Fish & Chips Price Watch

Me and my wife went to Morrisons and she bought some fresh cod. There was enough for a decent fish each when battered as it would be from the chippy.
We had homemade mushy peas with homemade battered cod and frozen chips.
The fresh fish was about £7.50 and the mushy peas were about 50p (half a frozen £1 bag). The chips cost about 50p also from the frozen bag. Say £9 for it all including a few slices of buttered bread and bearing in mind the cod was absolutely fantastic and fresh and flakey white which fed two of us as would a normal fish and chips from the chippy would.

From Verrill's (Hartlepool headland chippy) that would've cost us about £21.

Me and my wife went to Morrisons and she bought some fresh cod. There was enough for a decent fish each when battered as it would be from the chippy.
The fresh fish was about £7.50 and the mushy peas were about 50p (half a frozen £1 bag). The chips cost about 50p also from the frozen bag. Say £9 for it all including a few slices of buttered bread and bearing in mind the cod was absolutely fantastic and fresh and flakey white which fed two of us as would a normal fish and chips from the chippy would.

credit to you both .... well done!

[/QUOTE
So the £21 is subject to 20% vat so that is down to £16.80.
Now your gas and electricity is not free , nor is your time and they are working on a GRoss of £7.80. That has to pay for everything- it doesn’t leave a lot.

Your response is a totally accepted argument and understood but (and I mean this) the time, effort and pleasure the couple put into this is commendable.
Its not all about beating the chippy prices but to sit down at home and enjoy the what was prepared together is heartening and again I'll say its a credit to them.

Hoki is the nearest to cod you will
Get in New Zealand. Very nice fish. The Hake will be totally different to what we have. Unless it is frozen and imported from elsewhere.
Yes correct, blue hake I believe it was called in the shop just searched it and it’s the same as Hoki.

Your response is a totally accepted argument and understood but (and I mean this) the time, effort and pleasure the couple put into this is commendable.
Its not all about beating the chippy prices but to sit down at home and enjoy the what was prepared together is heartening and again I'll say its a credit to them.
Chip shops do make a fortune on peas, curry sauce etc . People should save money doing those at home and just buy the core product from the chip shop.

Do you not bother with Papas

i think they should already be using alternative species. Good fish and chip shops can serve any fish and it would still be a great product. If hake was £6 and cod .£9 I would take the hake at a good shop. Shops used to just sell catch of the day and it would be great to go back to those days.

It would be a struggle to get 5 top quality shops in London. There are some but not many.
LEE ROAD FISH BAR

Back