Geordies are the absolute cornerstone of Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everybody from the north east were called Geordies in my youth. My nickname in the army was Geordie from the late seventies right through to the mid 90's. I've no doubt that armchair football's need to have a label for teams lead to the term mackem.

Fuck all this...geordies are the scot's with their brains kicked out !!!!

nee talking to them. The only difference between nufc geordies and safc geordies is that some of you support the better club...THATS IT...otherwise you are all the f***ing same.

So the whole north east were geordies? like all americans are yankees ?? very sweeping statement by newcastle that like...so even then they were arrogant as fuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody from the north east were called Geordies in my youth. My nickname in the army was Geordie from the late seventies right through to the mid 90's. I've no doubt that armchair football's need to have a label for teams lead to the term mackem.

daedalus won't like this mind.:lol::lol:

I used to hate being called a Mackem in the 80's but now I just about embrace it as it separates us from the mags. It's not worth the hassle to explain that mackem is a regional accent thing, of which I don't have.

However, I'm still a Geordie that supports the Mackems.

Like we need lessons on pronunciation from geordies! You seem determined to promulgate this Geordie myth (why wouldn't you, your'e a Geordie) The term was used to undermine Sunderland's reputation as the biggest shipbuilding town in the world, by claiming they had to be completed by the more superior yards on the Tyne, which is of course, complete bollox and another example of Geordies rewriting the history books to play down the achievements of the people of Sunderland.

the poster asked a simple question and i gave him a factual account of the facts as i know them.
unlike yourself i'm not trying to re-write history or put a spin on things, ive no reason to. what's happened has happened, i like many others are only relaying the facts.

you seem desperate to push this "mackem brand" of your's forward. did you use to work in the shipyards?

Fuck all this...geordies are the scot's with their brains kicked out !!!!

nee talking to them. The only difference between nufc geordies and safc geordies is that some of you support the better club...THATS IT...otherwise you are all the f***ing same.

This is getting daft now! I'm originally from Tyneside, I've supported SAFC for over 35 years (when I say support, I mean go to all the home games and many away). I live in wearside now as I prefer it.

I don't class myself as a mackem but it doesn't matter re my support for the club or my feelings about where I live.

As others have said, the mackem term is more recent than my youth and is certainly more accepted by the younger lads. For example, my son (another proper supporter, season ticket etc) would describe himself as a mackem and that's fine by me.

In other words lads, too many on both sides of the "discussion" getting their knickers in a twist about not much more than the timing of terms.

Ha'way the lads

Last edited:
of course it didn't.
daedalus is trying to re-write history. it's quite sad that sunderland's never really had a strong identity but people trying to deny history don't help that. it smacks of insecurity.

from memory, i think the people of sunderland were often known as "townies" for a good while. others will probably deny that as well since sunderland became a "city" of sorts.:lol:

Again a Geordie myth. Typical Geordie, you really must hate the fact you support a club from Sunderland where the vast majority of its supporters are from Sunderland. Sunderland has never really had an identity? As i said: world renowned for shipbuilding and glassmaking; the birthplace of English history and the first seat of learning in England. Although, the Geordies now try to claim Bede as one of their own (no surprises there)

I'm proud of Sunderland, it's people and the club and love to correct ignorant, arrogant Geordies, such as yourself, about my city. The Geordie reference, if there ever was one, died out a generation ago. the club will never for the remainder of its existence be known as a geordie club. So I suggest you let it go and accept the fact you support Sunderland's club.

This is getting daft now! I'm originally from Tyneside, I've supported SAFC for over 35 years (when I say support, I mean go to all the home games and many away). I live in wearside now as I prefer it.

I don't class myself as a mackem but it doesn't matter re my support for the club or my feelings about where I live.

As others have said, the mackem term is more recent than my youth and is certainly more accepted by the younger lads. For example, my son (another proper supporter, season ticket etc) would describe himself as a mackem and that's fine by me.

In other words lads, too many on both sides of the "discussion" getting their knickers in a twist about not much more than the timing of terms.

Ha'way the lads

Very sensible post, apart from the proper supporter comment, meaning you can't be if you don't have a ticket? Are any of our overseas supporters proper supporters then?

Ha'way the lads

Would you ever join in a song about Wearside ? I'm guessing you would but a lot of our geordie supporters would not out of principal ....which is canny pathetic in itself

again a geordie myth. Typical geordie, you really must hate the fact you support a club from sunderland where the vast majority of its supporters are from sunderland. Sunderland has never really had an identity? As i said: World renowned for shipbuilding and glassmaking; the birthplace of english history and the first seat of learning in england. Although, the geordies now try to claim bede as one of their own (no surprises there)

i'm proud of sunderland, it's people and the club and love to correct ignorant, arrogant geordies, such as yourself, about my city. The geordie reference, if there ever was one, died out a generation ago. The club will never for the remainder of its existence be known as a geordie club. So i suggest you let it go and accept the fact you support sunderland's club.

