him off based on what happened last year. I don't see how judging him this season makes me happy with mediocrity at all. That phrased just gets tossed about on here if you don't agree with the consensus that every single person involved at the club is shit and a chancer and needs replacing immediately.
as does the phrase "give him time", "its not his team". The fact remains over a 17 year period his stats are pretty poor, I didn't need a season for anyone to tell me that. No one else is going off last year, just his overall record to date. Replacing Immediately? Its been nearly a f***ing year man and two windows, yes the season was curtailed somewhat, but even that is giving him a get out clause because we had suddenly turned to shit

how many more games are you willing to suffer with this idiot in charge?
Wasn't that bad ffs. Hit the bar twice, dominated, their keeper made good save. You seem to feel entitled, but you are not. When did our fans become such wet fannies. Give it a couple of games at least. If still struggling I will join you but changing managers is not a guarantee of success.

as does the phrase "give him time", "its not his team". The fact remains over a 17 year period his stats are pretty poor, I didn't need a season for anyone to tell me that. No one else is going off last year, just his overall record to date. Replacing Immediately? Its been nearly a f***ing year man and two windows, yes the season was curtailed somewhat, but even that is giving him a get out clause because we had suddenly turned to shit

It's not as much giving him time as it's quite literally the start of the season. It hasn't even been two windows, it's not closed yet.

I don't know enough about Phil Parkinson or the circumstances he was in at previous clubs to judge him. What I do know is that he had a very similar CV to the other realistic candidates at the time he was appointed.

I had also seen enough of our squad from last season to know that they weren't good enough to go up, regardless of who we realistically brought in. I certainly won't be saying that it's not his team this season mind.

Porkinson could have a massive shite on the boardroom table then wipe his arse on the curtains and Donald still wouldn’t sack him. If he can keep us out of the relegation zone his job will be safe and I think he knows it mate.
You sure that’s his remit ? Keep us up?!!!!

I hate the don , but he will want promotion 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

It's not as much giving him time as it's quite literally the start of the season. It hasn't even been two windows, it's not closed yet.

I don't know enough about Phil Parkinson or the circumstances he was in at previous clubs to judge him. What I do know is that he had a very similar CV to the other realistic candidates at the time he was appointed.

I had also seen enough of our squad from last season to know that they weren't good enough to go up, regardless of who we realistically brought in. I certainly won't be saying that it's not his team this season mind.
I'm not sure anyone knows who the realistic candidates were. All we know is that those who didn't want him are currently being proved right. Before his run after Christmas, we had dropped from 6th to 15th, with the "new manager bounce". Stewart Donald held onto Ross for too long, then made a piss poor appointment. Every year is the same, "give him games", "its pre season", even players get "when he's fit". We have our second choice goalkeeper in this year, backward step and it makes you wonder how many of our new signings are considered to be better replacements. The problem isn't about giving him time, its always about the wrong appointment in the first place and is contributing to being where we are. No thought given to appointments whatsoever, just tried and trusted average to below average careers. We don't think outside the box at all, and this was predicted by a majority of Sunderland fans, who didn't expect anything less

Back