Great North Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather forecast is now saying the wind is meant to be '13 South South Westerly'

Anyone explain whether this is good or bad? :oops:
Pretty good. It'll only be in your face a bit at the start, which is downhill. Bulk of the race (and handily at the finish) it'll be behind you

The missus (no) spent last night getting blood tests to rule out DVT. Her leg (lower calf) was swollen and bruised. Thankfully the outcome was that it's muscle tear. The doctor was totally non-committal about whether she should run it or not, just kept saying it was up to her. The swelling has gone and she says she can feel no discomfort now. Anyone any experience of this? She's a stubborn bugger but I don't want her making it any worse

1st timer, Running for Children with Cancer, starting in Orange zone C, nerves setting in a bit.
This is my 19th and I still get that mate. Terrible before the start. Try not to let it make you start too fast! I've took off like a bar out of he'll at times and my times have been so erratic over the course. Best of luck. I'm orange D.

The missus (no) spent last night getting blood tests to rule out DVT. Her leg (lower calf) was swollen and bruised. Thankfully the outcome was that it's muscle tear. The doctor was totally non-committal about whether she should run it or not, just kept saying it was up to her. The swelling has gone and she says she can feel no discomfort now. Anyone any experience of this? She's a stubborn bugger but I don't want her making it any worse
I don't think I would but if she does, try Voltarol, anti inflammatory.

Last edited:
What time should I arrive at Park Lane metro to get to Haymarket? I haven't a clue!

15 minute walk from Haymarket apparently and obviously you'll need to queue. The faster you plan on doing it the earlier i'd get there I suppose?
I'm a first timer aswell so I have no idea really but i'll be getting on at Stadium of Light at about 9.

15 minute walk from Haymarket apparently and obviously you'll need to queue. The faster you plan on doing it the earlier i'd get there I suppose?
I'm a first timer aswell so I have no idea really but i'll be getting on at Stadium of Light at about 9.
I'm going early because the Metros have been dodgy this week and I want to have a contingency plan. Also meeting my friend whose train gets in at 8.30.
Suspect that I'll be standing around for ages but I'd rather be there than stressing about getting there on time.

I always get the metro from Shields at 8. End up there really early but I know of others who have left at 8:30 and are rushing to make it to the start on time

I would get a metro at 8. Early station as possible to get a seat. Looking at an hour on the metro from Sunderland
A seat;) I get the metro from East Boldon between 0830 and 9. It's like the last train from Calcutta.

Little bit last minute but if anyone is worried about getting through, I can offer a lift to Newcastle from the Washy area. Brother in law lives about 20 mins from start line and I'm parking at his...

2 hours 1 minute, just missed! Gave it my all tho, and raised over £700 for MNDA, a great and very emotional day.

Everyone ok!? Finished in 2:28, nowhere near a PB but I'm happy with that as I definitely gave it everything. Might get out of South Shields this time next week.

That's where us Sandies score, I finished, went to the charity village, went for a burger, went home for a shower and change then back out to see the wife finish!

2 hours 1 minute, just missed! Gave it my all tho, and raised over £700 for MNDA, a great and very emotional day.

That's where us Sandies score, I finished, went to the charity village, went for a burger, went home for a shower and change then back out to see the wife finish!
My wife did the same time. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back