Getting old

Yea I've found that.
I'm 56 now and have general anxiety and panic attacks never suffered before the last few years
We can all related to a lot of this thread,
its strange as I have experienced general anxiety more since hitting my 50’s. Can be sitting there and suddenly my t shirt is drenched in sweat .
It helps to look back thru your life in decade blocks and try to remember all the key points . At least then you can ‘see’ where time has gone . Otherwise as has been said you get the feeling of where the fcuk has the time gone.
Everytime a film comes on we always try and guess which year . How many of us has been amazed that it was a 30 or 40 year old film.
As a kid I used to love watching ‘old’ films with my dad. Them films were probably made 20 to 30 years prior ….. it’s like me watching Lord of the Rings with my kids now. Feels like yesterday .

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.

I think you should rejoice in the fact that you are now at an age when the naïveté and awkwardness of youth has faded, when the tribulations of emerging adult maturity have been surmounted and you are in the years when physical health (assuming that’s relatively decent) is present, strength has not yet waned and mental acuity is combined with increasing wisdom borne of experience.

I would strongly advise that you make the most of these years. Don’t create opportunity to regret things you didn’t do and didn’t say - at the same time, remember that some things are best left undone and unsaid. And you are old enough to know what they are.

I know of what I speak. I’m approaching 68. From the usual direction, so I’ve passed by where you are now. It’d be nice to go back there. But I can’t.

I think you should rejoice in the fact that you are now at an age when the naïveté and awkwardness of youth has faded, when the tribulations of emerging adult maturity have been surmounted and you are in the years when physical health (assuming that’s relatively decent) is present, strength has not yet waned and mental acuity is combined with increasing wisdom borne of experience.

I would strongly advise that you make the most of these years. Don’t create opportunity to regret things you didn’t do and didn’t say - at the same time, remember that some things are best left undone and unsaid. And you are old enough to know what they are.

I know of what I speak. I’m approaching 68. From the usual direction, so I’ve passed by where you are now. It’d be nice to go back there. But I can’t.
Cracking post 👍

I've arthritic knees and a couple of weeks ago had a series of epileptic seizures. Even 10 days ago the catheter was still in as I was looking out of a hospital bed.

I went back to work last Wednesday. Didn't even occur to me to 'rest' at home after being discharged. I play a bit of cricket in the summer and walking football during the rest of the year. When I go into work it's 3 miles from the station. Again, it never occurs to me to get a bus or cab. I automatically start walking through the park towards the city centre.

I'm off to Watford on Saturday, then Scotland v Ukraine, then seeing my mam (she's 89, lives at the top of a hill in Inverness, and every few days puts on a rucksack, walks down the hill, gets her shopping from Lidl, then walks back home). It never occurs to me to stop doing these things.

"It never occurs to me", "didn't occur to me", etc. - all to do with state of mind. I'm lucky to have one that's proactive and positive, encouraging my body to keep on doing the things I've done for decades. There's millions of people in this country who, through no fault of their own, have a chemical imbalance in the brain which prevents that mindset and encourages the opposite.

So I'm making the most of the good fortune I have in life currently.

My younger sister will be 70 in a couple of weeks. Her big birthdays always make me feel older than mine. No point in worrying about growing old as there’s nothing you can do about it. We’re here for a good time not a long time. Enjoy life and do what you can to make others do the same.
There are advantages in being older. You spend less time worrying about the opinions of people you don’t know or wish to know. You can laugh at the ridiculous things people say and do and at yourself because you know it really doesn’t matter. Treat people politely, even if they’re idiots, and leave them to it.
I do occasionally think of the future and realise I probably won’t see it but it’s inevitable and all the more reason to make the most of now. I’ve never been someone who worries about what I can’t change. I prefer to do something about the things I can change. I don’t feel old but I know I’m slower than I used to be. Doesn’t stop me doing things- just allow a bit more time to do them.

