Getting promoted over more senior peers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. The best people let those below them do this and then we just steam in.

In fairness to the lad, we have a bit of background and he's just explaining the whole situation - first question we'd ask, if he hadn't said it already, would be 'what does your boss think of you?'

What's a HOM?

Other than the obvious?

:lol:

That should say, HMO.

I'm not against gay people spending their money mate. Let them spend.

They have more than the rest of us - according to a former employer of mine.

I used to work in 'entertainment' and this was very much the opinion of the senior management team at the time - who were actually all gay.

I put it fully down to my commitment and drive. The competition isn’t that tough when it was 3 other blokes that are comfortable set in their ways. I’m not knocking them, they are good at their job, but that’s all they’ll ever be... good

What industry and position are you going for?
When you mentioned the VP I am assuming it’s s US owned Company?

By the way you should apply and I would expect anyone internally that didn’t get the job to have the necessary feedback.

My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.
See, this is the bit that most intrigues me. Can you say more? Why is that your biggest worry? How would you handle it? In what way would your handling of it be 'coming in all guns blazing'?

If you get promoted ahead of them then you can keep think of new ideas while they do the basics of their job. If they can't do that then you get shot of them.

I put it fully down to my commitment and drive. The competition isn’t that tough when it was 3 other blokes that are comfortable set in their ways. I’m not knocking them, they are good at their job, but that’s all they’ll ever be... good
TBF, very few companies really want that change and when he rest of the workers rise up you’ll likely be the one who’ll be going the journey.

Weird comment.

I think I'm doing alright tbh. You have no idea whether I'm on 15k or 30k.

What have I got to be bitter about?
It was more a comment based on Kev’s response to you and not aimed at you.

Stop being so touchy about everything.

Last edited:
No reason why the people working there the longest should get the promotion. You have to ask yourself if they have been there over 20 years why are they not promoted already? Go for it. I did and I’m not the boss to my peers. One person who went for the job had something else lined up as a backup plan. Off he went, problem sorted.

Show a bit of pragmatism at interview though. Say things like there are changes you want to make straight away but need to be cautious about doing it all on day one. You need a little time to settle into the role and make sure you still see the changes the same from the new perspective but soften the others to change with subtle suggestions, perhaps asking their opinion and making them seem informed or that they have input. Perhaps set yourself a target of 3 months or say something like “I’m eager to make the changes now, but I have to ask myself is there harm waiting 3 months or do they stand a greater chance for success?”

Unless the place needs a major shake up or the bosses think it does it will show a level of maturity and thought for the staff. If it is the sort of places where bosses are expected to set themselves up above the staff and crack the whip then that might sound too weak.

I’ve applied for a promotion at my place and so have the other 3 peers.
They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.
Had it at my place, job went up on the board and I didn’t apply in the first round, they couldn’t fill the role and it went back on the board so went in for it and got the job. 1 lad who’d been on the team few years longer than me tried to make life difficult/show me up at any opportunity. Another lad who’d just joined the team and had no previous experience has been horrific from day 1, doesn’t like the fact I’m 20 odd years younger than him.

What are your thoughts about what a good management/leadership style is (serious question)?
Someone who trusts their employees and doesn’t need to micro manage. Someone that’s approachable (and available) and wants to help the employees grow.
Im also fair when I hold people accountable, even my hardest workers get called in if they fuck up. I don’t just wave it off thinking because he’s a “good guy” I’ll let him off. This obviously pisses some people off and could effect production for a short time but I’d rather have integrity knowing I’m doing my job correctly.
I also push positive feedback. Even if it might seem like something simple I sell it on the bigger picture like setting a good example, not getting complacent and taking their job seriously

TBF, very few companies really want that change and when he rest of the workers rise up you’ll likely be the one who’ll be going the journey.

It was more a comment based on Kev’s response to you and not aimed at you.

Stop being so touchy about everything.
I normally agree with the first point. My company is moving in a different direction. They’ve suffered the last few years with a terrible safety record and the CEO is pushing this as the number 1 priority. Coming from the UK with NEBOSH it was perfect timing for me.
The stuff I’m introducing falls perfectly in line with what they hope to achieve and that’s why I’m getting a lot more recognition than expected.

Last edited:
Got to be a wind up. No-one is actually this much of a test without trying to be

If the person who has applied for the job hasn’t had a promotion in 20 year I think he’s the problem, not you- if that is the case.

If it's what you want, go for it. Fuck the rest of them, and deal with whatever the outcome is. There are very few "nice guys" at the top, they've usually stepped on some faces and licked arses to get there, but if you're not worried about not making too many friends go for it.

I’ve applied for a promotion at my place and so have the other 3 peers.
They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.
i had a time when i trained up a new team, knew the role inside out and was the go to person on the account for any queries or problems.

they wanted an assistant manager which i applied for and ended up giving it to the lad i trained up who didnt have a clue. turned out while i was working around the country training and assisting the account, this cheaky git was going to spinning classes with the manager so they were best mates so got it that way.

safe to say that was the final nail in the coffin and i left the company for a different job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back