Getting promoted over more senior peers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one with 20 years is nearly 50. The others are younger than him but all older than me (36)

Not yet. It’s just them thinking they’re entitled for now. It’ll get worse once I get the job :lol:

:lol::lol: Hard work and good time management gets you a long way

I don’t have enough info to comment with any level of confidence.

If you are in contention over more experienced hands, then the management are something attractive in your approach. It’s possible the other candidates would simply replicate the existing ways, which isn’t always preferable for longer term growth.

But I’m surmising at best.

:lol: It more that since I’ve come in I’ve introduced some new things. What seem like basic stuff to me. Like we never had a start of day safety briefing or never had a competency register for when people got qualified or a training file etc. These are simple things I introduced.
I also sign up for most events the company do in the local areas
The top bosses love it.
You sound like a right brown nose to be honest. It doesn't seem surprising you're unpopular.

I’ve applied for a promotion at my place and so have the other 3 peers.
They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.
Take nowt for granted but TBH if you get it they may leave. Result.

The one with 20 years is nearly 50. The others are younger than him but all older than me (36)

Not yet. It’s just them thinking they’re entitled for now. It’ll get worse once I get the job :lol:

:lol::lol: Hard work and good time management gets you a long way
:lol::lol: You’re next thread title.

‘When someone else gets the job instead of you and sacks you!!’:p

:lol::lol: I’m not unpopular, the bosses love me

Good luck to you and everything mate, but I don't think I'm the only person reading this who thinks you come across as a smarmy braggart, telling us all how you've got all these revolutionary ideas and the bosses think you're amazing.

I hope you get the job and that but you might want to consider how you come across.

In all seriousness if you feel you're in with a shout, go for it. But also try not to be a twat. Combining being successful with not being a twat can be a difficult trick to pull off. If you can do it, you'll go far.

Janiep, Executive Coach x

Good luck to you and everything mate, but I don't think I'm the only person reading this who thinks you come across as a smarmy braggart, telling us all how you've got all these revolutionary ideas and the bosses think you're amazing.

I hope you get the job and that but you might want to consider how you come across.

I don’t think he’s doing that. If you read all posts, he’s saying he is surprised that what he considers to be standard fare is new to his colleagues. You also need to take into account he’s ex forces working in Canada.

If you're good enough, you're good enough.
Saw a similar thing happen in a team in India. Newish lad with not much networking experience got the team lead job over blokes with many years seniority.
The daft shites actually wrote an open letter to the management complaining that they didn't just appoint the longest served.
They binned off the ringleaders and backed the lad, though fuck knows how he felt found into work after they'd all signed a letter against his promotion.

I don’t think he’s doing that. If you read all posts, he’s saying he is surprised that what he considers to be standard fare is new to his colleagues. You also need to take into account he’s ex forces working in Canada.

"I’m not unpopular, the bosses love me"

"The top bosses love it."

"I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place"

He's must be the best employee to have ever walked in through the doors of his employers.

As I say, I hope the lad gets the job. I just think he should tone down on the above if that's what he's like in person. If someone was telling me at work how much their boss loves them and their ideas and how they have a 'vision' for the place I'd probably strangle them with the keyboard cable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back