Fish & Chips Price Watch

Church

Striker
Are we in danger of losing fish and chip shops due to price hikes?

My local chippy now selling cod and chips at £9.50.

I love eating fish and chips and it used to be a fairly affordable family treat, but for my family of 4 where we get three full portions to share between us and chips/gravy/curry it's costing over £30.

What's everyone else paying?

Is £9.50 for a takeaway meal that expensive really tho? About the same price as a large pizza/kebab/curry and rice. Fish and chips was probably too cheap back in the day for what you got imo. How much is a big fillet of cod in the supermarket nowadays?
About the cost of a decent pizza from a takeaway and you get no chips with a pizza, and fish and chips are twice the taste

£7.50 at my chippy for haddock and chips at starbeck in sandyford. They’ve made smaller portions rather than put the prices up. It’s a cracking chippy. There’s enough on there for me but it is sad because most chippies who dont do kebabs and stuff have now gone so I think this is pretty much the end of the English fish and chip shop. Most simply won’t pay it.

Is £9.50 for a takeaway meal that expensive really tho? About the same price as a large pizza/kebab/curry and rice. Fish and chips was probably too cheap back in the day for what you got imo. How much is a big fillet of cod in the supermarket nowadays?
No definitely not but there won’t be enough of us that think like this to sustain A business. People prefer quantity now. I was in a pizza shop once and a bloke was making up a wrap with kebab meat, chips, bolognaise sauce, garlic sauce and a Parmo.

You can buy cod in supermarkets for about £5 and get two decent portions
Or go to farm foods and get two frozen youngs battered fillets for about£1.50

The problem isn't necessarily the price, it's the price increase that puts people off.

A big jump is more likely to see people binning it than slower and steadier increases over the years like the others have done.
Aye that’s it. People in the main are as thick as shit and will blame the chippy. I’ve seen people recently complain that the government can fuck off with this monkeypox if they think they’re accepting this.
You can buy cod in supermarkets for about £5 and get two decent portions
Or go to farm foods and get two frozen youngs battered fillets for about£1.50
Aye look at the weight

Are we in danger of losing fish and chip shops due to price hikes?

My local chippy now selling cod and chips at £9.50.

I love eating fish and chips and it used to be a fairly affordable family treat, but for my family of 4 where we get three full portions to share between us and chips/gravy/curry it's costing over £30.

What's everyone else paying?
Which shop and whereabouts ? They will all be over £10 but it is still a wild and natural product. Compare that to a Dominos for £20 + which is 100% processed. Also, fresh cod from the supermarkets is over £12/lb. the chip shop is battering it, cooking it, wrapping it and paying vat on it for almost the same money- dont give up on them !

Tastes even better if you stick one of your kids up the chimney 👍
Just a quick question is your name intentionally an anagram of Angel?
Which shop and whereabouts ? They will all be over £10 but it is still a wild and natural product. Compare that to a Dominos for £20 + which is 100% processed. Also, fresh cod from the supermarkets is over £12/lb. the chip shop is battering it, cooking it, wrapping it and paying vat on it for almost the same money- dont give up on them !
He’s not saying don’t do it he’s just asking a question

£7.50 at my chippy for haddock and chips at starbeck in sandyford. They’ve made smaller portions rather than put the prices up. It’s a cracking chippy. There’s enough on there for me but it is sad because most chippies who dont do kebabs and stuff have now gone so I think this is pretty much the end of the English fish and chip shop. Most simply won’t pay it.
When i had my business in North Shields the people i bought the business off owned Starbeck- it was a great shop. They sold it about 7 years ago. i have had it recently and didnt think it was as good.
Downey's seems to be doing well round here still. Always people queuing up when I go past.
its not the best but it is always good. I think they are doing a small portion now for about £6 and i bet that is their best seller. If it isnt enough, take it home and have a tin of peas and some bread and butter.

Last edited:
Good fish shops round our way have queues out the door. The shitty ones that sell cheap guff and have stuff sitting in the hot box things will likely struggle.

And the amount of chios you get these days is ridiculous.

Two fish and one chips can feed the two kids and me and Mrs Mt. Costs about 20 quid.

Back