Homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesnt make it acceptable though mate to continue doing so now. Historically white people used to use the word nigger regularly doesnt mean its just banter now.
Lots of words are used as jocular insults between friends. Nugget, dafty, moron, plonker, knob, arse bandit, tit, etc etc. It is all context dependent.

But many people struggle to contextualise things nowadays

Doesnt make it acceptable though mate to continue doing so now. Historically white people used to use the word nigger regularly doesnt mean its just banter now.

That word used by a whitey always has the same meaning though. It's always a negative slur against black people. The word puff is more often than not used to describe someone being soft and their sexuality isn't even considered

Ive Always said if Cristiano cane out as gay it would do wonders to kill this supposed homophobic perception in football

He's quite clearly gay yet hides it and someone of his stature would be the best thing for other gay lads in the sport as in 2017 I'm certain there's many squads with at least 1 gay lad in them but many are so fearful of being open about it because of the ridicule from the stands which is crazy in this day and age

Quite clearly gay :lol:

It's still a bit off to say he's "quite clearly gay" mind. The lad has never said he's gay, he sleeps with loads of women so it isn't obvious at all. Some people keep acting as if he's holding the gay community back by not coming out, the poor fucker might just not fancy blokes!

Never said he is gay, shags loads of beautiful women and has knocked his current lass up. Clearly gay.

They have the best lives tbf. Most disposable income, their other halves are usually up for owt in the bedroom (let's be honest what couples get up to tends to depend on what the lass agrees to or not) and they don't have to put up with women.

Wish I was gay :(

Last edited:
when they the olympiacos fans are calling people gays do the not mean 'weak' or sissy as opposed to you bot blokes...is it not like when I call somebody a mag it means wanker instead of nufc fan?

They are using gay as a synonym for unmanly, weak, sissy, and so on. That's not ok. It's using "Gay" as a pejorative term, so it could be offensive to homosexuals.

That word used by a whitey always has the same meaning though. It's always a negative slur against black people. The word puff is more often than not used to describe someone being soft and their sexuality isn't even considered
Yes it originally came from powder puff, a makeup applicator. Just means you're a bit soft nothing to do with sexuality. The problem today is being offended on somebody else's behalf and the need to show your level of being offended has become de rigueur. Made worse by the social media generation.

Reactions: UTW
Yes it originally came from powder puff, a makeup applicator. Just means you're a bit soft nothing to do with sexuality. The problem today is being offended on somebody else's behalf and the need to show your level of being offended has become de rigueur. Made worse by the social media generation.

Or simply stop being offensive. Then noone will be offended.

I think that's true for a lot of society, certainly the "EVERYBODY LOOK AT HOW MUCH I CARE" shit on twitter and facebook. But there are subsets of society that have suffered prejudice for decades and still do. Subsets who maybe don't have the political or societal power to enforce change.

I was talking to a 60 odd yr old transvestite in a beer garden just after the Brexit vote. He was devastated, not because of the trade implications, or the immigration issue, but because it was a clear sign to him that Britain's political landscape was lurching back towards what was the norm when he walked on the very first proper London Pride march. With furious men spitting and throwing things at him and middle class old women clutching their beads and showing their revulsion.

He was sure that the rights that he and his friends risked injury for would be rolled back by angry rich straight white men, supported by the misled angry straight white men and women, and it would take brave men and women taking to the streets to protest and risk injury once more to secure/reclaim rights that should be set in stone.

I agree there's too much "look at me", but sometimes it's more powerful a statement when a stranger stands for somebody else's rights and freedoms.

Or you could say you prefer divide and rule so the victims are isolated without support and are easier targets.
Being offended on someone else's behalf shows the changing nature of society and can help to train the offenders about what is acceptable.

Thing is I use the word "puff" to my mates but to me the meaning has changed over the years. For us it means you are a soft shite. However, I am well aware of what it's real meaning is so wouldn't use it in the way where it would/ could cause offence to someone.

Not directly football related but I think 'gays' often bring 'segregation' on themselves.

I thought it was all about equality? Which I have nothing against. However homosexuals now have marches, 'gay pride' events, their own flag etc. That is far from equality.

People just want to be offended these days so that they can kick off about it. The terms 'homophobic and 'racism' are used far too loosely these days and some people who feel victimised is this case bring it on themselves, and thus make serious situations of the same unnoticed.

Not directly football related but I think 'gays' often bring 'segregation' on themselves.

I thought it was all about equality? Which I have nothing against. However homosexuals now have marches, 'gay pride' events, their own flag etc. That is far from equality.

People just want to be offended these days so that they can kick off about it. The terms 'homophobic and 'racism' are used far too loosely these days and some people who feel victimised is this case bring it on themselves, and thus make serious situations of the same unnoticed.

