Fish & Chips Price Watch

Watched a top five chip shops in London video on YouTube today and made two observations- their best chippies looked a bit shit to me and they were all over a tenner for fish and chips, one was 14 quid.
What do you think the future holds for fish prices for the average fish and chip shop? Do you think they’ll be forced to diversify and use the likes of pollock, hake, coley etc?
They absolutely should. I’d choose hake or dogfish over cod every time if it was available.

Last edited:
The Catch in North Cave marra. V nice mind
Do you not bother with Papas
What do you think the future holds for fish prices for the average fish and chip shop? Do you think they’ll be forced to diversify and use the likes of pollock, hake, coley etc?
i think they should already be using alternative species. Good fish and chip shops can serve any fish and it would still be a great product. If hake was £6 and cod .£9 I would take the hake at a good shop. Shops used to just sell catch of the day and it would be great to go back to those days.
Watched a top five chip shops in London video on YouTube today and made two observations- their best chippies looked a bit shit to me and they were all over a tenner for fish and chips, one was 14 quid.

They absolutely should. I’d choose hake or dogfish over cod every time if it was available.
It would be a struggle to get 5 top quality shops in London. There are some but not many.

Last edited:
Do you not bother with Papas

Shops used to just sell catch of the day and it would be great to go back to those days.
I’m sure there’s a shop in both South Shields (green lane?) and North Shields (can’t remember name) that does something along this line. Hopefully some of the more traditional fish and chip shops go down this route in the near future.

The problem isn't necessarily the price, it's the price increase that puts people off.

A big jump is more likely to see people binning it than slower and steadier increases over the years like the others have done.

With 10.1% inflation they have to put the prices up. Unfortunately I won't pay those prices.

I’m sure there’s a shop in both South Shields (green lane?) and North Shields (can’t remember name) that does something along this line. Hopefully some of the more traditional fish and chip shops go down this route in the near future.
Certainly Green Lanes in South Shields can get rid of the “ cheaper “ fish by giving his customers a good deal. He’s an old maestro though.
Yes. They have a few though. Papas is hit and miss but it is always ridiculously cheap. God knows how they do it.
I'm sure 2 fish lots and fish bites & chips cost me about £30-32 in Crozier Street last week.

Worth it like best chippy in Sunlun
But if that had been hake lots and hake bites for £22 would you have been happier. I certainly would. Especially at a shop like Croziers where he could fry a sock and it would be edible.
With 10.1% inflation they have to put the prices up. Unfortunately I won't pay those prices.
Would you pay 23% less if it was hake and the same quality ?

Last edited:
But if that had been hake lots and hake bites for £22 would you have been happier. I certainly would. Especially at a shop like Croziers where he could fry a sock and it would be edible.

Would you pay 23% less if it was hake and the same quality ?
I've posted before that I am happy to eat hake and pollock as an alternative to cod and most definitely would choose them over cod if they were available at a third cheaper.

Back