Gym Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

A spot on diet is the best supplement you can get imo. I'm not particularly one for supplements although I use MyProtein and have a shake a day. Don't have anything like protein flapjacks, bars etc.

Don't think I'll ever use Jack3D or anything like that after reading some articles about it, although some of my mates have used it.

Suppose its all about your training goals. Lean/Bulk etc.

theres 4 stages of tea

white
green
oolong
black

the amount of anti oxidants varies, white having the most, black having the least. I'd imagine its pretty minimal though

I imagine if you are drinking a few cups a day you will be getting enough.

I know you take your nutrition very seriously but the average Joe can buy what he needs from the corner shop. IMO.

A decent diet with good ingredients will get more than enough for what 99.9% of people need.

Does coffee with 3 sugars and a git dollop of cream count ?

I'm not sure mate. It will give you a caffeine kick and some calories, so it should be fine for training. Combined with a tab, it sounds ideal.

I imagine if you are drinking a few cups a day you will be getting enough.

I know you take your nutrition very seriously but the average Joe can buy what he needs from the corner shop. IMO.

A decent diet with good ingredients will get more than enough for what 99.9% of people need.

agreed for maintaining weight. The only capsules i take are a mutli-vitamin and omega 3 tablets and i probably wouldn't even take these if i wasn't cutting calories, but due to restricting calories and being a big lad who pretty much does something everyday I'm probably not getting all of the nutrients I need from my food sources

agreed for maintaining weight. The only capsules i take are a mutli-vitamin and omega 3 tablets and i probably wouldn't even take these if i wasn't cutting calories, but due to restricting calories and being a big lad who pretty much does something everyday I'm probably not getting all of the nutrients I need from my food sources

it's the lads who eat shite who probably need the supplements:lol:

Just cadge one off one of the personal trainers. they all smoke, it's a trade secret mate. they don't want to let on. just wink when ask for one marra.

Jobs a good un, at the gym this afters, little minx works their looks a smoker (no ), will try their first . Thanks. Love tyhe SMB for its sage like advice on life. Always come here first me

What's your routine like Ross? Currently im only lifting twice a week so I'm sticking to full body workouts, I know splits are better but will there be any benefit if I'm only going twice a week?

What's your routine like Ross? Currently im only lifting twice a week so I'm sticking to full body workouts, I know splits are better but will there be any benefit if I'm only going twice a week?
I wouldn't say splits are better to be honest Phil, its what suits the individual.

at the moment i train muay thai twice a week for a couple hours a time.
I do one full body a week for strength
rest of the time i'll do interval training on the rower or as the weather is getting better i'll get out and do some hill sprints. I need to start getting out for some longer jogs for aerobic fitness for fighting but i absolutely hate them!

2 full bodies a week is fine IMO as long as you're pushing yourself and have a good diet. Your body needs time inbetween weight sessions to recover anyway and this is the time that your muscles actually grow.

whats your full body routine and i'll see if i can help if it needs it?

oROSSo said:
I wouldn't say splits are better to be honest Phil, its what suits the individual.

at the moment i train muay thai twice a week for a couple hours a time.
I do one full body a week for strength
rest of the time i'll do interval training on the rower or as the weather is getting better i'll get out and do some hill sprints. I need to start getting out for some longer jogs for aerobic fitness for fighting but i absolutely hate them!

2 full bodies a week is fine IMO as long as you're pushing yourself and have a good diet. Your body needs time inbetween weight sessions to recover anyway and this is the time that your muscles actually grow.

I don't know what a lot of the machines are called but I tend to hit all the chest machines. Do some dumbbell exercises for my arms, dips, pull ups, then onto the barbell for my chest again. Mix in randomly some rows, lat pull downs, shoulder press, couple of leg machines and then a few sit ups to finish.

Tend to do a lot on my arms and chest with the dumbbells And barbell.
Probably neglect my back and legs more than I should.

My diet is fairly decent. 3 square meals a day. Cutting out all the snacks, crisps etc.

Not taking whey like I used to as our lass thinks its drugs :lol: am I missing out? Tend to try and get as much protein as I can into my meals.

I don't know what a lot of the machines are called but I tend to hit all the chest machines. Do some dumbbell exercises for my arms, dips, pull ups, then onto the barbell for my chest again. Mix in randomly some rows, lat pull downs, shoulder press, couple of leg machines and then a few sit ups to finish.

Tend to do a lot on my arms and chest with the dumbbells And barbell.
Probably neglect my back and legs more than I should.

My diet is fairly decent. 3 square meals a day. Cutting out all the snacks, crisps etc.

