Getting promoted over more senior peers

I’ve applied for a promotion at my place and so have the other 3 peers.
They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.

I hope you get it, although you sound like a bit of an arse licker. ;)

Don't worry about upsetting anyone or whose toes you tread on, none of the people you upset give two fucks about you and want you to fail. You owe them nothing so if you get the job come down hard on anyone straight the way who tries to undermine you. They're testing your boundaries.

Logon or register to see this image

Don't worry about upsetting anyone or whose toes you tread on, none of the people you upset give two fucks about you and want you to fail. You owe them nothing so if you get the job come down hard on anyone straight the way who tries to undermine you. They're testing your boundaries.

Logon or register to see this image

Once he's got he's stripes he'll probably become a right wanker, like the majority of those type of people.

They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.
Eeeeeee ya git good yay lad.

I think ‘vision’ in this case is a finger up the bosses hoop when you’re noshing him off isn’t it? Something a little different from the others.

Go for it, you owe them nowt do you?

Maybe the bloke who ‘knows the job inside out’ will get it. And proceed to give you shit.

He owes you nowt, after all.

I’m one of the two most senior, qualified and experienced (both over 25 years) people in the company, yet we’re both being managed by people much younger who’ve only been in the job a couple of years and have no qualifications. The reason is that we’re both content to do our 40 hours and go home, whereas they’ve made no secret of their desire to climb the ladder, do as much overtime and kiss as much arse as required to get there. Good luck to them. I’d rather have a home and social life than earn an extra 20 grand with all the associated hassle.

Back