Getting old

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.
I reached the fine age of 50 last month.

It hasn’t been much different from when I was 49.

The weird thing is that I’ve been reminiscing more about when I was younger, and thinking about the people who aren’t around now.

It has dawned on me that my existence is limited by time so I have become a little more relaxed about a few things.

I’m actually looking forward to the next x years and I’m determined to make the most of it.

I’m 75 now, I never thought I was old until this past few months. Just got on with life doing all the things I liked. Taking on new tasks as they arose. I was knocked over in the school yard at 13 by a fat lad who thought he was clever. i was never too keen on surgery and tried to hols it off. Two years ago the knee was on its last leg, it had to be researched. A two year wait and done in Septmber. After surgery, I had bo pain, recovery quick and painless, why not it was me and I wasn’t old. Over a week ago, drove dentist, Health Centre car park full. After an accident at work years ago I am left with a walking impingement. I had to drive 300 yards to park, a van had taken the last disabled space. It was 400 yards back to the surgery, further than I had walked in two years. To get to dentists a corridor, leg wobbled and, in a flash, I am old, I felt my myself going down, grabbed at the wall for a handrail but none there. I hit the deck, surgical knee first. The pain was excruciating, no one to blame as if it mattered. It now takes me up to tow hours to get out of bed and get dressed with my wife’s help. I could be 100 the way that I am. Trying to keep the knee moving makes it swell, swelling bring more pain, it’s just a vicusious circle. I have a lot of hobbies but, when you cannot move without pain it isn’t easy, even parts nearby are hard to get at. What made me old? A van parked in a disabled space ans a corridor in a dentist without any form of safety rail.

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.
Humans are as far as we know are the only sentient beings that are aware of their ultimate demise and that's the ultimate bummer that we spend most of our lives trying to ignore .......just look at your own family mate and unless you unlucky you will probably live a few years plus or minus around their lifespan............I personally am not frightened of death itself but i am frightened by the pain and disability surrounding death it comes to us all and i just hope its quick and painless.

Humans are as far as we know are the only sentient beings that are aware of their ultimate demise and that's the ultimate bummer that we spend most of our lives trying to ignore .......just look at your own family mate and unless you unlucky you will probably live a few years plus or minus around their lifespan............I personally am not frightened of death itself but i am frightened by the pain and disability surrounding death it comes to us all and i just hope its quick and painless.
As Woody Allen said, "I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens!"

I’m 75 now, I never thought I was old until this past few months. Just got on with life doing all the things I liked. Taking on new tasks as they arose. I was knocked over in the school yard at 13 by a fat lad who thought he was clever. i was never too keen on surgery and tried to hols it off. Two years ago the knee was on its last leg, it had to be researched. A two year wait and done in Septmber. After surgery, I had bo pain, recovery quick and painless, why not it was me and I wasn’t old. Over a week ago, drove dentist, Health Centre car park full. After an accident at work years ago I am left with a walking impingement. I had to drive 300 yards to park, a van had taken the last disabled space. It was 400 yards back to the surgery, further than I had walked in two years. To get to dentists a corridor, leg wobbled and, in a flash, I am old, I felt my myself going down, grabbed at the wall for a handrail but none there. I hit the deck, surgical knee first. The pain was excruciating, no one to blame as if it mattered. It now takes me up to tow hours to get out of bed and get dressed with my wife’s help. I could be 100 the way that I am. Trying to keep the knee moving makes it swell, swelling bring more pain, it’s just a vicusious circle. I have a lot of hobbies but, when you cannot move without pain it isn’t easy, even parts nearby are hard to get at. What made me old? A van parked in a disabled space ans a corridor in a dentist without any form of safety rail.
How you getting on now mate , bit easier i hope .

Getting older was always something that never bothered me, in fact I quite enjoyed the feeling for a long time. But the last 3-4 years have gone a bit the other way. It's really just down to physical difficulties though. Minor things going wrong mean i can't do the things i could, and still want to do, and that makes aging not so much fun.

Afternoon all.

I was 71 in June.
Age bothered me a bit through my 40's but not since.
Biggest bonus for me was retiring early at 63 and the stress of work disappeared pdq.
Loving life now, mate !
Yes, at 71 I may have 5 years or 25 years left. Nowt I can do about it so just enjoy it while I can. I'm almost as busy now time wise as when I was a wage slave, the difference being I do what I want, when I want and don't have anyone to answer to , well except my wife!

In summary, age is just a number as far as I'm concerned.

Sequel.aweek after that opoat, things took a typurn for the worse ending with me hospitalised, knee seriously infected, two emergencr surguries to try to save the leg. It worked, Christmas abd New Yesr and six weeks in Isolation. It is now a year ansd a bit and afew weeks since I have been able to walk. I can now walk a quarter of a mile with crutches or sticks, still inmproving but a bit to go.

Sequel.aweek after that opoat, things took a typurn for the worse ending with me hospitalised, knee seriously infected, two emergencr surguries to try to save the leg. It worked, Christmas abd New Yesr and six weeks in Isolation. It is now a year ansd a bit and afew weeks since I have been able to walk. I can now walk a quarter of a mile with crutches or sticks, still inmproving but a bit to go.
After going through all that mate it's good you have some positive news- hope your recovery continues well 👍

Stick in mate , every bit is a bonus . Enjoy what youre getting back rather than lament what youre waiting for 👍

53 and just crack on but I do seem to have more anxiety than ever before . Isnt about getting older or death just general anxiety..

No idea why
Are you still experiencing the anxiety?

Recently I’ve been getting worked up over ridiculous things - mainly a failed DIY project!

I’ve decided that I’d rather pay someone than get into a tizz over unimportant things.

Some people worry about health, relationships, work. I worry about minor issues around the house.

I’m in my early 50s.

Last edited:
Are you still experiencing the anxiety?

Recently I’ve been getting worked up over ridiculous things - mainly a failed DIY project!

I’ve decided that I’d rather pay someone than get into a tizz over unimportant things.

Some people worry about health, relationships, work. I worry about minor issues around the house.

I’m in my early 50s.
Probably comes and goes. Less so at the moment .. work is going well which I think is often part of it.

Home is all over the shop but nothing new there

Probably comes and goes. Less so at the moment .. work is going well which I think is often part of it.

Home is all over the shop but nothing new there
I’m glad to hear that work is OK. I tend to float along happily but October’s been a bit of a pain. Daft things really.

Damaged my peroneal nerve on some innocuous tackle 11 months ago. Havnt been able to get out of walking pace in almost a full year. Played my first game since the incident last night, now aged 38.

I'm in a world of pain today. Conditioning gone so battered and bruised and doms everywhere.

It's crap getting old.

Meniscus worn out on the left knee. Hamstrings like Cheesestrings. Had to (sort of) quit playing footy. Can't hit people the way I used to. Pah! (60 next year :lol:)

Having said that, getting old is a privilege not afforded to everyone.
Meniscus worn out on the left knee. Hamstrings like Cheesestrings. Had to (sort of) quit playing footy. Can't hit people the way I used to. Pah! (60 next year :lol:)

Having said that, getting old is a privilege not afforded to everyone.
Case-in-point - I just got a message saying an old friend just passed away - RIP Pete (56) :cry:

Last edited:

Back