:cool:

Very sensible post, apart from the proper supporter comment, meaning you can't be if you don't have a ticket? Are any of our overseas supporters proper supporters then?

Ok - let me elaborate. A proper supporter is one who attends games where geography and means make this possible.

(Eg those that watch home games in pubs, generally aren't!)

Would you ever join in a song about Wearside ? I'm guessing you would but a lot of our geordie supporters would not out of principal ....which is canny pathetic in itself

Yes!!!!!!!! We are we are wearside. As I said, I live in the place and prefer it. Mostly because of the people. Significantly less dickheads than in tyneside

Ok - let me elaborate. A proper supporter is one who attends games where geography and means make this possible.

(Eg those that watch home games in pubs, generally aren't!)

Yes!!!!!!!! We are we are wearside. As I said, I live in the place and prefer it. Mostly because of the people. Significantly less dickheads than in tyneside

What about if you can't currently afford to go? Or afford to sit in a pub?

Again a Geordie myth. Typical Geordie, you really must hate the fact you support a club from Sunderland where the vast majority of its supporters are from Sunderland. Sunderland has never really had an identity? As i said: world renowned for shipbuilding and glassmaking; the birthplace of English history and the first seat of learning in England. Although, the Geordies now try to claim Bede as one of their own (no surprises there)

I'm proud of Sunderland, it's people and the club and love to correct ignorant, arrogant Geordies, such as yourself, about my city. The Geordie reference, if there ever was one, died out a generation ago. the club will never for the remainder of its existence be known as a geordie club. So I suggest you let it go and accept the fact you support Sunderland's club.

i like sunderland. i get across there nearly every day.
it might be a hard pill for you to swallow but nationally sunderland has always lacked a strong identity. that's why the mackem brand was created.

the football club has always distanced itself of the "mackem" tag as it didn't want to alienate the glass makers, call centre workers, nissan workers, the foreign students, the yackers, the geordies etc etc

you seem to have a bias towards the shipbuilding "mackem" side of things. you didn't answer before, did you use to work in the shipyards yourself or are you a "glory hunter"? :lol:;)

I think you are wrong there like.

you seem to have a bias towards the shipbuilding "mackem" side of things. you didn't answer before, did you use to work in the shipyards yourself or are you a "glory hunter"? :lol:;)

The shipyards closed when I left school, My father, uncles and grandparent's all worked in the yards. I'm aware the term 'Mackem' was derogatory term given to us by Tyneside shipyard workers, but I think it's a fantastic nickname - not only does it remind us of what the city was built on, it also reminds us that the geordies had to invent this term to besmirch the proud achievements of us 'mackems' It actually says more about the nature of Geordies than it does about us.

Everything you have said on here is complete bollox with no foundation. It's obvious that Geordie supporters, like yourself, have to invent this shite to satisfy your own insecurities about supporting a Club from Sunderland - as i alluded to earlier, some geordies have a problem with this. to suggest Sunderland is a Geordie club is insane and an insult to Sunderland supporters. However, one thing is certain, the club has been a the club of the people of Sunderland for 125 years, always has been and that will never change. If you can't accept this fact fuckoff and follow the mags you deluded bellend!

Sunderland s fan base is far bigger than just Sunderland and always has been. That's one the strengths of the club

I used to hate being called a Mackem in the 80's but now I just about embrace it as it separates us from the mags. It's not worth the hassle to explain that mackem is a regional accent thing, of which I don't have.

However, I'm still a Geordie that supports the Mackems.
I have no problem with Sunlun fans being called Mackems, it's Mags being called Geordies that's the issue. The danger here is that Newcastle Utd is laying claim to all Northeasterners that are not from Sunderland and the precious Mackems on here are playing right into John Hall's hands.

If we agree the Mackems and Mags can both be Geordies then fine, otherwise Sunderland is NOT a Mackem club.

I have no problem with Sunlun fans being called Mackems, it's Mags being called Geordies that's the issue. The danger here is that Newcastle Utd is laying claim to all Northeasterners that are not from Sunderland and the precious Mackems on here are playing right into John Hall's hands.

If we agree the Mackems and Mags can both be Geordies then fine, otherwise Sunderland is NOT a Mackem club.

Its been happening since the year dot man when the whole of the north east was a geordie :roll:

Times have changed..onwards and upwards !!

HA'WAY THE LADS !!! not howay.

Gan listen to some "big river" by jimmy nail !!!

Its been happening since the year dot man when the whole of the north east was a geordie :roll:

Times have changed..onwards and upwards !!

HA'WAY THE LADS !!! not howay.

Gan listen to some "big river" by jimmy nail !!!

As the lad says above, don't let it. Don't do John Halls work for him, nasty kernt!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back