Fish & Chips Price Watch

it is but very slowly. as i say, if your option was £6 for hake or £10 for cod i am sure the majority would take the hake. i also think they would reorder it as it is that good. all you punters need to start asking your chip shop for cheaper alternatives.;
We were at Squires in Braunton tonight and the missus ordered poached hake.

It was a lovely looking chunk of fish and they’d poached it to perfection. The bits I tasted were absolutely beautiful.

I had their fish curry which is cod and wee prawns in the best curry sauce you can imagine.

Highly recommended if anyone is down that neck of the woods. Never had a bad bit of fish there.

We were at Squires in Braunton tonight and the missus ordered poached hake.

It was a lovely looking chunk of fish and they’d poached it to perfection. The bits I tasted were absolutely beautiful.

I had their fish curry which is cod and wee prawns in the best curry sauce you can imagine.

Highly recommended if anyone is down that neck of the woods. Never had a bad bit of fish there.
Hake is tremendous
Lovely texture and taste

I had fish and chips yesterday. The portion size was ridiculous. We got four meals out of the chips. £16 for two of us.

The shop offered “hangover boxes” too.

Classy!

I found the best ones you don't get loads of chips like, quality over quantity.
They’ve changed the way they do it at that Squires place Rather than give everyone huge portions in the restaurant bit then end up throwing loads away they give what I still think is a decent amount then offer additional chips as you make your way through them during your meal.

Much more sensible.

I had fish and chips yesterday. The portion size was ridiculous. We got four meals out of the chips. £16 for two of us.

The shop offered “hangover boxes” too.

Classy!
Well that’s no good man. Where from ?
Never understand why chippies like don't cut the fish in half and charge £7.50. They make more money as chips cost nowt and it's cheaper for the person buying it, win win. Looks nice to be fair though.
I try and tell them this on a daily basis. Even then it would be a massive portion. Take it home , have 2 slices of bread and a tin of peas and it’s enough for 2.
They’ve changed the way they do it at that Squires place Rather than give everyone huge portions in the restaurant bit then end up throwing loads away they give what I still think is a decent amount then offer additional chips as you make your way through them during your meal.

Much more sensible.
I haven’t been for a good while but don’t Squires weigh your fish and charge accordingly? In the take away anyway.
I found the best ones you don't get loads of chips like, quality over quantity.
There are a tiny few when you get the best of both worlds.
But certainly with the likes of Bells the portions are not massive but the quality is great
Then you have the one in Delves Lane which a portion could feed a family of 4!but it’s shit.
One of the best around imo. Love living in a seaside town
his fish isn’t local !!
Having threatened to close due to increased gas prices Colin at Croziers has decided to stay open.
In fact he has invested over £50k on a new range so he is going nowhere for a while.

Last edited:
Just back from NZ where I have been getting nice Gurnard and Mike with chips for less than £6. Did once have cod for around £9 iirc.
Considering most other stuff there is more expensive than here i found chippies excellent vfm
Aren’t chips virtually the same price as the fish though ?
Shops here could sell fish and chips for £6 and make a great margin. It would be coley , whiting or pollock etc. but in a beef dripping batter with salt and vinegar it would taste the same. Some try but customers seem to prefer paying £11 for cod and whingeing.
Up until the 50’s you got whatever was Cheapest on the market.

Shops here could sell fish and chips for £6 and make a great margin. It would be coley , whiting or pollock etc. but in a beef dripping batter with salt and vinegar it would taste the same. Some try but customers seem to prefer paying £11 for cod and whingeing.
Up until the 50’s you got whatever was Cheapest on the market.
Autocorrect should be Moki not Mike. Just got f+c as advertised on board and plenty chips for us both. Did see other prices for chips and maybe pricey.
Top recommended ones for us were Eriks in Queenstown and Seamarket, Cuba st, Welly

Autocorrect should be Moki not Mike. Just got f+c as advertised on board and plenty chips for us both. Did see other prices for chips and maybe pricey.
Top recommended ones for us were Eriks in Queenstown and Seamarket, Cuba st, Welly
New Zealand has hoki and moki ? That’s a good New Zealand fish. Looks like our ling and tastes like cod. And I think they are called fush and chups there.

Last edited:
Us Cheapest on tp until the 50’s you got whatever wahe market.
In Edinburgh in the 60's it was always whiting, small, crap and expensive . I used to get haggis instead of fish .

New Zealand has hoki and moki ? That’s a good New Zealand fish. Looks like our ling and tastes like cod. And I think they are called fush and chups there.
Had hoki in West Australia in December (look at me!). Was a nice bit of fish. Sat eating it on the beach at Mullaloo watching the sunset.

Back