[First Test] England v West Indies - Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow averages 38.59 batting at seven. But for an abysmal run of form he would be well ahead of Jos in pecking order. Keeping wise they're about equal with Foakes well ahead of both.

I love Jos Buttler as a cricketer but he's an ODI player first and foremost.

Bairstow averages 38.59 batting at seven. But for an abysmal run of form he would be well ahead of Jos in pecking order. Keeping wise they're about equal with Foakes well ahead of both.

I love Jos Buttler as a cricketer but he's an ODI player first and foremost.
I'm not sure about this, keep seeing it said, but where's the evidence at Test level? Not knocking Foakes, I'm sure he's excellent but Bairstow really hasn't put a foot wrong with the gloves since he got them.

Read it again.

I must have misread

Interestingly foakes only has 9

Just shows you that they don’t actually score many 100s

I wouldn’t have Buttler in, bairstow is by far the best in the country when left at 7, behind a solid top 6

The whole issue gets way too much attention though and isn’t remotely one of our problems

Foakes is better, but Bairstow is also very good. Buttler trails the pair by some distance.
As I said, where’s the evidence, at the highest level? It’s dead easy to say it, it might well be right, but at the minute the proof is not there. Bairstow has a body of work behind him that shows he’s an excellent Test standard keeper.

Buttler is a very good keeper, you don’t do what he did in the WC Final under that pressure without being top class. He’s struggling a bit at the moment though.

I must have misread

Interestingly foakes only has 9

Just shows you that they don’t actually score many 100s

I wouldn’t have Buttler in, bairstow is by far the best in the country when left at 7, behind a solid top 6

The whole issue gets way too much attention though and isn’t remotely one of our problems

In one respect you have a point, but it's definitely a problem if you have two wicket-keepers barely averaging mid 20's in the last 2 years. Time to look elsewhere IMO.

In one respect you have a point, but it's definitely a problem if you have two wicket-keepers barely averaging mid 20's in the last 2 years. Time to look elsewhere IMO.

Its because the top order has scored no runs, and are still no averaging 30s

Burns has 33 and he gets praised constntly and gets pundit work!

thats the issue, would help if they werent coming in 100-5 all time

think its improving though
I honestly like Ben Foakes, and I hope he goes on to have a great England career, I go to Surrey a lot so would be chuffed

But I have never seen another sportsman get more praise than this lad, based on so little, its insane!

People think he the second coming because on basically nout.

Most of the last 20 pages is about the wicket keeper, proves my point 100%, I just don't get the obsession with it

Mark Boucher averaged 30!!

30!

Last edited:
Its because the top order has scored no runs, and are still no averaging 30s

Burns has 33 and he gets praised constntly and gets pundit work!

thats the issue, would help if they werent coming in 100-5 all time

think its improving though
I honestly like Ben Foakes, and I hope he goes on to have a great England career, I go to Surrey a lot so would be chuffed

But I have never seen another sportsman get more praise than this lad, based on so little, its insane!

People think he the second coming because on basically nout.

Most of the last 20 pages is about the wicket keeper, proves my point 100%, I just don't get the obsession with it

Mark Boucher averaged 30!!

30!

The reason that Buttler and Bairstow have averaged so little in the last 2 years is down to the top order being under-par?

The reason that Buttler and Bairstow have averaged so little in the last 2 years is down to the top order being under-par?

errr yeah. Plays a massive part of course, thats just a stating the obvious thing

Its the same as Stokes n Root coming in when the ball is so hard.

Basic cricketing logic that mate :confused:

You do know the top order are meant to take the shine off the ball??

errr yeah. Plays a massive part of course, thats just a stating the obvious thing

It might make their job more difficult but they are averaging 22 and 23 over the last 2 years, for context, let's compare that to England WK's of the past.

Jack Russell - 27.1
Tim Ambrose - 29.8
Geraint Jones - 23.9
Steve Rhodes - 24.5

Below some of the great WK batsmen England have ever produced there. You can make your defence all you like, the records of Buttler and Bairstow in test cricket over the last 2 years have been poor. In modern test cricket, your WK averaging under 30 is nowhere near good enough.

It might make their job more difficult but they are averaging 22 and 23 over the last 2 years, for context, let's compare that to England WK's of the past.

Jack Russell - 27.1
Tim Ambrose - 29.8
Geraint Jones - 23.9
Steve Rhodes - 24.5

Below some of the great WK batsmen England have ever produced there. You can make your defence all you like, the records of Buttler and Bairstow in test cricket over the last 2 years have been poor. In modern test cricket, your WK averaging under 30 is nowhere near good enough.
“Basic cricketing logic” mate

Jack Russell - 27.1
Tim Ambrose - 29.8
Geraint Jones - 23.9
Steve Rhodes - 24.5

Mate bairstow for example was sometimes keeping wicket and batting 4!

I’m not saying they been good enough but there are reasons for it and it’s getting too much press

Sorry but I’m not having that.

Someone like De Kock is playing behind one of the worst top orders in world cricket and he still scores a boat load of runs.

Yeah it’s not ideal the top order don’t score big a lot of the time, but the number 7 is still coming in a good 30-40 overs in so they’re not exactly facing the new ball are they.

Mate bairstow for example was sometimes keeping wicket and batting 4!

I’m not saying they been good enough but there are reasons for it and it’s getting too much press
That’s fair enough if the keeper is batting 4 and getting no protection from the top order however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back