Gym Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhilSAFC said:
Cheers mate will give that a go. Do I not need any an exercises in there? Or will they sort themselves out with the added dumbbell work? Stabilising and that.

You have crunches and leg raises for ab work but you'll be loading your core muscles when performing things like squats, dead lift, bent over rows, military press if you do them standing, same with Arnold press

TheWanderer said:
Just a quick question on this mate, been going to gym for a few months, nothing too regulare, which is where my problem lies!

I'm 16 clem and 6" 1', using a machine (not calipers) i'm around the 20% body fat, i'm wanting to try lose the fat, but also build muscle, i know i need to reduce calories to lose fat, then increase to build muscle. I want the muscle built before losing the fat as i dont really want to lose my size if you know what i mean.

What bulk/cut cycle would you recomend, is a 3 month bulk, 3 month cut cycle likely to work? I was going to follow the stronglifts 5x5, but may well give your 2 routines a go, i aim to get to the gym 3 times per week.

As supersesh says, once you put on the muscle your bodies metabolism will speed up, burning more calories while resting. I'd be tempted to try a 3 month clean bulk before summer and see how you get on, trial and error a lot of the time to be fair and what works for the individual.

The problem you have atm imo, is your trying to put on muscle while maintaining a lean look. This is a really really realy long process of gaining muscle. You have to get your diet and supllemtn intake down to perfection. I tried this for years got no where and give up on that idea.

Your best bet would be to calm down on the 10k runs as that's just wasting muscle (you dont see muscle on long distant runners) Start lifting heavy and increasing your carbs and protein a hell of a lot. It's feb now if you spent the rest feb,march,april,may building muscle then rip it up n burn the fat off all of june then you'd be cut for summer. You could put on some serious muscle in that space of time if you eat well and train hard.

I done that tactic 3 years ago, now i have the muscle i just maintain the sort of diet your on now so i stay lean all year around but dont really gain much. You have to gain the initial bulk first tho and that can only be done by eating shit loads. Yes the bigger gut for a few months get's you down :-D:lol: but who's gonna see it over the winter anyway??

If you want to try that it out I'll help you plan a diet out

Cheers, yeah that would be ideal. The thing is, I think I'm "fat" enough as it is. I have no idea how to calculate body fat %, but I'm not very lean at the minute, so I don't really want to get much bigger. All I'm really looking for is to be lean and have a fair amount of definition, not too fussed about being massive, but I know I still need to put on a fair amount of muscle either way.

Thing is, I was always a fat kid, so I really hate the idea of putting weight on. I think I'd quite like a routine where I had at least two days a week of doing heavy cardio, something like a long distance run, especially since I've signed up for the great north run. But at the minute, I just get to the gym and do whatever muscle group I fancy on that day.

I've tried loads of protien drinks, supplements etc. I found the most effective to be a cocktail of dianabol, naps and injected growth hormone

RAAAAAAAGHHHHH!

Cheers, yeah that would be ideal. The thing is, I think I'm "fat" enough as it is. I have no idea how to calculate body fat %, but I'm not very lean at the minute, so I don't really want to get much bigger. All I'm really looking for is to be lean and have a fair amount of definition, not too fussed about being massive, but I know I still need to put on a fair amount of muscle either way.

Thing is, I was always a fat kid, so I really hate the idea of putting weight on. I think I'd quite like a routine where I had at least two days a week of doing heavy cardio, something like a long distance run, especially since I've signed up for the great north run. But at the minute, I just get to the gym and do whatever muscle group I fancy on that day.

That steady state cardio isn't going to do your muscle development any good from what I understand.

this, try HIIT or tabata.

I have done in the past, but in my head I always feel like if I'm not running say 10k and burning 800 calories, then the 200/250 I burn in 15 minutes doing HIIT is less calories burned and therefore not as good for me.

I'm in a bit of a rush today though, so I think I'm going to do a big ab workout and then some HIIT on both the treadmill and the rower.

I have done in the past, but in my head I always feel like if I'm not running say 10k and burning 800 calories, then the 200/250 I burn in 15 minutes doing HIIT is less calories burned and therefore not as good for me.

I'm in a bit of a rush today though, so I think I'm going to do a big ab workout and then some HIIT on both the treadmill and the rower.
treadmill is no good for HIIT, its turn of pace isn't quick enough. I just stick to the rower for 20 min. I'd do the ab work after HIIT also, you want to be able to put 100% into it.

You may burn more calories doing a steady run but your body will metabolise its muscle to fuel the run so its counter productive to building muscle. Also HIIT will raise your metabolism for longer, burning more calories when resting later tonight. What do you want to look like, a 100m sprinter or a marathon runner?

Aye, very true about the 100m sprinter thing. I suppose I got into a way of thinking that I play a lot of football, so I want to be able to run for X amount of time, which is a silly way of thinking to be honest.

I'm off to the gym now, so I'll give the rower a go. Would you consider that enough cardio to be doing in one day? There were days when I was at my leanest where I'd run 10 miles and play football twice in the same day.

Aye, very true about the 100m sprinter thing. I suppose I got into a way of thinking that I play a lot of football, so I want to be able to run for X amount of time, which is a silly way of thinking to be honest.

I'm off to the gym now, so I'll give the rower a go. Would you consider that enough cardio to be doing in one day? There were days when I was at my leanest where I'd run 10 miles and play football twice in the same day.
20 min of HIIT on a rower if you're giving it 100% is plenty IMO, i do:

3 min steady
1min 100%
2 min steady
1 min 100&
and so on for 20 min and i fall off the rower.

aerobic and anaerobic fitness is important for football, HIIT will improve your anaerobic fitness.

The amount of steady state cardio you've done it the past will strip you of muscle and you won't see the results i think you're expecting.

Last edited:
20 min of HIIT on a rower if you're giving it 100% is plenty IMO, i do:

3 min steady
1min 100%
2 min steady
1 min 100&
and so on for 20 min and i fall off the rower.

aerobic and anaerobic fitness is important for football, HIIT will improve your anaerobic fitness

Right, cheers for your help mate, it's much appreciated! Was considering doing the 500m at as much as I could give, then 1 minute rest program, but I'll give it a go your way instead.

I'll report back around 2/2.30 with how I found it!

Right, cheers for your help mate, it's much appreciated! Was considering doing the 500m at as much as I could give, then 1 minute rest program, but I'll give it a go your way instead.

And if you don't report back we nar you have kielled owa or had a heart attack ;)

yer you can do a few 500m sprints but they're are extremely hard.

see if you can beat 1.26 ;)

oROSSo said:
aye i'm canny proud of it as Monkeytassle or Rotworst will tell you cause i always mention it! Being 6'6" comes in handy for rowing

I'm 5'9 and haven't done anything on the tower for a while. Could be interesting.

I go to the gym on my dinner hour at work so I generally go for half an hour per day Monday til Friday.

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back, abbs
Wedbesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders, abbs
Friday - Arms.

I only have one protein shake after my workout which is true whey of myprotein.com

I'm thinking about jacking my dinner times in and going after work 3 times a week:

Monday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
Friday - Bi's/Tri's

Any advice anyone?

Do any lasses go there? Might join

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back