Everest Ant Middleton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decent watch thanks for the heads up, the bloke seems like a bit of a twat imo.

A few things just reading more about it online;
the sun claims he reaches the summit around 21 or 22 may, which appears to be fine conditions with light winds according to link below
hillary step is now much easier to pass without the big bottleneck according to link below
Said on doc that he there was 15 people ahead of him and in daily mail interview 10.
Doc said it was 15 hrs bewteen camp 4, sun interview says he was up there 21.

Everest 2018: Season Summary – Record Weather, Record Summits

Everest isn't a picnic,i did the base-camp but the actual peak is a lifetaker,loads of firms offering guided climbs nowadays though,the nep ones are cheaper than the western guided ones,but the pressure is on to get as many clients as possible to summit so you get better feedback than your competitors,i was looking into some reputable ones,price was £40k or thereabouts,some of the nep firms doing the basecamp have shoddy business practices,not acclimatising clients so they can get a kick-back if a helicopter has to be called if a client develops AMS symptoms.Theres just been a party of 8 climbers including brits found dead on nanda devi in the indian Himalaya.

Everest isn't a picnic,i did the base-camp but the actual peak is a lifetaker,loads of firms offering guided climbs nowadays though,the nep ones are cheaper than the western guided ones,but the pressure is on to get as many clients as possible to summit so you get better feedback than your competitors,i was looking into some reputable ones,price was £40k or thereabouts,some of the nep firms doing the basecamp have shoddy business practices,not acclimatising clients so they can get a kick-back if a helicopter has to be called if a client develops AMS symptoms.Theres just been a party of 8 climbers including brits found dead on nanda devi in the indian Himalaya.
What do you get for £40k ? Is there a link? That sounds an awful lot of money.

Big debate this year about handing out too many permits..
$11,000 just for the permit,Nep government are handing them out willy-nilly,its all cash for a country that's in a very shit state,the capital Kathmandu looks like how I would imagine the east-end of London looked after the blitz,and its not because of the earthquake,its just they don't have cash.

$11,000 just for the permit,Nep government are handing them out willy-nilly,its all cash for a country that's in a very shit state,the capital Kathmandu looks like how I would imagine the east-end of London looked after the blitz,and its not because of the earthquake,its just they don't have cash.

Aye, dont blame them for taking as much as they can.

Find it a tad uncomfortable that almost anyone can rock up who's got the cash and make a summit attempt.

The bottlenecks this year looked ridiculous.

Find it a tad uncomfortable that almost anyone can rock up who's got the cash and make a summit attempt.
Cash is king,the Nepal government see Everest as a cash-cow,if westerners are willing to pay beaucoup dollars to summit they will snatch the cash,more climbing companies are jumping on the bandwagon,so much competition if a complete novice rocks up with a handful of readies and a yearning to summit someones going to take them up,the Sherpas get $500 tip for getting a client to summit,the average yearly wage in Nepal is $182.46 which puts the pressure to have a successful climb into perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back