Everest Ant Middleton

Not sure he came across like that at all, when it’s life or death, things need to be said, and if there’s any weak link on that mountain it could cost lives, he needed to be told...the fact he couldn’t get up a simple glacier should’ve been setting off alarm bells for everyone.

Easy to be jealous of success.
We didn't find out how far the bloke was planning on going, he could have been going to one of the camps just to say he'd been to everest, might have saved for a once in a lifetime trip to experience everest then some self-righteous tit tells him he shouldn't be there just because he's got less ability and is holding him up a bit.
Comes across as the type of bloke who tears along the road works then expects someone to let him in when he runs out of road.

We didn't find out how far the bloke was planning on going, he could have been going to one of the camps just to say he'd been to everest, might have saved for a once in a lifetime trip to experience everest then some self-righteous tit tells him he shouldn't be there just because he's got less ability and is holding him up a bit.
Comes across as the type of bloke who tears along the road works then expects someone to let him in when he runs out of road.
Exactly pissed me right off the bloke may have just needed an extra few hours or days to acclimatise, could have been very experienced an been having a tough day.
He was a novice himself an had no right to let his mouth go.
Also put himself an possibly his party in real danger just so he could be last at the Top.
The bloke he passed on the way down who died could easily have been a team mate or guild waiting for him an his ego to catch up.
He’s no team player he’s all for himself at everyone else’s expense

Exactly pissed me right off the bloke may have just needed an extra few hours or days to acclimatise, could have been very experienced an been having a tough day.
Also put himself an possibly his party in real danger just so he could be last at the Top.
The bloke he passed on the way down who died could easily have been a team mate or guild waiting for him an his ego to catch up.

Don't think you get in the SAS if you're not a team player.

I don't recall his guide commenting on camera?

From what I recall, Ants comments were along the lines of lets crack on and don't think about it, no snow has ever stopped me doing anything.
His guide said something along the lines of the weather was bad where they were but they’d get above it shortly if they pushed on

I'm reliably informed he wasn't in the SAS.

SBS isn't quite as snappy as a title lead for a TV show though.

You are correctly informed. However reg lads from H and SB lads from Poole go through exactly the same selection and need to be equally a team player and very, very f***ing good.

After selection, SB do lots of swimmer canoeing training to do waterborne assaults. H lads do more land and air based. Both equally highly trained and certainly not individuals rather than team players. The bloke in front of him wasn’t his team.

Hours or days? The bloke was hanging by a rope totally clueless flapping about and had to get dragged up. Admittedly I’m no climbing expert, but he looked well out of his depth.

You are correctly informed. However reg lads from H and SB lads from Poole go through exactly the same selection and need to be equally a team player and very, very f***ing good.

After selection, SB do lots of swimmer canoeing training to do waterborne assaults. H lads do more land and air based. Both equally highly trained and certainly not individuals rather than team players. The bloke in front of him wasn’t his team.
He’s very capable that was never in question, it appears he made the decision to press on an surely that should have been his Sherpas decision as he had no clue what was up the trail an could have put everyone at risk. Also I said the person could have been a team member waiting for him. He waited so he could be last on the mountain an nearly died an I’m sure he would make a different decision if he had his time again. I felt he came across as arrogant an it was his way or nothing which could have put the team in danger if someone had waited or tried to get back to make sure he was ok

He’s very capable that was never in question, it appears he made the decision to press on an surely that should have been his Sherpas decision as he had no clue what was up the trail an could have put everyone at risk. Also I said the person could have been a team member waiting for him. He waited so he could be last on the mountain an nearly died an I’m sure he would make a different decision if he had his time again. I felt he came across as arrogant an it was his way or nothing which could have put the team in danger if someone had waited or tried to get back to make sure he was ok

Someone in front of him in the Queue did actually pass away. The fact he was last to come down was probably a good thing, as someone else in his position might not have had the state of mind to stay alive. 90% of it is in your mind and someone without his training might have given up.

Always seems mad to me how fit as fuck people really struggle, yet by the same token some 60 year old propane baron can get his saggy arse up and down it in one piece

Had me thinking whether people have ever thought about building a cable car to the top.

Untapped tourist place for the people not into mountain climbing. I’d certainly want to go to the top

Not sure he came across like that at all, when it’s life or death, things need to be said, and if there’s any weak link on that mountain it could cost lives, he needed to be told...the fact he couldn’t get up a simple glacier should’ve been setting off alarm bells for everyone.

Easy to be jealous of success.
His book is an excellent read.

This.

However some people on here will says he's making it up
Exactly, his arrogance has been trained into him. He’s just a normal bloke that has been conditioned during his SBS career
His Sherpa definitely didn’t try to put him off continuing up the mountain
He said the weather would be better higher up.
That commercial expedition coming back down would have been made up of middle age crisis wallahs with nowhere near the fitness of Ant & Ed
I was a little annoyed at him for hanging about on the summit too long, bit stupid really and I think he more or less agreed

Ben Fogle reached the summit back in the spring. I think Victoria Pendleton was in the team but she had to turn back from camp 4. Anyone know if that was filmed for TV? I like Fogle seems like a canny fella. Watched that Everest movie recently, that's a great film if anyone's not seen it.

Ben Fogle reached the summit back in the spring. I think Victoria Pendleton was in the team but she had to turn back from camp 4. Anyone know if that was filmed for TV? I like Fogle seems like a canny fella. Watched that Everest movie recently, that's a great film if anyone's not seen it.
It was filmed as I remember watching it, can't remember which channel it was on but it was terrestrial as I only have freeview.

Back