I am 50 and getting old and especially dying terrifies me. I have a 22 year old daughter who is severely disabled and an almost 14 year old son with autism. The thoughts of not being able to care for them, especially my daughter who needs me to do every tiny little thing for her gives me panic attacks. They have no one but me to look after them. Their Dad hasn't been in touch since before the pandemic, their older sister no longer lives at home and works full time, my Dad is a carer for my Mam who can no longer walk. Getting too old to care for her and having to put her into a care home makes me feel completely ill.
I have done what I can to (hopefully) prolong my life - lost a lot of weight, walk every day Megs at college, eat healthily, have never smoked and haven't touched alcohol in 3 years. I'm lot healthier than I have been for ages but nothing can stop me getting older. The thing that gives me the most huge anxiety is thinking about after I die and Megan shouting for me and I won't be there, she doesn't understand what death is and she will think I have abandoned her 😭, it's absolutely horrendous as nothing can stop the inevitable. I hate how fast time goes.

I am 50 and getting old and especially dying terrifies me. I have a 22 year old daughter who is severely disabled and an almost 14 year old son with autism. The thoughts of not being able to care for them, especially my daughter who needs me to do every tiny little thing for her gives me panic attacks. They have no one but me to look after them. Their Dad hasn't been in touch since before the pandemic, their older sister no longer lives at home and works full time, my Dad is a carer for my Mam who can no longer walk. Getting too old to care for her and having to put her into a care home makes me feel completely ill.
I have done what I can to (hopefully) prolong my life - lost a lot of weight, walk every day Megs at college, eat healthily, have never smoked and haven't touched alcohol in 3 years. I'm lot healthier than I have been for ages but nothing can stop me getting older. The thing that gives me the most huge anxiety is thinking about after I die and Megan shouting for me and I won't be there, she doesn't understand what death is and she will think I have abandoned her 😭, it's absolutely horrendous as nothing can stop the inevitable. I hate how fast time goes.
Can completely understand how that feels. You are doing amazing.. just keep going and do the things that you can control rather than worry about the things you can't, i'm sure you'll be around for decades yet :)

I’m 56. Keep myself fairly fit, swimming and cycling. Unfortunately I’ve not ran in quite a while and the longer I leave it the more scared I am to start.
I’ve tried to have a positive outlook on life. Looking through the decades as someone said to look at the highlights.
1960s - born. Don’t really remember the 1960s tbh
1970s - started school. East Herrington primary followed by Argyle House. I didn’t like school at all. The first football match I have knowledge of was the 1973 FA Cup final. Taken to my very first game in 1974. I remember being overawed by my first impression of Roker Park.
1980s - finished off my education at Belmont Comp in Durham. Left with bollox all qualifications. Proper kissed a lass for the first time in 1981. Anita Ball. Joined the army and did my first tour of NI where I was selected to be part of a covert ops platoon. Very proud of that tbh.
1990s - second tour of NI. Met Mrs TKR and married after 14 months. Left the army and joined the cops. Got a cat. Put forward for probationer of the year (didn’t get it).
2000s - became a detective. Most important thing in mine and Mrs TKRs life turned up in 2001. Passed the sergeants exams and became a detective sergeant. The cat got herself run over and died (RIP Emily). Left the police and emigrated to Australia (fao @chunkyshitehawk53).
2010s - got a dog. Did an Ironman triathlon. Left the cops, rejoined the cops seven months later. Did another Ironman triathlon and several other shorter distance triathlons as well. Got promoted to sergeant again. Visited Singapore and Langkawi on several occasions along with a couple of jaunts back to Blighty. The most important thing in our life joined the Royal Australian Navy and we went to his passing out parade just south of Melbourne. Very very proud parents that day.
2020s - after 12 and a half years had to say goodbye to the dog (RIP Chaos) but we had all those years with him. I got an electric blanket for my birthday.
I’d swap it all if it would stop my ears sprouting hairs as it was going out of fashion.

Last edited:
I'm 60 year old with a very young wife so obviously getting plenty of exercise in. Also, i run abit though distance and pace have diminished as the years have passed.
Senses all ok and memory starting to go a little.
Starting to spend more time extracting hairs from ears and nose.

I'm sure we've said this before, but I hope you're getting the support you need so you can have a break too
Proper kissed a lass for the first time in 1981. Anita Ball.

Not a lass you'd want to be around if she's hungry!

Last edited:

Back