How many think this house would be idyllic and how many think the opposite.

Would end up going mental if I lived there. Be like The Shining.

Fire brigade and ambulance will be a day away.
Probably get snowed in for weeks on end.
Crap

I spent 3 years in the Outer Hebrides and the weather wasn't that bad. We had strong winds a lot of the time and when it rained (and was also windy) it was normally horizontal... however, it only snowed once in three years and the climate was generally mild due to it being closer to the warm gulf stream - we seldom got frost. In he summer months the sky is still light at 11 pm - in fact I believe they get 3-4 hours more daylight in the Isles than in London at midsummer - albeit this is reversed in midwinter.

Looks great. Thirty odd miles to school a bit of an issue though so wouldn’t do for now but in ten years definitely.

My thoughts exactly!

My sister has a weekend cottage much closer to home in Swaledale two steps from the CB pub. Much more practical. About an hour and fifteen to get there from SR 4. She rents it out anarl if anyone’s interested.
Put some details or link on a pm please mate?

Put some details or link on a pm please mate?
@girojim anarl - I just texted her to see if she has pics or a link so stand by.

If you’re familiar with the area (they shot loads of ‘All Creatures Great and Small around there!) it’s a beautiful spot and has remained completely unchanged since we went when I was a bairn. Her cottage is in a terraced block of about five or six just off the ‘main’ road a couple hundred yards past the CB on the same side. I think you can see Scar House out the back.

Yes and no, I don't drive so it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare (unless I could get myself some kind of trike and trailer)......it's canny isolated anarl, so nobody will hear you scream if some angry serial killer comes a knocking :lol:

Would it be split on age or personality type?

Looks absolutely class for the money. Ideal for somebody who can work from home permanently aslong as it can get decent Internet access like.

Get bored with living there after a bit, Highland winters are grey and dismal.
They reckon that more than 1 in 3 people who move up here go back before their second winter - even where I am, it can be a bit of a culture shock if you come from a more urban area
Looks absolutely class for the money. Ideal for somebody who can work from home permanently aslong as it can get decent Internet access like.
Community satellite internet which goes off more often than it works - no mobile signal either

Last edited:
They reckon that more than 1 in 3 people who move up here go back before their second winter - even where I am, it can be a bit of a culture shock if you come from a more urban area

Community satellite internet which goes off more often than it works - no mobile signal either
That's no good then. Retirement home only for most people.

That's no good then. Retirement home only for most people.
These communities are high priority for high speed broadband but the pandemic has slowed down the progress - should be fine in a year or two though
currently live rurally and isolated so I'd be in like a shot !!!
Same with me, although probably not isolated as much as I'd like to be - me and the missus are trying to organise a viewing at the weekend

Last edited:
It looks idyllic and a nice place to spend a few weeks but any longer reality would start to set in.

Isolated, no internet, no shops, services, clouds of annoying bloodsucking creatures etc would require some readjustment.

After a year I’d probably be crackers or gone full Amish

Last edited:

Back