[First Test] England v West Indies - Southampton

I just watched the highlights. Pretty well beaten. The decision to bat first didn't work. In terms of selection, I think Denley (of course), Buttler and Woods should be replaced.

Cricviz said was his only drop in the last 2 years

Was only keeper with 100%

People just make stuff up on here

Chanced his arm for sure

Cracking game

Feel we had our chance yesterday 220-3 or whatever
Fair enough. He is still selected on the basis of his batting though and he has been a bit ropey with the bat for a while.

Yes but your not short of an opinion on here (which can I say I like) but who would you leave out for Root?

Probably Denly aye but its tight

people going way over the top for me like. Crawley and Burns remain on very similar averages.

I wouldn't be making many changes like, first game in 3 months

the obsession with the wicketkeeper continues to baffle me, blaming a number 7 batsman for no top order 100s, happens every game.

Buttler played nicely first innings with the tail

Chunky and some seem to think wicket keepers should average over 40, they don't

I’m generally a big fan of MH but he’s been getting a bit too ‘I told you so’ for me for a while now. Slightly grating on me but I’d sooner listen to him than Bishop, sure he’s a lovely fella but just don’t like his style.

You’re not going to like this mate but I didn’t see the need for Bess here and I still don’t - his valuable first innings runs and unlucky non lb today aside he should have sat this one out for me. I like him, especially with the bat, but unless it’s a dust bowl at Old Trafford, with Root coming back in, I think, for me, he misses out and Broad comes back in. Possibly Woakes for Wood and Root for Denly. Not too fussed what they do with the Buttler, runs in the first innings but poor otherwise. I’d be as happy to see him get another chance as I would seeing Foakes get a game.
Wouldnt be surprised to see us bounce back strongly at OT and even go on to win the series. It’s what we do.
Hope you enjoy your slight profits from today mate 😉

Yeah quite possibly with his off spin. Spins not played a big role at all here though and was never likely to.

I like Bishop but can see where you're coming from re: style.

For UK viewers we mainly hear and see him doing limited overs and especially T20s. I associate his voice with crash bang wallop cricket so hearing him to do tests is a little weird.

I like Bishop but can see where you're coming from re: style.

For UK viewers we mainly hear and see him doing limited overs and especially T20s. I associate his voice with crash bang wallop cricket so hearing him to do tests is a little weird.
Enjoyed his commentary in this Test, but his T20 stuff is awful.

people going way over the top for me like. Crawley and Burns remain on very similar averages.

the obsession with the wicketkeeper continues to baffle me, blaming a number 7 batsman for no top order 100s, happens every game.

Top sides these days generally have wicketkeepers who average at least close to 40, except Australia who for some reason have massively struggled with keepers since Gilchrist.

The likes of De Kock, Sarfaraz, Watling, Dhoni and Mushfiqur all average north of 35, most closer to 40. There’s no reason someone with Buttler’s talent shouldn’t be somewhere up there either, but for whatever reason he just can’t reproduce his one day form into tests.

I don’t hold out much hope for him anymore, hopefully Bairstow can sort himself out and come back to take that number 7 spot back.

The wicket keeping point is completely understandable - Buttler averages 23 in the last 18 months (Spanning 14 tests), and Bairstow averages 24 in his last two years of test cricket (21 tests)

It's not about expecting someone to average 40 and score hundreds every other test, it's about having a keeper that can average more with the bat than Chris Woakes.

The Denly stuff isn't over the top either, there is no one else who should even be in consideration to make way for Root.

Last edited:

Totally agree I reckon before the test the plan was for Root to come in at no 4 replacing Crawley. But tough to justify that now.
As far as the top 7 go none of them are scoring enough 100s even Stokes and Root as the two quality batsmen are nowhere near clinical enough in converting decent starts into match defining innings. The rest have got to prove they are good enough at this level and not just good county players.

That's not true he had a partnership of 3 with Bess

Scored his runs with Stokes. The biggest partnership of the first innings.

That Stokes/Crawley partnership in second innings was the most key for the end result. That goes on and we don't lose.

Last edited:
The wicket keeping point is completely understandable - Buttler averages 23 in the last 18 months (Spanning 14 tests), and Bairstow averages 24 in his last two years of test cricket (21 tests)

It's not about expecting someone to average 40 and score hundreds every other test, it's about having a keeper that can average more with the bat than Chris Woakes.

The Denly stuff isn't over the top either, there is no one else who should even be in consideration to make way for Root.
Also if we are to not expect runs from our WK, pick the best person behind the stumps. That isn't butler
Archer was also poor with the new ball 1st innings with the most friendly conditions we got to bowl in

Last edited:
Also if we are to not expect runs from our WK, pick the best person behind the stumps. That isn't butler
Archer was also poor with the new ball 1st innings with the most friendly conditions we got to bowl in
I think we had our team picked based on how the Rose bowl plays rather than conditions. Which was stupid.

Broad and Jimmy would have made inroads on that interrupted day 1.

But as we chose to bat, it was our batters that let us down. Inexperienced or not we got starts in both innings and didn't take them

I could understand persevering with a 21 year old averaging 29.5 in test cricket better than someone at the end of their career.

Yet they want to pick someone who averaged less than that in county cricket.

But people quote a career average of 35 like its not good enoigh

not sure what that is based on for a keeper at 7, its fine.

Yet they want to pick someone who averaged less than that in county cricket.

But people quote a career average of 35 like its not good enoigh

not sure what that is based on for a keeper at 7, its fine.

Because the said replacement was man of the series in his only test series, man of the match in his only ODI appearance and is widely regarded as a better gloveman.

I'd be happy with our keeper averaging 35, but Buttler and Bairstow in the last 2 years aren't close to it.

Because the said replacement was man of the series in his only test series, man of the match in his only ODI appearance and is widely regarded as a better gloveman.

I'd be happy with our keeper averaging 35, but Buttler and Bairstow in the last 2 years aren't close to it.

Yeah fair does

it gets far too much attention like, and usually gets brought up when our top order havent got 100s

I think we were spoilt for a while

just for perspective, Mark Boucher averaged 30

People talking about the keeping position being between Butter, Bairstow and Foakes but what about Bracey.
The selectors have been quick to promote him through the development squads. I was listeningto TMS on the first day when there was no play and Simon Mann who is not into hype and spin like some of these commentators was saying how much he had impressed during the training period and warm up match both on and off the pitch.

Yeah fair does

it gets far too much attention like, and usually gets brought up when our top order havent got 100s

I think we were spoilt for a while

just for perspective, Mark Boucher averaged 30

Matt Prior, our best keeper batsman of the last 15 years only managed 7 hundreds, so we need to put things into perspective and not expect Gilchrist-esque performances from our keepers. The failures of Bairstow and Buttler however have been all too frequent and similar in recent times so fresh face is the way forward for me.

Matt Prior, our best keeper batsman of the last 15 years only managed 7 hundreds, so we need to put things into perspective and not expect Gilchrist-esque performances from our keepers. The failures of Bairstow and Buttler however have been all too frequent and similar in recent times so fresh face is the way forward for me.

Its always a difficult one and understand some of the arguments.

But on the other side of the coin if Bairstow batted 7 is their really a better number 7 than him in county cricket at the moment I really don’t think there is.

Back