2. Think outside the box - think creatively
  3. Touch base offline - lets meet and talk
  4. Close of play - end of the day
  5. Going forward - look ahead
  6. No brainer - so obvious
  7. Action that - put into practice
  8. Drill down - investigate thoroughly
  9. Thought shower - brainstorm

1. Start using them now and keep these other fellas in place !!

I’ve applied for a promotion at my place and so have the other 3 peers.
They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.

you mentioned another 3 people, here are 3 phrases to memorise which will get your through your current predicament

"shy bairns get nowt"
"not my f***ing problem"

and now you've got the job, "just f***ing do it"

and if it all goes tits up "shove your job up your arse sideways"

Last edited:
Last edited:
If any of them are Geordies, then the know-it-all complex is ingrained; guaranteed to be an arse if you took the job. In Sunderland however, we have notices in workplaces warning the staff about shit work practices that are not for changing ;)

Back