Getting old

67 and falling to bits, I need a big operation on my ankle, I have the start of heart trouble, I left it too long to have a cartilage operation and my knee is knackered,
Aches and pains but the thing I have really noticed is I no longer like making decisions, I put off doing important stuff.

... getting old is a privilege not afforded to everyone

My missus reminds me of this when I complain.

One of my best friends died in his late 20's, I've now known him longer dead than I knew him alive :cry:

Think about how long you have left, then know you'll be asleep for 1/3rd of that, x amount of time on the loo, x amount of time stuck in traffic, x amount of time waiting for the kettle to boil, etc, etc, depressing.

My missus reminds me of this when I complain.

One of my best friends died in his late 20's, I've now known him longer dead than I knew him alive :cry:

Think about how long you have left, then know you'll be asleep for 1/3rd of that, x amount of time on the loo, x amount of time stuck in traffic, x amount of time waiting for the kettle to boil, etc, etc, depressing.
I agree with all of that except the last word. It's not depressing (to me), it's emboldening. To quote Jake Burns (SLF) and others: "I hope I LIVE before I get old".

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.
I'm 79 next birthday. I'd be lying if I said that I find ageing not to be (at times) "challenging" ------ jeez THAT'S some euphemism there! I guess I just look on each day as another one to be lived! It depends on attitude marra, I've got a good woman who's been my darlin companion for 53 years, we laugh a lot, it helps! I wish I could say to you "don't stress about age" but it's YOU thats inside your noggin is it not? Simple advice? Don't panic! Stay FIT! I go for a walk EVERY day! Keep busy! (you dont get time to dwell on the calendar then lad!)
Sending love and support from an old fart in Melbourne Australia!!
One word = ADAPT. Once you can adapt to the aging process it gets easier.......... and ... STAY HEALTHY! Good health is the absolute key to happiness! Sending besst regards and support!!

Dave

Last edited:
I'm 79 next birthday. I'd be lying if I said that I find ageing not to be (at times) "challenging" ------ jeez THAT'S some euphemism there! I guess I just look on each day as another one to be lived! It depends on attitude marra, I've got a good woman who's been my darlin companion for 53 years, we laugh a lot, it helps! I wish I could say to you "don't stress about age" but it's YOU thats inside your noggin is it not? Simple advice? Don't panic! Stay FIT! I go for a walk EVERY day! Keep busy! (you dont get time to dwell on the calendar then lad!)
Sending love and support from an old fart in Melbourne Australia!!
One word = ADAPT. Once you can adapt to the aging process it gets easier.......... and ... STAY HEALTHY! Good health is the absolute key to happiness! Sending besst regards and support!!

Dave
Great Post Dave & great positive attitude.
All the best to you & your Mrs marra

Afternoon all.

Does anyone on here get stressed by age or is it just a number to folk? I was 46 a couple of days ago & it dawned on me I'm closer to 50 than 40. Just wondered how people cope with the age thing.
You know what they say about age - you’re only as old as you feel.
Well the recent snowfall and cold snap takes me back to sleds and fun in the snow.
Picking my grandson up from Hill View Juniors on Friday, we were going back to the car and three older Hill View boys were having a bit of fun making snowballs. We were just getting in our car so I picked up some snow which was ideal for snowballs and said to the boys “Come on then …”. My grandson got out of the still open door of the car and we had a wonderful five minute fun snowball fight. Great fun for a 72 year old, his grandson and those 62 years his junior.

Now if in getting old you can keep your inner child, what is there to fear? It’s only a number 1 added to the previous year.

You know what they say about age - you’re only as old as you feel.
Well the recent snowfall and cold snap takes me back to sleds and fun in the snow.
Picking my grandson up from Hill View Juniors on Friday, we were going back to the car and three older Hill View boys were having a bit of fun making snowballs. We were just getting in our car so I picked up some snow which was ideal for snowballs and said to the boys “Come on then …”. My grandson got out of the still open door of the car and we had a wonderful five minute fun snowball fight. Great fun for a 72 year old, his grandson and those 62 years his junior.

Now if in getting old you can keep your inner child, what is there to fear? It’s only a number 1 added to the previous year.

Close....
You know what they say about age - you’re only as old as the woman you feel 😉

I’ve just picked up my state pension. Was told four years ago I needed two new knees but would have to wait. This is due to arthritis. Some days are better than others, I try not to mention it tbh but my mrs says she can see the pain in my face at times. Walking distances is out and I haven’t been to a match for about twontears now, just don’t feel confident about it. I hate it that I can’t play footy with my grandson.
I have a back problem too and cannot stay in bed as the pain when lying down is too much, so I’m an early riser😳
Gout in my right elbow and that’s about it.
I feel stressed a lot easier now and things that wouldn’t bother me do now. I’m also becoming forgetful. I’m not ready to kick the bucket just yet and will soldier on and be thankful for anytime I can spend with my family.
I’ve just telt her we need to book more holidays while we can still gan on them 👍

50 here and I've already lost a lot of friends way before their time. I've outlived my dad and my stepdad. I'm getting steadily worse arthritis in my hands, back is fucked and I'm blind as a bat!

Still loving life though, live every day as if it was my last!

50 here and I've already lost a lot of friends way before their time. I've outlived my dad and my stepdad. I'm getting steadily worse arthritis in my hands, back is fucked and I'm blind as a bat!

Still loving life though, live every day as if it was my last!
great positive attitude my friend!!!

Back