Ellis Short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built on sand agreed but we had 10 years in the Premier, with hindsight none of us would have wanted it to end this way but at least we had 10 years so, would u rather we had not been in the Premier for 10 years and been scratching around in div 2 or 3 in that time. Stupid question really but as Chrissy would say ‘its is what it is’
Virtually all those ten years were seasons of fighting relegation and rare wins. We reached a point where we needed to go down to rebuild. Our last four or five seasons were awful.

Last edited:
I agree. It was a chance for new owners to put long term plans in place....ie good coaching, good scouting, strong academy. The problem we have is these guys wanted to flip it and make a quick £10million.

They have put nothing in place for long term success as they expected to leave after 1 year.
I think you are right but it was more like £40 m to £50 m profit if we were in Championship he wanted circa £60m plus

Virtually all those ten years were seasons of fighting relegation and rare wins. We reached a point where we needed to go down to rebuild. Our last four or five seasons were awful.

agree but the going down has not helped 1 iota, in fact there were so many that couldnt wait to visit new grounds etc, that soon wore off...now we are in a footballing backwater again and we need a miracle

He gave up on us halfway through
This...Some people seem to have forgotten that when we dropped into the championship he totally washed his hands of us completely, He is to blame for the club being in this shit league and the total mess the club found itself in. We are still paying the price for his ridiculous decisions and will do so for years to come..And some people on here still think it was a golden era for the club :oops:

Nah the foundations were already fucked. He took us over with tens of millions of debt ran up by Drumaville with no structure or good practices in place. He then allowed Quinn to continue in a similar vein up to the point where £100m of debt had been run up. Then he started to intervene - and things continued to fail. He didn't fuck up a successful club. He did add to a problem that was gonna see us go only one way, though. His money kept the wolf from the door - but our eventual relegation was inevitable even if Drumaville had stayed in place.
Well put mate I bet short rues the day he met niall quinn and his cowboys took him for a small fortune

If there's any lesson to come out of that era its the club needs to appoint decent executives who make the right decisions for the club

Being in the top flight should be the minimum a club like Sunderland should enjoy. I think you set your expectations way too low.
A club like Sunderland?
We’ve barely been at the top table of English football for more than 60 years. What the last 10 or so years has proved is that we are incapable of self-funding a top-flight side; sad but true.

A club like Sunderland?
We’ve barely been at the top table of English football for more than 60 years. What the last 10 or so years has proved is that we are incapable of self-funding a top-flight side; sad but true.
There's not many in this country who can, if you took away the premier league mega money how many clubs could prosper in the top flight ?

A club like Sunderland?
So 29 seasons out of 60 at the top table.
Just a shade under 50%
Like I said, you set your expectations way too low.

So 29 seasons out of 60 at the top table.
Just a shade under 50%
Like I said, you set your expectations way too low.
And for about 26 of those seasons were were battling against relegation.
I genuinely think we are at best a regular championship club. There are too many factors going against Sunderland these day.

He did - but he didn't attract great players to the club. We always struggled with loans or has beens.

However, to his defence, it will always be difficult attracting players to the northeast. Newcastle has had this problem too.

They didn't in the early to mid 90s

He fucked the club financially but he also fucked himself spectacularly

Hard to know what to think about him, apart from being a terrible judge of person

And for about 26 of those seasons were were battling against relegation.
I genuinely think we are at best a regular championship club. There are too many factors going against Sunderland these day.
Absolute rubbish. Just needs a bit of professionalism from the top down and a consistent philosophy on youth, recruitment and playing style - something we've never had despite spending half of the last 6 decades in the top flight.
We've achieved this despite playing 'against ourselves' for much of that time with inept appointments in many of the key positions within the structure of the club.
I don't share your pessimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back