Not taking whey like I used to as our lass thinks its drugs :lol: am I missing out? Tend to try and get as much protein as I can into my meals.

in all honesty mate, i'd scrap pretty much all of that. You need to use free weights where possible as they work your muscles harder due to the smaller stabilising muscles working. Secondly, your legs are the most important area to work on as they're the biggest muscles in your body, then arguably its your back muscles so you're missing out huge amounts of potential.

try something like:

workout 1
Squat
pull ups (assisted if needs be)
incline bench press
military press
bicep curls
tricep dips
calf raises
crunches

workout 2
deadlift
bench press
bent over rows
arnold press
bicep curls
tricep pulldowns
calf raises
leg raises

if you can get to the gym twice a week just alternate these two workouts.

It wouldn't hurt adding whey into your diet but as long as you're getting 1.5g for ever kg of body weight into your diet I wouldn't worry about it just yet but it is a cheap alternative to other whole food protein forms.

post your typical daily diet up if you want help with that

I go to the gym on my dinner hour at work so I generally go for half an hour per day Monday til Friday.

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back, abbs
Wedbesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders, abbs
Friday - Arms.

I only have one protein shake after my workout which is true whey of myprotein.com

I'm thinking about jacking my dinner times in and going after work 3 times a week:

Monday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
Friday - Bi's/Tri's

Any advice anyone?

I go to the gym on my dinner hour at work so I generally go for half an hour per day Monday til Friday.

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back, abbs
Wedbesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders, abbs
Friday - Arms.

I only have one protein shake after my workout which is true whey of myprotein.com

I'm thinking about jacking my dinner times in and going after work 3 times a week:

Monday - Chest/Back
Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
Friday - Bi's/Tri's

Any advice anyone?
try

monday- legs/shoulders
wednesday- chest/tri's
friday back/bi's

doing chest and back on the same day is working two pretty large muscle groups, where as tri and bi's on the same day are small, it would be too unbalanced

you could hoy in some ab work each training day

Last edited:
The problem you have atm imo, is your trying to put on muscle while maintaining a lean look. This is a really really realy long process of gaining muscle. You have to get your diet and supllemtn intake down to perfection. I tried this for years got no where and give up on that idea.

Your best bet would be to calm down on the 10k runs as that's just wasting muscle (you dont see muscle on long distant runners) Start lifting heavy and increasing your carbs and protein a hell of a lot. It's feb now if you spent the rest feb,march,april,may building muscle then rip it up n burn the fat off all of june then you'd be cut for summer. You could put on some serious muscle in that space of time if you eat well and train hard.

I done that tactic 3 years ago, now i have the muscle i just maintain the sort of diet your on now so i stay lean all year around but dont really gain much. You have to gain the initial bulk first tho and that can only be done by eating shit loads. Yes the bigger gut for a few months get's you down :-D:lol: but who's gonna see it over the winter anyway??

If you want to try that it out I'll help you plan a diet out

oROSSo said:
in all honesty mate, i'd scrap pretty much all of that. You need to use free weights where possible as they work your muscles harder due to the smaller stabilising muscles working. Secondly, your legs are the most important area to work on as they're the biggest muscles in your body, then arguably its your back muscles so you're missing out huge amounts of potential.

try something like:

workout 1
Squat
incline bench press
military press
bicep curls
tricep dips
calf raises
crunches

workout 2
deadlift
bench press
bent over rows
arnold press
bicep curls
tricep pulldowns
calf raises
leg raises

It wouldn't hurt adding whey into your diet but as long as you're getting 1.5g for ever kg of body weight into your diet I wouldn't worry about it just yet but it is a cheap alternative to other whole food protein forms.

Cheers mate will give that a go. Do I not need any an exercises in there? Or will they sort themselves out with the added dumbbell work? Stabilising and that.

try something like:

workout 1
Squat
incline bench press
military press
bicep curls
tricep dips
calf raises
crunches

workout 2
deadlift
bench press
bent over rows
arnold press
bicep curls
tricep pulldowns
calf raises
leg raises

Just a quick question on this mate, been going to gym for a few months, nothing too regulare, which is where my problem lies!

I'm 16 clem and 6" 1', using a machine (not calipers) i'm around the 20% body fat, i'm wanting to try lose the fat, but also build muscle, i know i need to reduce calories to lose fat, then increase to build muscle. I want the muscle built before losing the fat as i dont really want to lose my size if you know what i mean.

What bulk/cut cycle would you recomend, is a 3 month bulk, 3 month cut cycle likely to work? I was going to follow the stronglifts 5x5, but may well give your 2 routines a go, i aim to get to the gym 3 times per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back