Fish & Chips Price Watch

In Edinburgh in the 60's it was always whiting, small, crap and expensive . I used to get haggis instead of fish .
And butterfly fillets 1 mm thick. Scotland did traditionally serve shit fish and chips. A lot more decent ones now but they really do know what to charge.
Had hoki in West Australia in December (look at me!). Was a nice bit of fish. Sat eating it on the beach at Mullaloo watching the sunset.
I think it’s a totally different meal in Oz. It’s light and clean. Whereas here it’s a heavy , stodgy comfort food - Both probably reflecting the respective climates.
I prefer ours.

Last edited:

And butterfly fillets 1 mm thick. Scotland did traditionally serve shit fish and chips.
Aye, you've got it dead right . Half the England portion size and twice the price . They did however deliver all those years ago .
Two haddock, one chips and a battered sausage for the dog, £22 from Gormans North Seaton yesterday. Excellent chippy.
What's that one at Seaton Sluice called ? Next to the church and opposite the club . For me, thats the best in the NE .

Last edited:
Aye, you've got it dead right . Half the England portion size and twice the price . They did however deliver all those years ago .

What's that one at Seaton Sluice called ? Next to the church and opposite the club . For me, thats the best in the NE .
Harbour View? Not been yet but will make the trip when the weather warms up a bit. Meant to be very good.

Two haddock, one chips and a battered sausage for the dog, £22 from Gormans North Seaton yesterday. Excellent chippy.
Is it still the Gormans in there ? They sold a few. They were superb fish and chips. One of my first customers a long time ago. 16-32 skin on cod in those days.
An average Chippy then used 5-6 cases. When I first got Gormans it was was , aye. Send 30 here, 45 there and 24 there. I struck gold.

Is it still the Gormans in there ? They sold a few. They were superb fish and chips. One of my first customers a long time ago. 16-32 skin on cod in those days.
An average Chippy then used 5-6 cases. When I first got Gormans it was was , aye. Send 30 here, 45 there and 24 there. I struck gold.
I think they must be related to the one in Fenham cos that is excellent as well (or used to be). It didn’t look busy but they were doing shed loads of deliveries.

Gormans do a cheese pattie which I had a couple of months ago that is superb. More cheese than potato in them.
I think that will be Larrys. You can buy them from the factory on Tanners Bank in North Shields. Corned beef and fish cakes as well. Good stuff.

Was that fresh or fresh frozen ? Both way better than the old block fish .

It's a different Gorman's I believe. V Gorman instead. Don't think it's related to the other's as far I'm aware who's history baffles me. If I'm right the Gorman's now own Fenham Fish Bar and the others who knows - they're pretty dire nowadays though.

It's a different Gorman's I believe. V Gorman instead. Don't think it's related to the other's as far I'm aware who's history baffles me. If I'm right the Gorman's now own Fenham Fish Bar and the others who knows - they're pretty dire nowadays though.
I couldn’t keep up then. I know one of the brothers died. There was a family fall out with one of the sisters. They sold a couple but opened a couple. One on an industrial estate which was a shit site but did a bomb. It then closed. And , they def sold one of the prime sites to an Indian. I believe the fish and chips maintained an excellent standard.
I have got one of the Harry Ramsdens jumbo cod from Iceland in the oven now. Not cheap £6 for 2 x 8oz fillets. Chips will be done in the air fryer. I will report back within the hour.

Last edited:
I couldn’t keep up then. I know one of the brothers died. There was a family fall out with one of the sisters. They sold a couple but opened a couple. One on an industrial estate which was a shit site but did a bomb. It then closed. And , they def sold one of the prime sites to an Indian. I believe the fish and chips maintained an excellent standard.
I have got one of the Harry Ramsdens jumbo cod from Iceland in the oven now. Not cheap £6 for 2 x 8oz fillets. Chips will be done in the air fryer. I will report back within the hour.

Think there's 5 left now.

One at Byker, one at Westerhope and one at Longbenton which seem to be connected. Then there's one in Denton Burn which seems to be separate, all these are poor nowadays whether they're actually owned by them who knows but the reviews are poor for all 4 and it's more cold food, greasy etc - been to the Longbenton one before ages ago and I'd agree with them.

Then Fenham Fish Bar which is 100% owned by them and is one of the best in the North East.

Plus V. Gorman in Ashington which is independent.

I could be very wrong though. Gill's is equally as confusing, I know they had Seaton Sluice at one point though.

Last edited:

Back