Getting old

Can completely understand how that feels. You are doing amazing.. just keep going and do the things that you can control rather than worry about the things you can't, i'm sure you'll be around for decades yet :)
Thank you ☺️ I wish I could stop worrying but it's easier said than done where your kids are concerned. Fingers crossed I can stay healthy enough to look after her for a long time yet xx
I'm sure we've said this before, but I hope you're getting the support you need so you can have a break too

I have just got her a social worker who is organising respite, a PA and a day centre for when she leaves college next year. She'll only get one night a month in respite for now and 6 hours a week PA (not sure how many days she'll get in a day centre yet) but any help is better than nothing. It'll give me a little bit time to spend with my son at least xx

Last edited:

Thank you ☺️ I wish I could stop worrying but it's easier said than done where your kids are concerned. Fingers crossed I can stay healthy enough to look after her for a long time yet xx

I have just got her a social worker who is organising respite, a PA and a day centre for when she leaves college next year. She'll only get one night a month in respite for now and 6 hours a week PA (not sure how many days she'll get in a day centre yet) but any help is better than nothing. It'll give me a little bit time to spend with my son at least xx

Grand. I hope help is available when needed. There'll no doubt be more things for him as he gets older too which will be nice for him. And you too I suspect

It terrifies me. I find the idea of stopping doing anything cos you’re too old really strange. I’m still pretty much doing everything I did when I was 18 at 50.
Stopped playing football at 53. Realisation hit me when a kid broke his leg in a 5 a side game I was playing in. I realised if that had happened to me I wouldn't be able to work and no work means no money. Weird thing is I now work from home doing the same job which at the time was never an option. Thank you Covid 19.

Stopped playing football at 53. Realisation hit me when a kid broke his leg in a 5 a side game I was playing in. I realised if that had happened to me I wouldn't be able to work and no work means no money. Weird thing is I now work from home doing the same job which at the time was never an option. Thank you Covid 19.
We get full sick pay unless you get injured doing an extreme sport. I’d like to know who decides what is extreme.

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.
At times I do, but each day is a gift and overall I love life and want to live until at least 96, another 38 years, 46 is nought, just into middle age.

At times I do, but each day is a gift and overall I love life and want to live until at least 96, another 38 years, 46 is nought, just into middle age.
I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but you might not think that way in say 10 or 15 years time.

Plenty of people live out their later years in pain or even just discomfort.

I'm finding that i'm accumulating ailments that don't clear up. Still hoping for another 10-12 years though.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but you might not think that way in say 10 or 15 years time.

Plenty of people live out their later years in pain or even just discomfort.

I'm finding that i'm accumulating ailments that don't clear up. Still hoping for another 10-12 years though.
Yes there seems to be a certain "tiredness " that people can get as they get older and less well. Juice isnt worth the squeeze anymore .

I am 50 and getting old and especially dying terrifies me. I have a 22 year old daughter who is severely disabled and an almost 14 year old son with autism. The thoughts of not being able to care for them, especially my daughter who needs me to do every tiny little thing for her gives me panic attacks. They have no one but me to look after them. Their Dad hasn't been in touch since before the pandemic, their older sister no longer lives at home and works full time, my Dad is a carer for my Mam who can no longer walk. Getting too old to care for her and having to put her into a care home makes me feel completely ill.
I have done what I can to (hopefully) prolong my life - lost a lot of weight, walk every day Megs at college, eat healthily, have never smoked and haven't touched alcohol in 3 years. I'm lot healthier than I have been for ages but nothing can stop me getting older. The thing that gives me the most huge anxiety is thinking about after I die and Megan shouting for me and I won't be there, she doesn't understand what death is and she will think I have abandoned her 😭, it's absolutely horrendous as nothing can stop the inevitable. I hate how fast time goes.
Have you thought about going to see your GP to discuss your worry issues. Health Anxiety is a recognised type of anxiety as is Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks and other types of anxiety. Worrying and having constant intrusive thoughts is much more common than you would imagine and you really shouldn't feel anxious about raising that with a health professional from nurses to doctors, whoever you feel most comfortable seeing. Typically, talking therapy such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) can greatly help you deal with your constant worries and things going over and over in your head until it affects every part of your life.

I think @stan the man mentioned some stretching exercises which have benefited him on another thread, anything similar on youtube @stan the man ?
I can only remember (in relation to stretching) that I worked out between myself and my physio, the problem I had with plantar facsciitis was to stretch my whole leg by putting my heal up onto a table and stretch my whole back leg and foot (facia), the whole leg and foot are (obviously) connected.
I'm 70 next year and for the past 10 years I've been cycling to the gym every day, watching my diet etc. The gym and exercise far outweighs diet (in my opinion).

I'm a pretty optimistic person but very much a realist, I know that I'll be dead soon(ish) .... IF I live to 100 I only have about 11000 days left on this mortal coil, but I also realise that me living to 100 is highly unlikely (family history etc).... so the clock is very much ticking 🙄

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.
Just make the most of your life and be nice to people and animals.

I made a bucket list a while back and I've ticked off 75% already. I am constantly adding stuff mind.

I've got more books than I will ever have lifetime to read so I need to prioritise the reading list. That sharpens the outlook on life I think and provides an incentive to read.

I have a whole load of things I could fill the time taken by work-to-pay-the-mortgage. If I ever won the lottery I'd never get bored.

Live life to the full and you'll not have time to worry about age.

Afternoon all.

46 is fuck all man

Honestly what’s actually different about your life or health that was any different to when you where 36?

I made a bucket list a while back and I've ticked off 75% already. I am constantly adding stuff mind.

I've got more books than I will ever have lifetime to read so I need to prioritise the reading list. That sharpens the outlook on life I think and provides an incentive to read.

I have a whole load of things I could fill the time taken by work-to-pay-the-mortgage. If I ever won the lottery I'd never get bored.

46 is fuck all man

Honestly what’s actually different about your life or health that was any different to when you where 36?
Good post mate. Yep I read a lot & meditate. You have the right idea as in to keep busy & not dwell on things.
Spot on about being nice to people & animals. It makes you feel better inside 😎

Last edited:
Good post mate. Yep I read a lot & meditate. You have the right idea as in to keep busy & not dwell on things.
Spot on about being nice to people & animals. It makes you feel better inside 😎
Secret is imo is to just live your life and don’t dwell.
Try to drink plenty of water,
Exercise as much as possible,
Healthy sex life,
Treat yourself aswell once a week at least to a couple of pints and some bait.Not too much though as it has the opposite effect for days.

Still working on that last bit myself tbh…

Back