Drones

You spent about £2k on the equipment and you don’t use it because people report them? Costs £9 a year for a licence and as long as you fly it within the boundaries set by the CAA and do it safely there’s nothing anyone can do. Seems like a waste
It was a waste but still love it. More to do with time to use it than anything else. I tend to use it in garden ...send it straight upto 120m and then out over the town for a bit of a nosy.
Is that illegal and is a license compulsory ?

It was a waste but still love it. More to do with time to use it than anything else. I tend to use it in garden ...send it straight upto 120m and then out over the town for a bit of a nosy.
You're not allowed to go over 120m and worth reading up on keeping it in sight

It is now compulsory to register drone and get a flyer iD. Plus the drone must be marked with your iD. You also need to pass a 20min multiple choice safety test to obtsim

You can’t fly directly over a built up area no.

Any drone owners on here? I’m a videographer and currently a bit Donald Ducked due to this virus so have just bought a Mavic Air 2 which is on its way from Chyy-na as we speak. Hoping to make some money with some “very” remote videos. Got a couple of jobs with property developers lined up and wracking my brain to think of some other industry’s that may be interested.

A guy I do some work with makes insane money doing inspections on certain towers on petro-chem sites. Saves them sending a rope access guy up there.

The whole court of office blocks where I have my office was surveyed a few months back when they changed hands to a new landlord. They had guys in cherry pickers above the buildings checking the roofing, must be a market for doing that sort of thing by drone

A guy I do some work with makes insane money doing inspections on certain towers on petro-chem sites. Saves them sending a rope access guy up there.

The whole court of office blocks where I have my office was surveyed a few months back when they changed hands to a new landlord. They had guys in cherry pickers above the buildings checking the roofing, must be a market for doing that sort of thing by drone
This

Roof surveys
Cooling tower surveys
Can it do thermal imaging? if so energy / heating surveys

Any drone owners on here? I’m a videographer and currently a bit Donald Ducked due to this virus so have just bought a Mavic Air 2 which is on its way from Chyy-na as we speak. Hoping to make some money with some “very” remote videos. Got a couple of jobs with property developers lined up and wracking my brain to think of some other industry’s that may be interested.
Owned a dji mavic air for a couple of months, but sold it as didnt realy have the time to fly. Unreal bit of kit mind, they more or less fly by themselves. take the dji care out would be my advice.

What’s a good one to look at for flying in windy conditions? Thinking of getting one for some beach stuff out in Brittany, but it’s windy 9 days out of 10 over there. Obviously would skip daft winds but there’s often a fresh breeze even in summer.

What’s a good one to look at for flying in windy conditions? Thinking of getting one for some beach stuff out in Brittany, but it’s windy 9 days out of 10 over there. Obviously would skip daft winds but there’s often a fresh breeze even in summer.
Most commercial drones should be okay for anything up to 30mph. They fly in own airstream so unless it’s storm winds it should be okay. It will effect speed and battery life I think though.
Owned a dji mavic air for a couple of months, but sold it as didnt realy have the time to fly. Unreal bit of kit mind, they more or less fly by themselves. take the dji care out would be my advice.
Yeah took that out. However if it goes down in the sea I’m fucked unless the flight log records an issue

Most commercial drones should be okay for anything up to 30mph. They fly in own airstream so unless it’s storm winds it should be okay. It will effect speed and battery life I think though.

Yeah took that out. However if it goes down in the sea I’m fucked unless the flight log records an issue
seriously great fun mate if you have the time. would love another one after reading this thread. :lol:

keep us posted when it comes, me and @sima-hebburn had one around the same time couple of years back, he may still have his.

heres the thread

seriously great fun mate if you have the time. would love another one after reading this thread. :lol:

keep us posted when it comes, me and @sima-hebburn had one around the same time couple of years back, he may still have his.

heres the thread

this one too, a good read.

Last edited:

There is. The infrared cameras cost a fortune and only fit on certain drones that can carry them (if you need infrared)

There's aerial mapping as well for agricultural sites and planning.

Last edited:

this one to.

Last edited:
It is now compulsory to register drone and get a flyer iD. Plus the drone must be marked with your iD. You also need to pass a 20min multiple choice safety test to obtsim

You can’t fly directly over a built up area no.
Crikey thats alot of stuff to read up on for just having a mooch about. So basically I can't use the drone from my back garden as it needs to fly about 50m before open countryside.

Keep it in direct sight,,, that wont happen in practice.
Yeah that’s the one that gets me. It’s the size of a dinner plate. Have to remember to program the height before descent when using RTH.

It’s being delivered today so will hopefully get a go this afternoon. Will report back

Yeah that’s the one that gets me. It’s the size of a dinner plate. Have to remember to program the height before descent when using RTH.

It’s being delivered today so will hopefully get a go this afternoon. Will report back

which one are you getting?

Im excited for you mate.🤣

f***ing great bit of kit. I want another one now. 😭

Should go for a couple of mile if your brave enough. Some excellent range tests on YouTube if you get a chance.

Last edited:

Back