What are you talking about?

Don't you realise that they still need to have marches, gay pride events and so on because they still suffer inequality?

What are you talking about?

Don't you realise that they still need to have marches, gay pride events and so on because they still suffer inequality?

In this country? What rights don't they have that your average straight man has?

Have to agree to disagree.
Got anything to back your stance up with?

Do gay men have as easy a time getting a job than a straight man? Can gay couples get married in a church if they fancy without much problem, just like straight couples can? Can gay couples adopt a child as easily as straight couples? Can transvestites walk down a street without getting abuse just because of what they're wearing?

Thing is I use the word "puff" to my mates but to me the meaning has changed over the years. For us it means you are a soft shite. However, I am well aware of what it's real meaning is so wouldn't use it in the way where it would/ could cause offence to someone.
Would it offend people who are 'soft'?

In this country? What rights don't they have that your average straight man has?

Same sex marriage is still illegal in Northern Ireland, there still isn't a lot of protection for intersex people, and there are still issues with conversion therapy.

Article in the Telegraph covers some bases http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...hts-britain-obscured-empty-virtue-signalling/

But it's more about attitudes than codified rights. To this day my mate suffers abuse because he wears a skirt and does his hair up. He has to wear clothes he doesn't feel comfortable in when we're going out in particular cities. He can't wear what he likes because if he does he'll get abuse on the street, taxis won't pick him up and bouncers will turn him away. It's all right in Newcastle (for the most part), it's ok in Manchester and Liverpool, but smaller, more parochial cities and towns are just a nightmare for him. (DUnno what it'd be like in Sunderland as we've never been out there)

He certainly doesn't feel comfortable dressing like he wants on an away day.

And if slugs like Farage had their way he'd not be allowed to serve in the military, he'd not be allowed to adopt, and he'd not be allowed to marry.

Or you could say you prefer divide and rule so the victims are isolated without support and are easier targets.
Being offended on someone else's behalf shows the changing nature of society and can help to train the offenders about what is acceptable.

Speaking of what is acceptable and unacceptable, tell me how they treat the gays in Abu Dhabi? Is it a rope or a sword?

Same sex marriage is still illegal in Northern Ireland, there still isn't a lot of protection for intersex people, and there are still issues with conversion therapy.

Article in the Telegraph covers some bases http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...hts-britain-obscured-empty-virtue-signalling/

But it's more about attitudes than codified rights. To this day my mate suffers abuse because he wears a skirt and does his hair up. He has to wear clothes he doesn't feel comfortable in when we're going out in particular cities. He can't wear what he likes because if he does he'll get abuse on the street, taxis won't pick him up and bouncers will turn him away. It's all right in Newcastle (for the most part), it's ok in Manchester and Liverpool, but smaller, more parochial cities and towns are just a nightmare for him. (DUnno what it'd be like in Sunderland as we've never been out there)

He certainly doesn't feel comfortable dressing like he wants on an away day.

And if slugs like Farage had their way he'd not be allowed to serve in the military, he'd not be allowed to adopt, and he'd not be allowed to marry.

He'd still be better dressed than the majority of your away support tbf

Got anything to back your stance up with?

Do gay men have as easy a time getting a job than a straight man? Can gay couples get married in a church if they fancy without much problem, just like straight couples can? Can gay couples adopt a child as easily as straight couples? Can transvestites walk down a street without getting abuse just because of what they're wearing?

1. Yep, I've never met a gay person in Scotland who hasn't got a job. There's quite a few I know and know through mates/lasses I've been with etc

2. Yup, in Scotland gay couples can get married.

3. No idea about whether couples can adopt a child as easily as a straight couple - I don't have children myself, and don't even know the procedure for a straight couple to adopt. What is the difference?

4. Probably not, however a transvestite does not necessarily mean gay.

You have proved how easily people get offended though.

The gay pride stuff is way over the top, my opinion won't change on that. Parks get closed to host these sort of events which restricts families/others to use these facilities at weekends etc, which is wrong. If gay people still have to have these events, then it shouldn't close public places to host them. In addition close streets and the likes to restrict vehicles and so on.

It would be the same if it was others doing the same to be fair, but a load of pissed up gay people with paint on their face, acting like twats and pretending to own the place, police letting them do stuff in which you'd get locked up for if straight, does not encourage equality.

It is exactly the same as how racism is going - "is t because I'm gay" same as the "is it because I'm black" card gets played way too often, when it is not even relevant.

If I was to have a disagreement/argument/fight with some pleb who is straight, nothing is said, if the person was gay, they'd play the gay card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back