Homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was run over ffs, the fact we were debating if he had a heart attack before he was run over is absurd.....Lets be honest, only reason it didnt happen straight away and the new coverage was very little was that Muslims were the victim.....Same way that when a bloke wandered into a mosque in Canada and shot half the congregation virtually unreported in the UK, when a muslim couple in America shoot civilians then blanket coverage....The double standards are not even hidden but Im sure welcomed by you.

The thread was about whether we should have a minutes silence for the finsbury park attack. Someone said

"And if he didn't die in a terror attack?"

I.E should we have a minutes silence if the one person who died had died of an unrelated issue, and you said

"Personally would have had a minutes silence for the 10 people he ran over, its about respect"

So you quite clearly said that you'd have a minutes silence for the people who hadn't even died, I think you misunderstand the whole reason of a minutes silence

All here https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threa...bury-park-attack.1373355/page-4#post-25700696 (and before and after that post)

Last edited:

It does exist still but not like it once did. A lot of people don't even realise they are participating. They may not even mean to cause harm, but it certainly exists.

It's like racism. I've been going to games both home and away for 30+ years. I can't remember the last game where I didn't hear a racist comment. Again it's not as bad as it was but it still exists.

It'll be a while til it is eradicated entirely but that's not a football issue.

So did Ricky Martin to be fair it's eery how much Cristianos life resembles his

Would you like to elaborate?

Ronaldo has four children and a string of beautiful girlfriends. Martin, on the other hand had only had one girlfriend, whom he was with on and off for fifteen years, before coming out. He has two children but used a surrogate to produce them.

But aye, frightening how similar that is. :oops:

There is a lot of homophobia on this board to be honest, I know most of it is daft comments intended as humour but it still makes me cringe.

Basically homophobia exists and unfortunately in a heavily masculine, testosterone fuelled, beer swilling environment like a football match people sometimes do make the odd comment. Racism is slowly being rightfully deemed unacceptable whereas 30 years ago it was more common. I think homophobia will be the same over time.

Btw Palace and Brighton fans, why do you hate each other so much? Fucks all that one about.
Goes back to mid to late 70's, I'll let Raba explain in detail.

It's best summed up by a line in an article written on the fiercest rivalries in football.

"For reasons unknown to the rest of the footballing world, the two sets of supporters detest eachother with a passion not seen outside the Balkans"

I rather like the fact nobody else understands it.

Just seen an article published by The Independent that scientifically, massive homophobes are more like to gay (or at least a bit gay) themselves. Can't say I'm shocked at all by that - I've always thought that would be the case.

Saying someone resembles a monkey is not racist, whether they are black or white.

Calling a black person a monkey because you consider them less than human is why it's racist.
Me ma used to call me a little monkey when I was working me ticket as a bairn. I was never offended and I don't recall anyone being offended on my behalf. That was before the days of twit book though. Mind you I was canny hairy.

Me ma used to call me a little monkey when I was working me ticket as a bairn. I was never offended and I don't recall anyone being offended on my behalf. That was before the days of twit book though. Mind you I was canny hairy.

We had a dog called Blackie, imagine walking the streets shouting that now!

Everyone is so sensitive nowadays. Being called a bender, etc was just part of the banter at school.

There is a difference between banter, and actual homophobia. Calling a mate a poof for example is quite common, but you would not say it to an actual gay person as it would then be a homophobic insult.

Just seen an article published by The Independent that scientifically, massive homophobes are more like to gay (or at least a bit gay) themselves. Can't say I'm shocked at all by that - I've always thought that would be the case.
That is often claimed, but I think it is balls. The most vehement homophobes I have met have tended to be evil thugs who enjoy starting fights and the like

Last edited:
Everyone is so sensitive nowadays. Being called a bender, etc was just part of the banter at school.

There is a difference between banter, and actual homophobia. Calling a mate a poof for example is quite common, but you would not say it to an actual gay person as it would then be a homophobic insult.

What you are saying here though is its alright to refer to a mate as being a 'poof' drawing reference to being homosexual as an insult - yet would be offensive if said to somebody that is actually homosexual?

You fail to grasp the fact its offensive full stop. You are calling your mate a 'poof' to belittle him as if being homosexual is somehow lesser? Id just stick to calling him a c unt.

What you are saying here though is its alright to refer to a mate as being a 'poof' drawing reference to being homosexual as an insult - yet would be offensive if said to somebody that is actually homosexual?

You fail to grasp the fact its offensive full stop. You are calling your mate a 'poof' to belittle him as if being homosexual is somehow lesser? Id just stick to calling him a c unt.
Haha - I always though poof was more affectionate than ****!

I've heard comments shouted by individuals in the past but apart from "the gallowgate end" chant I've never heard any other homophobic chant
I admire Gareth Thomas for coming out and being openly gay but I do think he over plays the homophobic card,just like Sol Campbell over plays the racist card.I'm not denying it exists but these days I think the vast,vast majority don't give a shit.
It will be his new profession - professional gay person - so he can get a media profile

Last edited:
Haha - I always though poof was more affectionate than ****!

The nature of it being used as an insult makes it derogatory. Nobody on a night out says ' oi Brian you f***ing genius get the drinks' its purpose is to be insulting. Therefore use of the term is insulting. If people started to use your first name to describe the same conotations as it was directly related to you, you would be right in feeling insulted too whenever it was used.

He was run over ffs, the fact we were debating if he had a heart attack before he was run over is absurd.....Lets be honest, only reason it didnt happen straight away and the new coverage was very little was that Muslims were the victim.....Same way that when a bloke wandered into a mosque in Canada and shot half the congregation virtually unreported in the UK, when a muslim couple in America shoot civilians then blanket coverage....The double standards are not even hidden but Im sure welcomed by you.

Christ you're like a Poundland version of Royal 8er

That's rubbish that we called each other "bent", "puffs" and even "gayboy" at school before anyone even knew what it properly meant

That's rubbish that we called each other "bent", "puffs" and even "gayboy" at school before anyone even knew what it properly meant

Doesnt make it acceptable though mate to continue doing so now. Historically white people used to use the word nigger regularly doesnt mean its just banter now.

The nature of it being used as an insult makes it derogatory. Nobody on a night out says ' oi Brian you f***ing genius get the drinks' its purpose is to be insulting. Therefore use of the term is insulting. If people started to use your first name to describe the same conotations as it was directly related to you, you would be right in feeling insulted too whenever it was used.
Ha - the word genius is often used as an ironic insult.

Most people don't give a fuck in this day and age. As for 90 minutes of gay bashing during a match, then he's talking out of his arse like Sol Campbell talking about racism, and doesn't do his cause any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back