Ellis Short

Escaping a lot of criticism in this shit show.
Left us years and years away from the top league. Sold us to amateurs. But he cleaned up his own mess financially so all good eh.
Spunked a lot of money during the 10 year premier league stint and backed a lot of managers and got no where, not saying his decision making was the best however I'd of been fed up as well

Difference is all of his bad decisions he made had good intentions for the club. He got so much wrong and consistently trusted the wrong people including the people who ended up convincing him they were the best option to sell to. At least he tried over and over again to right his wrongs to the tune of hundreds of millions of his own money.

Contrast that to this set of owners who actively make decisions that are to the clubs detriment. Negotiating a deal to purchase the club that leaves debt behind that the club will need to pay so the asking price is less up front. Flogging off academy prospects on the cheap to get quick cash etc.

Short chose them though and that was his final mistake (admittedly we don’t know if the other options would have been any better) again trusting the wrong people. At least he did his best again to give them a blank canvas.

Escaping a lot of criticism in this shit show.
Left us years and years away from the top league. Sold us to amateurs. But he cleaned up his own mess financially so all good eh.

Totally, he's probably a 'canny bloke' as well.

Seriously, this catastrophe is very largely down to him and his shambolic approach to Safc. The amateur hour imbeciles we have now thought they'd got lucky.

I have just one wish - for all the happy clappers to reconnect with their critical faculties and not give a minute's peace or credit to Donald, Methven or their latest patsy/job for the boy Rodwell. On that last, he can keep his Talksport patter - that was just him currying favour with the fans , in the full knowledge that the decision was made.

A fresh start in the wilderness with massively reduced income and outstanding legacy bills. This is not a defence of the current lot but a reflection on how bad Short fucked us.
Had they financed the deal themselves (rather than with the club's money) as they originally claimed they had, we'd have had more than enough in reserve to deal with any legacy payments and mount a structured campaign to get out of this division at the first attempt.

And perhaps if their due diligence work was better there would've been far fewer legacy surprises for them to deal with.

Had they financed the deal themselves (rather than with the club's money) as they originally claimed they had, we'd have had more than enough in reserve to deal with any legacy payments and mount a structured campaign to get out of this division at the first attempt.

And perhaps if their due diligence work was better there would've been far fewer legacy surprises for them to deal with.
Correct

I think the only thing you can really blame him for is the championship relegation year where he clearly didn't give a toss. I can only imagine that he was fed up, frustrated and wanted nothing more to do with the club anymore but he let any governance at all completely slide (which costed him far more in the end).
Employing Moyes and not sacking him in September was his downfall.

Ellis Short was/is a decent bloke. He trusted the club’s future to some terrible executives who wastes his and the club’s money .
In that way he is culpable but I bet he’s as pissed off as anyone he employed the people he did
I’m sick to death of decent blokes ruining the club. I want horrible, hard headed types that’ll sell their own mother for the betterment of the club they’re running, see Daniel Levy as a point of reference.

Short had the finances and willingness for Sunderland to succeed and put absolute fortunes into the club. His failure was recruiting badly in key positions which in turn meant poor recruitment and poor day to day decision making throughout which is why we failed as a club. He deserves criticism for that and gets plenty I think. He also chose to sell to Donald and Methven who don't have a pot to piss in and also make terrible recruitment choices and day to to day decision making.

The current owners are the worst of both worlds, shit decision makers and nee money.

Understand that and we all wanted that but u have replied like Boris would by totally avoiding the question
anybody knowledgeable wouldn't have taken us into Div 2 or 3 or wasted money on transfers the way he did.
So I don't think the Div 2 or 3 question needed answering--if You think it did we may as well have just stayed with Short and cut out the "middle man" Donald

Financed us well BUT hamstrung us by not delivering a blueprint that could be carried forward when he left.

The biggest thing he could have done for SAFC was to build a management team who understood how to deliver success, we look for years like amateurs, spurning every opportunity to succeed, never learning from mistakes, and accepting failure while selling it as success to fans.

Shite. Short term vote winning shte.

At least the current mob are following a well trodden path.
This for me is his biggest crime.
No effective scouting and recruitment policy because there was no consistent playing philosophy leading to a legacy of decline.
Compare this with Southampton, Liebherr and Cortese. This is how it could and should have been done under Short.
I would have swapped ALL of that decade in the top flight to build a club with a sustainable future. Look at what we have become.

anybody knowledgeable wouldn't have taken us into Div 2 or 3 or wasted money on transfers the way he did.
So I don't think the Div 2 or 3 question needed answering--if You think it did we may as well have just stayed with Short and cut out the "middle man" Donald

Are you in politics?

Back