[First Test] England v West Indies - Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Prior, our best keeper batsman of the last 15 years only managed 7 hundreds, so we need to put things into perspective and not expect Gilchrist-esque performances from our keepers. The failures of Bairstow and Buttler however have been all too frequent and similar in recent times so fresh face is the way forward for me.
7 test hundreds is one more than the first class total of Buttler

Its always a difficult one and understand some of the arguments.

But on the other side of the coin if Bairstow batted 7 is their really a better number 7 than him in county cricket at the moment I really don’t think there is.
Bairstow should have never been moved from 7. That really is the main point in this keeper argument.

We tried to fills holes in our weak batting and it played havoc with his technique. Then he became a top class white ball player and it's only exacerbated the issue.

He has to go away and get it back before he gets back in the side. As much as I have wanted Buttler to succeed he just hasn't and has been afforded more opportunities than he would if he wasn't a world class white ball player.

Foakes had a bad season otherwise he'd be in the side. But he's next off the rank otherwise Bairstow would have had the gloves in the inter squad game instead.

So if Buttler fails to impress in rest of series I'd be surprised if he isn't replaced by Foakes. As you have to think they will have one eye on India as he is the best gloveman and a good player of spin based on Sri Lanka.

Aye one of the top order who you also don't mind getting 30as well

Yeah but I’m fairly happy with the make up of the side

No problem with Crawley for Denly but I think he has done a decent role

Root And stokes has been coming in against An old ball

Just think players get criticized too much
7 test hundreds is one more than the first class total of Buttler

That’s not true actually

Matt Prior, our best keeper batsman of the last 15 years only managed 7 hundreds, so we need to put things into perspective and not expect Gilchrist-esque performances from our keepers. The failures of Bairstow and Buttler however have been all too frequent and similar in recent times so fresh face is the way forward for me.

Yeah fair post

This is my main point really, even when they were doing better think people expected more

There’s too much attention on the keeper like, normally coming in at 100-5

Prior is arguably our best ever, him or Stewart

Bairstow averages 35? Might be wrong but it’s not that bad like

Although recent for not as good I admit

I’m fairly positive on make up of the side

He has 6 100s like

Yeah fair post

This is my main point really, even when they were doing better think people expected more

He has 6 100s like

Bairstow averages 34.7 so overall that's pretty decent. Concern for me is his prolonged period of poor form, and that his overall average is boosted by a brilliant year in 2016 where he averaged just under 60. Every other year he's had a poor or moderate return, add into that his obvious technical flaw which never seems to have gone away and it suggests to me that he'll never be anything other than an average test batsman capable of fine moments but overall, not quite consistent enough.

He's a better test player than Buttler mind.

Yeah fair post

He has 6 100s like
And Prior has 7 test hundreds.

7 is a bigger number than 6.

I can't be arsed with another round of wicketkeeper wars.

I think there was a strong case for dropping Buttler for Foakes before a ball was bowled, but you've got to give Buttler the series I think before making a call of that nature. Doesn't help that there are limited options to run the rule over Foakes (or Bairstow's) form. The quality of his actual keeping is not good though and if you're going to bowl Archer (and Wood) that matters more. Foakes is the best in that respect, but Bairstow is no slouch either and there's a clear gap in quality between those two and Buttler in my opinion.

I think the team picks itself, Broad comes in for Wood, Root for Denly. I think they got it wrong with Wood - pitch-wise seems like they got him and Broad the wrong way round. Would be canny tempted not to pick Broad again though just for management reasons. I know he just had his best calender year, taking 2nd most wickets in world at 23s, but you'd think nobody had ever been dropped before the way he was banging on. Wood has been decent recently and Archer the best young fast bowling prospect in the world, so it was hardly a total left-field call.

That said, I'd really be licking my lips at seeing Archer-Broad-Anderson-Stokes for a run of games.

Last edited:
Bairstow should have never been moved from 7. That really is the main point in this keeper argument.

We tried to fills holes in our weak batting and it played havoc with his technique. Then he became a top class white ball player and it's only exacerbated the issue.

He has to go away and get it back before he gets back in the side. As much as I have wanted Buttler to succeed he just hasn't and has been afforded more opportunities than he would if he wasn't a world class white ball player.

Foakes had a bad season otherwise he'd be in the side. But he's next off the rank otherwise Bairstow would have had the gloves in the inter squad game instead.

So if Buttler fails to impress in rest of series I'd be surprised if he isn't replaced by Foakes. As you have to think they will have one eye on India as he is the best gloveman and a good player of spin based on Sri Lanka.

Really good post

That’s been my point all along

Bairstow batted 4,5,6,7 in one year

He should never have ever been moved. Messed around

He’s much better than foakes or Buttler like
6 first class tons tell me he isn’t a test player

Bairstow actually is. But he has a technical issue (probably through playing too much one day stuff), and thus his form has been poor. He’s also acted like a bairn, whereas the team should come first

Not sure where this stuff comes from, the team love him, guess some people don’t like outsiders

The bit about his keeping is so disrespectful

Just stand back and think why wicket keeping might be so important to him????

Any ideas about a life changing event??

Last edited:
Really good post

That’s been my point all along

Bairstow batted 4,5,6,7 in one year

He should never have ever been moved. Messed around

He’s much better than foakes or Buttler like

Not sure where this stuff comes from, the team love him, guess some people don’t like outsiders

The bit about his keeping is so disrespectful

Just stand back and think why wicket keeping might be so important to him????

Gonna admit your mistake earlier?

At the end of the day buttler has been in shit form for long enough
Shit form or just not good enough ?

It’s alright blasting it around in a T20 game, there’s a different kind of examination during a Test Match.
[QUOTE="The Rat, post: 32001501, member: Just stand back and think why wicket keeping might be so important to him????

[/QUOTE]Just stand back and think why wicket keeping might be so important to him????

[/QUOTE]

Bairstow’s problem is the common perception that he has technical flaws and an apparent unwillingness to iron them out.

A Test team is picked on merit and sentiment surrounding his particular tragic circumstances can’t really be a consideration

Last edited:
I like Bishop but can see where you're coming from re: style.

For UK viewers we mainly hear and see him doing limited overs and especially T20s. I associate his voice with crash bang wallop cricket so hearing him to do tests is a little weird.
I think he’s even worse on the T20 and one day stuff, far too excited, too verbose and thinks everything he says is the most profound thing ever. I’ve probably got him wrong like, I didn’t mind him as a player albeit he wasn’t in the same league as some of the great WI bowlers of the time, but that’s just how he comes across to me on comms.

When Buttler came back into the test side in 2018 we were told he was to be the flashing blade at no.7. Since then he;s attempted to play "properly" and it has exposed the fact that his technique isn't up to Test Cricket

For the remainder of this series I'd like to see him come in and play his natural white ball game (like he did on debut in 2014

He might as well, because scratching around for 9 or 10 runs isn't getting him anywhere

When Buttler came back into the test side in 2018 we were told he was to be the flashing blade at no.7. Since then he;s attempted to play "properly" and it has exposed the fact that his technique isn't up to Test Cricket

For the remainder of this series I'd like to see him come in and play his natural white ball game (like he did on debut in 2014

He might as well, because scratching around for 9 or 10 runs isn't getting him anywhere
1 first class ton mate. 1. Said no one ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back