Getting promoted over more senior peers

safcforever

Striker
I’ve applied for a promotion at my place and so have the other 3 peers.
They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.

They’ve been at the company for years (one has been there almost 20 years) I’ve been there 10 months.

The other 3 are telling me I’m a dick for thinking I can just walk straight into it. One of them is actually offended he wasn’t just offered the job because “he knows the job inside out”

The problem is I genuinely think I’m gonna get it. In the past I’ve spoke to the director and the VP about some changes I want to make and they both like my vision for the place. They don’t seem to want someone who has the “that’s how we’ve always done it” attitude that the others have.

Has anyone been in this predicament? My biggest worry is they will be a pain in the arse and try and make it difficult. Not that I can’t handle it, but I don’t want one of my first big decisions to seem like I’m coming in all guns blazing.
I would have waited until I was offered the job before starting the thread.

Jack Ross?

TBF, it doesn’t sound like you’re cut out for the role if you need to ask how to overcome negative attitudes in the team. Zero vision...
Maybe you’re right. I’m taking my hat out the ring.

I wasn’t that bothered about getting it until they started getting arsey about it. So now I’m determined to piss them off

So you're going from teaboy to???

In all serious just go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained
Senior teaboy

Last edited:

You're doing nothing wrong, perfectly entitled to apply for it. If their experience and knowledge of the place built up over years is so important then they'll get the promotion over you. Doesn't matter whether they think it's important, the only opinion that matters is that of the person making the decision, if they value other things that you offer over their experience then so be it. Apply for it and let them decide, it's your life, your career and both are too short to worry about jealousy from people entrenched who have had years upon years to earn the promotion and obviously haven't.

I haven't directly experienced it, but my old employer did do redundancies and I went up against someone who had been in the role a lot longer, knowing that only one of us would be kept. He said I should just walk away because I was young and would find something else. He wasn't exactly offering to compensate me if I didn't, so I thought fuck him and they kept me on (probably because I was cheaper but still)

How old are the people with 20 years experience?

In my previous job, I eventually became manager of the bloke who managed me when I first started. He was sound on the whole but could be an arse when given the opportunity.

From what you’ve posted there doesn’t seem to be a predicament, you’re entitled to apply for the job and if you get it the others will have to deal with it, it’s the bosses decision to make not any of yours.

I wouldn’t mention your “vision for the place” in the interview mind you, if someone said that kinda stuff in an interview with me I’d sack them for being a bellend rather than promote them.

How old are the people with 20 years experience?
The one with 20 years is nearly 50. The others are younger than him but all older than me (36)

Op is having some bother at work ere like.
Not yet. It’s just them thinking they’re entitled for now. It’ll get worse once I get the job :lol:

Make sure you keep the bosses hoop nice and clean. Sounds like you've already been doing that though.
:lol::lol: Hard work and good time management gets you a long way

Last edited:

Don't take prisoners. Not at this level.

SEB. Don't care.

From what you’ve posted there doesn’t seem to be a predicament, you’re entitled to apply for the job and if you get it the others will have to deal with it, it’s the bosses decision to make not any of yours.

I wouldn’t mention your “vision for the place” in the interview mind you, if someone said that kinda stuff in an interview with me I’d sack them for being a bellend rather than promote them.
:lol: It more that since I’ve come in I’ve introduced some new things. What seem like basic stuff to me. Like we never had a start of day safety briefing or never had a competency register for when people got qualified or a training file etc. These are simple things I introduced.
I also sign up for most events the company do in the local areas
The top bosses love it.

Back