High blood pressure

I have friends who are vegetarian and fitter and slimmer than me but are on medication for their blood pressure so I suspect there are other factors at work. I’ve never had high blood pressure even when I was overweight except when I developed a taste for liquorice and mint tea. I thought it was a healthy alternative but apparently liquorice raises your blood pressure! Stopped drinking that and blood pressure returned to normal. I think it’s usually a good idea to listen to your GP who sees umpteen cases of high blood pressure every week and should be able to give you the best advice for your circumstances.

Can I ask a daft question plz? Do you actually buy cartons of beetroot juice or do you just drink the juice that's in the jars?

Think you’ve got all the advice already but just beware of hidden salt in food, it’s in pretty much everything.
Cheese has loads of salt in so I’ve had to restrict that.
Take the tablets though, mine is genetic and it does help.
Can't agree more about the hidden salt/sodium in processed food. It makes a huge difference to BP. I'm also a proper worrier and stress head too, so whenever a BP monitor enters the room my BP can spike to 220/120.
Regular checks and less processed foods/salt would be a great start. Glass of red wine now and again helps me too.👍

Anyone got any tips on best way to get it down? Been to the docs and they want to put me on tablets but I want to try and get it down naturally before I do that.
I'm 46 and probably drink about 40 to 50 units of alcohol a week which obviously doesn't help but I do get quite a lot of exercise. My diet isn't too bad. Never add.salt and I'm vegatarian. Thanks for all replies.
Invest in a pipe and some slippers😜

Lose weight , drop caffeine, moderate exercise regular , don't smoke , drink less alcohol , watch for hidden salt in processed food.
Exercise regularly, I took up cycling and it held of the tablets for a few years until I was 60ish.
If not done yet get them to put you on 24 hour monitor to see what it is over a day. When they did me it took bp every 30 mins or so during day and hourly at night.
Cut out alcohol.

Last edited:
Can I ask a daft question plz? Do you actually buy cartons of beetroot juice or do you just drink the juice that's in the jars?
I’m very lucky my missus makes fresh juice most mornings. I buy the vac packed beetroot and she’ll make a concoction with apple, orange & beetroot with a little chunk of ginger through one of those auger juicers.

Great kick start to the day.

The sciencey bit is that the beetroot has high levels of dietary nitrates which the body then converts to nitric oxide. The nitric oxide relaxes the blood vessels, allowing better blood flow and helping to lower pressure.

Apparently some athletes take it ahead of competing as it gives a quick boost of highly oxygenated blood shortly after taking it.

You can buy beetroot juice shots in the supermarkets or online.

My blood pressure is borderline high.
I was on tablets for about a year in my late 20's but it stayed around the same level so the docs told me not to bother anymore as it was hereditary

My blood pressure is borderline high.
I was on tablets for about a year in my late 20's but it stayed around the same level so the docs told me not to bother anymore as it was hereditary
Go to a different doctor, thats malpractice. If you have a genetic risk to hypertension you should be having regular check ups and you should be on some kind of medication for that.

Anyone got any tips on best way to get it down? Been to the docs and they want to put me on tablets but I want to try and get it down naturally before I do that.
I'm 46 and probably drink about 40 to 50 units of alcohol a week which obviously doesn't help but I do get quite a lot of exercise. My diet isn't too bad. Never add.salt and I'm vegatarian. Thanks for all replies.
Blood Pressure UK

Also the British heart foundation website has some good information.
I got second and third opinions.
I get checked once or twice a year.
Fair enough mate, did you just try the one tablet? Or did they try different ones and different doses?

Last edited:

Back