How many think this house would be idyllic and how many think the opposite.

These communities are high priority for high speed broadband but the pandemic has slowed down the progress - should be fine in a year or two though

Same with me, although probably not isolated as much as I'd like to be - me and the missus are trying to organise a viewing at the weekend
well if you ever want a house-sitter ?? Or a house swap to a rural smallholding on the west coast of Ireland..............

It looks idyllic and a nice place to spend a few weeks but any longer reality would start to set in.

Isolated, no internet, no shops, services etc would require some readjustment.

After a year I’d probably be crackers or gone full Amish
It's not that isolated, you have services a few miles away and Inverness is less than an hour away
If you are looking for isolated try Ardnamurchan or Knoydart - now they are isolated

It looks idyllic and a nice place to spend a few weeks but any longer reality would start to set in.

Isolated, no internet, no shops, services, annoying bloodsucking creatures etc would require some readjustment.

After a year I’d probably be crackers or gone full Amish

That was the reason I posed the question. I watched a film "Into the Wild" on Netflix recently, based on a true story about a young lad who gave up everything to go hiking in the wild and ultimately to Akaska. It's a huge cultural change for most of us but there's something strangely bewitching about returning to a more simple way of living.

That was the reason I posed the question. I watched a film "Into the Wild" on Netflix recently, based on a true story about a young lad who gave up everything to go hiking in the wild and ultimately to Akaska. It's a huge cultural change for most of us but there's something strangely bewitching about returning to a more simple way of living.
The thing is, we found that you really have to want to be here - it was a long term plan for us, and we've worked very hard to achieve it - but anyone who thinks it would be a great idea to move here without thinking it through will probably be back down the road in 18 months

Last edited:
Not really a good example though he died in an old school bus in the woods didn't he?

Not really a good example though he died in an old school bus in the woods didn't he?
Accidentally poisoned himself and died horribly

It’s a lovely idea to get back to nature, isolate from the madness of modern life etc but it can be hard work. I spent a couple of weeks in a vegan commune in Wales and first thing I did afterwards was buy a roadside burger to get myself right.

Dramatic lifestyle changes can be surprisingly stressful and sanctimonious hippies are just one part of it.

Spent the night in the van up the road from there, great views next morning driving to Gairloch there was deer racing me in a field next to the road, heading back up that way in June

well if you ever want a house-sitter ?? Or a house swap to a rural smallholding on the west coast of Ireland..............
Rural small holding in west of Ireland sounds great. Looked at a place in Galway a couple of years ago as my wife was offered a job at Uni there. 200k and had its own lake front. Not far from wild Atlantic way. Five years earlier or once our son finishes school and we’d almost certainly have gone for it. Galway, Clare or Northumberland for me next.

Spent the night in the van up the road from there, great views next morning driving to Gairloch there was deer racing me in a field next to the road, heading back up that way in June
When I was very young we had a few holidays in Gairloch. Absolutely stunning place and every little nook and cranny and inlet seems to have an idyllic beach - Gairloch Sands, Big Sands, Opinan, Melanudrigal, Aultbea, Gruinard ... Parents loved the place.
Last time we went I was around age seven. It pissed down for 12 days. We burnt the skin off our backs on the two days it was sunny but it was largely a miserable holiday and we never went back. Brother now lives in Airdrie and I’d love to have a drive up from there one day when I’m back home but would hope its on one of the handful of sunny days they have up there.

I almost bought this back in 2016. So glad I didn’t!

Lots of properties are now getting snapped up as holiday homes in the Highlands.............some areas are facing the same problem as the likes of Cornwall/Devon etc.
It’s nothing new. @EcosseMackem will be classed as a white settler.

Currently looking for a 3 bedroom detached with garden and space for car under 250k. Very nice, but probably end up with a new build lego house in Sunderland for that.....or a nice house that someone has died
In and hasn't had a new carpet/kitchen/bathroom since 1989.

Previous house of mine. Garden gets the sun all day. 2 minute walk from Skinandis which @monkeytassle and @willowbankbear will confirm is the best nightclub in the UK.

If they could improve the wifi I'd move there tomorrow.
The last place I lived in Caithness (Bower), the internet was 1.4mbs. That was a fun 9 months.

Back