High blood pressure

Stop drinking for 4 weeks and see if that improves your BP

good sleep 7/8 hours a night is meant to be very good for your health and likely BP also
This. Did you see that vid on the Caffeine thread yesterday ? Very informative on the sleep subject.

Edit. Had my BP taken last week and GP said it was perfect. Or words to that effect.

Last edited:

Blood Pressure UK

Also the British heart foundation website has some good information.

Fair enough mate, did you just try the one tablet? Or did they try different ones and different doses?
Yeah tried 2 or 3 different ones and doses as I had a reaction to the first lot.
I think at the minute it's a case of keep an eye on it & if it drastically changes we'll do something.
It's been pretty stable for about 8 years now, in my head I think it'll probably need some action when I hit my 40s

Yeah tried 2 or 3 different ones and doses as I had a reaction to the first lot.
I think at the minute it's a case of keep an eye on it & if it drastically changes we'll do something.
It's been pretty stable for about 8 years now, in my head I think it'll probably need some action when I hit my 40s
For some reason I thought you were older pal! That makes sense like, wait and see is a tactic for things like this. No point meddling just yet if things are stable and you've got it sorted with diet/exercise.

The booze really needs to be cut back in afraid and try upping your water intake, this will help offset high sodium and salt in your food. Check your sleep patterns too, try for a solid 7/8 hours at a regular time.

East loads of salt and shit processed food. Drink massive amounts of coffee and energy drinks. Pack in exercise. Up that alcohol intake and get radged about the least bit thing. It will knack your heart which will then fail and your BP will be in your boots, job done.

Actually don't do any of that it would be mind numbingly stupid but its the same logic as the get covid to protect yourself from covid which still seems incredibly popular.

For some reason I thought you were older pal! That makes sense like, wait and see is a tactic for things like this. No point meddling just yet if things are stable and you've got it sorted with diet/exercise.
Put a but clem on over lockdowns so I'm the gym 5 times a week sorting that as well as walking the dog & not eating rubbish all the time.
I'm more aware of it at the minute especially with all the coverage of people having heart issues/strokes in public etc.
Ideally I won't have to be on daily tablets for life at 35, but if its direct choice between serious health issues or tablets I'm taking the tablets.
I was definitely more relaxed when I was on the tablets mind

I did all of those things, albeit for a dry January, with zero effect. I checked my BP every day. I found that work was the major factor. If someone pissed me off, my BP went through the roof. Things piss me off pretty much every day and I am not someone who seeks it.

Try not checking BP for a week m8. Daily sounds a little bit obsessive and will stress you out. The OP said he was drinking 40-50 units a week but alcohol isn't the only cause of BP. Doctor prescribed me with beta blockers (propanolol?) to help me get over work-related stress. They worked a treat. We're all different.

Anyone got any tips on best way to get it down? Been to the docs and they want to put me on tablets but I want to try and get it down naturally before I do that.
I'm 46 and probably drink about 40 to 50 units of alcohol a week which obviously doesn't help but I do get quite a lot of exercise. My diet isn't too bad. Never add.salt and I'm vegatarian. Thanks for all replies.
Was gonna say more exercise, less salt and better diet but you do most of them anyway.
Drink wise that's only 20 pints which I easily do in a weekend and don't drink through the week.
I'm on tablets but I've got mine down enough to pretty much come off (I rarely exercised until last year)
Do you have a stressful job or life as that can push it up too

Was gonna say more exercise, less salt and better diet but you do most of them anyway.
Drink wise that's only 20 pints which I easily do in a weekend and don't drink through the week.
I'm on tablets but I've got mine down enough to pretty much come off (I rarely exercised until last year)
Do you have a stressful job or life as that can push it up too
No stress whatsoever. In fact I'm probably too far laid back. I'm sure it's the drink doing it. My heart's fookin racing the day after a good session. Mind you. The funny thing is. The higher my heart rate, the better my blood pressure for some reason. Only problem is, is that 2 days after boozing it goes back up again.

No stress whatsoever. In fact I'm probably too far laid back. I'm sure it's the drink doing it. My heart's fookin racing the day after a good session. Mind you. The funny thing is. The higher my heart rate, the better my blood pressure for some reason. Only problem is, is that 2 days after boozing it goes back up again.
I mean it's a bit of drink but I wouldn't say it's excessive.
It's 2 decent days out a week or 3 pints daily.
I know it's over the recommendations but hardly on the lash every day.
How high is it like?

This! I'm on Lisinopril and that brought my blood pressure down immediately with no side effects. a blood test every year
I have a blood test every year to check kidney function and electrolytes in my blood since I was first prescribed Lisiniprol about 10 years ago.

Can I ask a daft question plz? Do you actually buy cartons of beetroot juice or do you just drink the juice that's in the jars?
You buy in cartons. It's not everyone's cup of tea, like.

Pomegranate juice also works but it's a bit pricey. Or hibiscus tea. You can buy tea bags off Amazon.

Won't help the underlying causes of your blood pressure though.

Last edited:
Do you always use a home reading machine (assuming that is what you just used) perhaps try a pharmacy or your surgery, just to check your reading maybe. Those figures seem a bit high.
A bit high ...I'd be over the moon with those readings...when I first went to Docs it was 222 over 165
Sent straight to hospital šŸ˜

Back