English Fans singing no surrender

Welcome to the 21st century. Where every terrorist is a freedom fighter, religion does no wrong, the patriarchy controls what time you go for a shit and your mams also your dad

I think it's referencing no surrender to the IRA. I'm just wondering what's wrong with saying no surrender to a terrorist organisation

I've known England fans who have used it to reference all sorts of things. Mainly the IRA yes, some have now taken it to mean no surrender to Islamic extremists, others say they think of the Falklands when they sing it. You can certainly argue whether there is any "need" to add it into the anthem but for many it isn't just referring to the IRA and therefore is still relevant as a general statement that "we" won't surrender to anyone. Hell, some even say that they sing it but just mean that the England football team shouldn't surrender to any other side, they can't prove that it is political or who it refers to, FIFA can piss off

I've known England fans who have used it to reference all sorts of things. Mainly the IRA yes, some have now taken it to mean no surrender to Islamic extremists, others say they think of the Falklands when they sing it. You can certainly argue whether there is any "need" to add it into the anthem but for many it isn't just referring to the IRA and therefore is still relevant as a general statement that "we" won't surrender to anyone. Hell, some even say that they sing it but just mean that the England football team shouldn't surrender to any other side, they can't prove that it is political or who it refers to, FIFA can piss off
I've never considered this angle before, but it's a very good point, so Fifa can't really prove a thing and it's open to interpretation. Problem solved

They still seem pretty active to me:

Real Irish Republican Army - Wikipedia

But no one is singing No Surrender to the Real IRA

What are you on about? It's clearly a function of things? How do you know all this?

The IRA were a terrorist organisation then. Doesn't matter, still horrible bastards

So past history of the actions of the Irish republican movement remains relevant. But the past history of the far right in relation to football disorder isn't relevant any more?

Fifa are investigating it once again. I heard them sing it so it won't surprise me if Fifa have already found them guilty.

What I'm wondering is why is it any of fifas business... I know they don't like anything political but no mainstream political parties or countries have official ties to the IRA anymore. So does it really matter if they sing an anti terrorist song?

FIFA's business is to stop fans making discriminatory chants or waving banners, it's part of the ongoing attempts to keep racism and homophobia out of football.

From the reports and official statement, the media are making an assumption the no surrender chants are among those being considered. So it seems the British press has decided the chant is discriminatory, we'll have to wait and see if FIFA agree.

Exactly! in the lyrics of God Save the Queen:
'Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks'

and

'And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.'

Surely that's political?

First two lines are in GSTQ but never sang at FIFA events.

Second two lines are no more in the British national anthem than Deutschland Deutschland Uber alles is in the German anthem.

Homework needed!

But no one is singing No Surrender to the Real IRA

So past history of the actions of the Irish republican movement remains relevant. But the past history of the far right in relation to football disorder isn't relevant any more?
And no one is singing No Surrender to the Provisional IRA either. :rolleyes:

But thanks for not clicking on my link. If you had, you'd have read that the Real IRA have changed their name after merging with other fuckwits, they're now the New IRA ...

how is "No surrender to the IRA" about the Falklands or Isis?

English players Dele Alli, Eric Dier and Raheem Sterling have been fined £50,000 each by FIFA for wearing non-slip Trusox over their official socks.

I think the issue was that they were ALL coincidentally wearing NIke branded ones, no doubt with an incentive to do so, wonder if it was more than £50,000?

how is "No surrender to the IRA" about the Falklands or Isis?

Fuck sake man, I asked what chant it was about and the lad replied saying it is the adding of "no surrender" in the anthem before "send her victorious". No mention is made of the IRA during the anthem, literally all anyone says is "no surrender". Had he said it was the keep st George in my heart song (with "no surrender to the IRA scum" as a line) or had they all been singing simply the best with the "fuck the pope and the IRA" part in it would obviously be referring to the IRA. The no surrender in the anthem is taken to mean different things by different people. If that's the "chant" fifa are looking into it isn't explicitly about the IRA

Back