Did Christiano Ronaldo need to win a world cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, he couldn't have done anymore so if anyone is excused because of their nationality it's him. They won the euro's though and for a country that size its a massive achievement, especially when it was that very man Ronaldo who single-handedly destroyed Spain in the semi's? Messi, being an Argy, would almost be expected to have helped them win it but came close in 2014.
Messi is brilliant to watch, like an on-fire McGeady (who can also do the tricks) but Ronaldo is the best in the world when it come to being a role model - and he has no crap sleeve tats like Messi.
A role model who has been credibly accused of rape.

I saw a clip of him playing the other day..... The defenders he was up against were absolutely garbage and that is.probably a compliment

They could hardly walk never mind run
Pele is the most overrated footballer ever.

Last edited:

He’a a superb player but he’s not the best player in the world currently so can’t be the best of all time.

I’m not 100% sure he’s be in the top 3 in my lifetime. Certainly behind Messi and Maradona and arguably behind Zidane. At his peak I think Brazilian Ronaldo was also better although that was a brief period.
That's just silly

Both outstanding players but the fact that Ronaldo has been constantly top of his game and not been scared to prove himself by moving league's just shades it.

Can't blame Messi for wanting to stay in his Barca bubble but that lack of drive to prove himself elsewhere is a big negative for me. (Only my opinion like).

Big gamble moving to Madrid and then Juventus aye

I also think Ronaldo is the more complete player. He has done it everywhere he has gone, winning tournaments everywhere he plays, adapting to different teams, leagues and playing philosophies.

Messi is brilliant, but he also has an entire team built around him and was lucky enough to play with an incredible one-off system that got the absolute dominant best out of him. He benefits from understandings built up over years in the Barcelona system.

We probably will never see how Messi could adapt to Italian defensive systems, English pace and power etc. What we can see is in the National system of Argentina he gets very good results but not that great. Ronaldo is the second highest goalscorer of all time at international level and has won two tournaments. Messi has won none and has a 1 in 2 record, not the 2 in 3 record of Batistuta, not even yet as many international goals as Stern John, and it is very likely he will be outscored at international level by Neymar and very possibly Lewandowski as well. If he doesn't win this summer's Copa America, it is likely he will retire only having won a World u20s tournament.

And before anyone says team, look at the Portuguese team that won the Euros in 2016. It wasn't exactly stellar was it?

I have seen Messi play live several times, always for Argentina. He has not once been the most effective player on the pitch. The only goal I saw him score was a penalty. I saw him kept completely quiet one match by a 35-year-old Paola da Silva.

If you only watch Messi play for Barcelona you might think he is the best player of his generation. You watch him play in an ordinary system and he isn't that impressive. While, Ronaldo, he always look bloody dangerous every time I see him play, any league, any where.
You say messi has the team built around him but ronaldo adapts to footballing philosophies :lol:

Why do people talk absolute shite man

You say messi has the team built around him but ronaldo adapts to footballing philosophies :lol:

Why do people talk absolute shite man
:D Mad isn't it?
You've got a player like Ronaldo, you don't tailor your team to get the best out of him whatsoever. He either fits in or fucks off.
Messi though you bend to his every whim.

:D Mad isn't it?
You've got a player like Ronaldo, you don't tailor your team to get the best out of him whatsoever. He either fits in or fucks off.
Messi though you bend to his every whim.
Every team ronaldo has ever played in has adapted to his game. Real madrids tactics were purely built around putting chances on a plate for him. I dont know what some people watch or if they even watch at all :lol:

Every team ronaldo has ever played in has adapted to his game. Real madrids tactics were purely built around putting chances on a plate for him. I dont know what some people watch or if they even watch at all :lol:

Most (unless there's a rift between the gaffer and the player) teams try to get the best out of their best player.
That's obvious.

He’s semi retired in that league pal, he only needs to turn up and put effort in 8 times a season, over here it’s far harder. In that Barca side he can play for 20 minutes kill the game off, then walk about basically warming down for the rest of the game, over here the way he plays he’d need resting a lot because he won’t get away with doing it in games like he does in that league.
He would struggle in the English game, just like Zola, Bergkamp and David Silva have struggled.

He usually struggles against English teams in the champions league as well
Like his double against Liverpool! Without Messi that Barcelona team is the worst they have had since the Rijkaard days.

Flexible.
With his head ability and his flexibility, he is in big demand among coaches looking for a man who can really stretch it the back and ensure a successful climax.

Last edited:
He’s absolutely quality in champions league because he’s been resting during league games. He wouldn’t get that in England he’d need resting then his goal output would inevitably reduce.

I also think Ronaldo is the more complete player. He has done it everywhere he has gone, winning tournaments everywhere he plays, adapting to different teams, leagues and playing philosophies.

Messi is brilliant, but he also has an entire team built around him and was lucky enough to play with an incredible one-off system that got the absolute dominant best out of him. He benefits from understandings built up over years in the Barcelona system.

We probably will never see how Messi could adapt to Italian defensive systems, English pace and power etc. What we can see is in the National system of Argentina he gets very good results but not that great. Ronaldo is the second highest goalscorer of all time at international level and has won two tournaments. Messi has won none and has a 1 in 2 record, not the 2 in 3 record of Batistuta, not even yet as many international goals as Stern John, and it is very likely he will be outscored at international level by Neymar and very possibly Lewandowski as well. If he doesn't win this summer's Copa America, it is likely he will retire only having won a World u20s tournament.

And before anyone says team, look at the Portuguese team that won the Euros in 2016. It wasn't exactly stellar was it?

I have seen Messi play live several times, always for Argentina. He has not once been the most effective player on the pitch. The only goal I saw him score was a penalty. I saw him kept completely quiet one match by a 35-year-old Paola da Silva.

If you only watch Messi play for Barcelona you might think he is the best player of his generation. You watch him play in an ordinary system and he isn't that impressive. While, Ronaldo, he always look bloody dangerous every time I see him play, any league, any where.
You have to ask why arguably the best club side of all time, certainly the best I have seen, was built around him. It is hardly like he has failed to deliver for them, is it? Indeed they got rid of Ibra as he did not gel with him, despite the fact he is arguably a better player than Ronaldo as well (not as successful as Ronaldo, which is a different thing.)

He could still win one. Portugal, despite not looking overly dynamic now have two European trophies.
Tinpot Nations League doesn’t count!

You have to ask why arguably the best club side of all time, certainly the best I have seen, was built around him. It is hardly like he has failed to deliver for them, is it? Indeed they got rid of Ibra as he did not gel with him, despite the fact he is arguably a better player than Ronaldo as well (not as successful as Ronaldo, which is a different thing.)

Tinpot Nations League doesn’t count!

It looked like it counted to the Dutch who were gutted.
You can only win what you enter and they've won 2 of the last 3 they've competed in. I certainly wouldn't discount them from anything.

Big gamble moving to Madrid and then Juventus aye

People seem to think his move to Juventus was a new 'challenge' for him.:lol::lol: If he wanted a challenge he'd have gone back to the Premier League.

It looked like it counted to the Dutch who were gutted.
You can only win what you enter and they've won 2 of the last 3 they've competed in. I certainly wouldn't discount them from anything.

We were gutted (or atleast I was) to lose the CT final. Just because the dutch were gutted doesn't mean it is a big competition. Tinpot trophy.

Last edited:
At least he's moved around mate and his standard of playing has never dropped when he has.

Can't fault him for trying out new challenges.
When did players being loyal become a stick to beat them with?

Our fans cried like kids when maja left :lol::lol:

Messi has been at barca since he was 8.

Ronaldo was hardly going to stay at sporting his whole career was he

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back