Getting old

Get up at a decent time,make your bed,have breakfast.Start the day as you mean to go on.

When I get youngens in from crap backgrounds all the above seems totally foreign to them.Parents want f***ing lashing
Aye. I have always said to my daughter not to put things off and deal with them head on and preparation is key

Last edited:

I'm 41. I was happier and fitter in my 30s than I was in my 20s. Looked after myself better, more self confidence. My 40s would be even better but this year struggled with bad back, headaches etc put a bit of a shadow on things. Hopefully sort that out and onwards and upwards. Certainly optimistic.

I'm 41. I was happier and fitter in my 30s than I was in my 20s. Looked after myself better, more self confidence. My 40s would be even better but this year struggled with bad back, headaches etc put a bit of a shadow on things. Hopefully sort that out and onwards and upwards. Certainly optimistic.
I think eating relatively well and having a vibrant sex life keeps you fit and well when your into your mid 40’s.
At the moment I’ve dropped down to one night on,one night off during the week for the old nesting but I think that’s acceptable given the busy working week.

I think eating relatively well and having a vibrant sex life keeps you fit and well when your into your mid 40’s.
At the moment I’ve dropped down to one night on,one night off during the week for the old nesting but I think that’s acceptable given the busy working week.
f***ing hell man....your patter is getting worse ;)

It’s tough. The amount of gym work I do now just to keep ailments at bay is ridiculous. If I play football for half an hour each week then I’m crippled for 5 days after. Legs are heavy during the game after one sprint anarl. Very frustrating.

I’m mid sixties; how the fork did I get here? That’s the question we ask ourselves. actually, I’ve got my aches and pains, I sport TWO heart conditions and I’ve had a few life threatening issues in the last 10 years, but life is fab. Far better than the alternative. My ambition was always to live to 100, but hey, it’s quality of life that counts. At present, I can go to the match, walk up hills and even mountains and enjoy my kids and grandchildren. I count myself blessed, even though I live with the possibilities of an unforeseen full stop. Positivity is the key here, a positive view of ageing is crucial. It’s actually a wonderful experience growing old and it’s to be savoured rather than feared. What a privilege to have seen so much and enjoyed so much of the world! How lucky just to have been on this earth. As I write this, I’m looking at the full half of my teatime pint of Abbott rather than the empty one. Big love and good luck to every SAFC marra... Embrace life and try to enjoy every second of it! X
I'm 50 and much prefer it to being in my 30's and early 40's. Sure, there's a bit of physical deteriation but this is massively outweighed by the extra knowlegde and understanding I have now. I look back at what i thought was important in my 30's and laugh at the naivety of it.
Absolutely this.

Mid-fifties, pretty lucky with health other than an arsey back and probably more active in many ways than I ever was, so crossing fingers for many years of that.

Only downer about aging at the mo, which other people will have too, is seeing parents/in-laws deteriorate and lose a lot of their personal dignity in some pretty awful ways. Hard not to think about what fate might have in store for you. But I'm clinging to faith in genetics - my dad was fit and looked twenty years younger than his age, got to 82 and felt a bit peaky one night, felt worse in the morning and got out of bed, BOOM. Gone before he hit the floor. I'll take that.

Was playing football he other month and was defending, I know never to let the ball bounce but sometimes do because I'm usually strong and fast enough for it not to be a problem. Some 17 kid nipped in and absolutely destroyed me for pace and scored. First time it has happened to me, doubt it will be the last now I'm 37. Been stressing about it but I have to face facts, I cant stay young forever.

Im more concerned about the people I love getting to their final stages, I know its the circle of life but haven't managed to accept it yet and it chews me up.

Had a similar realisation, always been quick since being young and never outpaced, then one day a yard of pace just disappeared out of nowhere and was half a second later in to challenges, but my mind didn’t get the notice about being slower.

Weird feeling as you know you’re on the downward slope. I’m absolutely shite as well so it’s not like I can mask it with skill.

Age never bothered me but last 2-3 years I have been having some minor issues with my body (back, knee, shoulder) which have stopped me doing what I enjoy, and seem to take forever to get sorted, if at all. An unpleasant reminder that I am not as young as I once was.

I'm almost 60 and and physically feel really good.
I do lots of walking and my job keeps me busy & physically active.
I'm still the same size waist (32") as I was in my 20's.
I've never smoked and these days, I very rarely drink more than 3 pints on a matchday.
I've not been drunk since 2008, and I love waking up on the morning after a match, feeling sober & as fresh as a daisy.
My one big worry/regret, is not having settled down with anyone special, to share whatever time left I have remaining, in this life.
Do it marra -loads out there waiting for a good fella .
I got married later in life than my marras.
Running clubs or walking group would be my suggestion- ( mind I’ve only had 2 lasses in 60 years so née expert ha ha !)
But still some lovely folk around .
I’m mid sixties; how the fork did I get here? That’s the question we ask ourselves. actually, I’ve got my aches and pains, I sport TWO heart conditions and I’ve had a few life threatening issues in the last 10 years, but life is fab. Far better than the alternative. My ambition was always to live to 100, but hey, it’s quality of life that counts. At present, I can go to the match, walk up hills and even mountains and enjoy my kids and grandchildren. I count myself blessed, even though I live with the possibilities of an unforeseen full stop. Positivity is the key here, a positive view of ageing is crucial. It’s actually a wonderful experience growing old and it’s to be savoured rather than feared. What a privilege to have seen so much and enjoyed so much of the world! How lucky just to have been on this earth. As I write this, I’m looking at the full half of my teatime pint of Abbott rather than the empty one. Big love and good luck to every SAFC marra... Embrace life and try to enjoy every second of it! X

Absolutely this.
Superb post marra .

Last edited:
Do it marra -loads out there waiting for a good fella .
I got married later in life than my marras.
Running clubs or walking group would be my suggestion- ( mind I’ve only had 2 lasses in 60 years so née expert ha ha !)
But still some lovely folk around .
I like to enrol on day or night courses. (Spanish language courses, Computer courses, Catering courses, and many others)
I've made plenty of friends down the years on these courses, but my Princess still eludes me.

64 and slimmer and fitter than I have been in years back down to the weight I was when I got married 35 years ago. Retired at the start of the year loving it. You are only as old as your allow yourself to be. Stay fit keep an active mind chill relax enjoy. Nothing to worry about, if you have a secure income and a good pension. If you don’t have those two things take to the street and demand the overthrow of capitalism.

Apart from slimmer, identical story.
The thing is my wife and I income is the lowest it has every been but our outgoings have never been lower.
Mortgage, children, daughters wedding payment, car loans, commuting all things of the past.
If you haven’t got your shit together by the time you are in your sixties things could be difficult.

Apart from slimmer, identical story.
The thing is my wife and I income is the lowest it has every been but our outgoings have never been lower.
Mortgage, children, daughters wedding payment, car loans, commuting all things of the past.
If you haven’t got your shit together by the time you are in your sixties things could be difficult.
It sounds boring but you need to get your pension sorted by the age of 30 and get your mortgage paid off by 60 then you can enjoy later life.

Don’t make fun of old people. If you’re lucky you’ll be one yourself one day.

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.

I did a triathlon on Sunday with very little training. First one I’ve done since getting my third ACL grafted in in 2020. Didn’t trouble the leaders but felt surprisingly good since then with very little in the way of expected muscle aches and joint pains. Not bad for an old geezer. Looking to sign up for another one soon. Since I can’t play footy any more that’s what gives some focus to my training. I get sick of people moaning like fuck on this board - every day above ground is a good day.

Back