Did Christiano Ronaldo need to win a world cup?

Ronaldo has moved around and done it everywhere he's been.

Messi has stayed in his comfort zone of being at the best club in the world.

I doubt I'll see many better players than them two come thru in the rest of my lifetime but if I had to pick one, then I'd pick Ronaldo.
A real challenge doing it at the biggest and richest clubs in Spain, England and Italy mind :rolleyes:

Juventus won the domestic double the previous four seasons, Ronaldo comes in scores less than a 36 year old in a team that finished 9th, Juve win less than the previous four seasons but the narrative is ‘Ronaldo conquers Italy’

:confused::confused:

By watching him play, when things arent going his way he will sulk instead of grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and making things go his way. That's why hes no where near the level he is with barca when playing for Argentina, hes usually sulking

I think messi is the second best player of all time. Ronaldo is first
Messi is far more involved in nigh on every game than Ronaldo is like, look at the heat maps! Ronaldo hangs around the box waiting for service if things are going wrong (not a criticism, it’s what he’s good at). Messi has to drop deep and provide the service for himself. Look at the 2nd leg v Liverpool man, everyone says he went missing yet fail to mention he created 3 one on ones for teammates ffs. Anyone of them score and Barca go through

To people who prefer Messi. Is there anything Ronaldo could do to surpass him? If he won another champions league and European Championships before he retired?
No. It’s not about winning this or that it’s about the god given talent Messi has

All these records Ronaldo, Messi is three years younger and could easily pass them

More complete as a goalscorer possibly, but Messi is more magical/mesmerizing to watch. That's the difference. Ronaldo is a machine and he's worked hard to get himself there but some of the things Messi pulls off pretty much every week are just unbelievable.

Both unreal players. Both deserve to be discussed as the greatest ever.... but as always it's down to personal tastes/preferences/generation etc. etc.
This Ronaldo is physically a beast. He’s 6’1” built like a lasses wet dream but to only be on a par with Messi who is just natural talent.
Ronaldo puts maximum effort in and is an outstanding football player but Messi it’s just nature to him he glides around the pitch so effortlessly.

The goal argument.

Ronaldo it’s all about him he goes in a strop if someone scores when he could scored the goal.

Messi is on a hattrick and has given penalties to his team mates

Messi is far more involved in nigh on every game than Ronaldo is like, look at the heat maps! Ronaldo hangs around the box waiting for service if things are going wrong (not a criticism, it’s what he’s good at). Messi has to drop deep and provide the service for himself. Look at the 2nd leg v Liverpool man, everyone says he went missing yet fail to mention he created 3 one on ones for teammates ffs. Anyone of them score and Barca go through
They miss stuff like that because they watch the Sky News highlights only and see Ronaldo in his free kick pose loving the camera time ;)

This Ronaldo is physically a beast. He’s 6’1” built like a lasses wet dream but to only be on a par with Messi who is just natural talent.
Ronaldo puts maximum effort in and is an outstanding football player but Messi it’s just nature to him he glides around the pitch so effortlessly.

The goal argument.

Ronaldo it’s all about him he goes in a strop if someone scores when he could scored the goal.

Messi is on a hattrick and has given penalties to his team mates
Aye there's no denying Ronaldo is one of the greatest to do what he did to get where he is. The effort he puts in outside the game makes some of our players look like their training to 1910's level and not 2010 :lol: That documentary about him was canny anarl.

Ronaldo has moved around and done it everywhere he's been.

Messi has stayed in his comfort zone of being at the best club in the world.

I doubt I'll see many better players than them two come thru in the rest of my lifetime but if I had to pick one, then I'd pick Ronaldo.
I just have to laugh at this now, sorry :lol: Juventus had won the league the last 7 seasons and the Man Utd wasn't exactly shite from 2005 onwards now was it? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronaldo - something like 53 career hat tricks. Ridiculous statistic. Best by a mile for me
Is that because he recently scored a hattrick against Switzerland? Give him his dues in that game for the hattrick but look at some of the scores in his La Liga hattricks (can't be arsed with rest), orange is away games and 4 or 5 in team name is Ronaldo scoring more than 3.

I'm not so clued up as to which teams are constant cannon fodder in La Liga but I can't see Barcelona in there. Also played more seasons than Messi so I think best by a mile is a bit too much ;)

Logon or register to see this image

https://michelacosta.com/en/messi-vs-ronaldo/

I'd go for these statistics myself ;)

Messi has 2 hattricks in La Liga against Real Madrid with a 4-3 win and 3-3 draw.

When does it start?

Is it televised anywhere??
This Satda but I think it's on Premier Sports which is a £9.99 subscription on Sky/Virgin. They also have La Liga and Seria A too I think

Copa America 2019 fixtures: Watch 2019 Copa America on TV, live stream, dates, UK time

By watching him play, when things arent going his way he will sulk instead of grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and making things go his way. That's why hes no where near the level he is with barca when playing for Argentina, hes usually sulking

I think messi is the second best player of all time. Ronaldo is first
Is that Ronaldo who doesn't sulk at all yet isn't keen when Bale (and others) steal the limelight?

They miss stuff like that because they watch the Sky News highlights only and see Ronaldo in his free kick pose loving the camera time ;)

Aye there's no denying Ronaldo is one of the greatest to do what he did to get where he is. The effort he puts in outside the game makes some of our players look like their training to 1910's level and not 2010 :lol: That documentary about him was canny anarl.

I just have to laugh at this now, sorry :lol: Juventus had won the league the last 7 seasons and the Man Utd wasn't exactly shite from 2005 onwards now was it? :lol:

I don't watch sky sports highlights so stop being a condescending prick and pull your head out of your arse.

It's about opinions and I don't think anyone is slating either player here. No need to be a bellend about it.

Yeah so you’re agreeing with me then, he’d need resting over here like the players you mentioned, in Spain he plays every game because he can rest during them, which will enhance his chances of scoring goals, over here he’d need to be on the bench to get a rest because the opposition even at the lower end of the league is far stronger.
WARNING - more stats ahead! :lol:

Rests during the game? Give ower man :lol: This short arsed fella appears more than 50 times a season (and has done the last 10 seasons!). Over the last 13 seasons in La Liga as a regular, he's appeared 428 times, started 388 and averaged just under 83 minutes per appearance. It actually works out at nearly 400 full 90 minutes league games he's played in that time.

Argentina - L. Messi - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Soccerway

That's just League anarl as in Champions League he's made 134 appearance (12 as sub) and scored 112 goals. He's averaged 83 mins on the pitch per game and played the equivalent of 122 full 90 min games. He's averaged 10 games per season getting 8 goals over the 14 seasons in the CL.

Domestic Cups he's average 83 minutes a game again with 76 appearances and 59 goals over the last 11 seasons.

For Barcelona, he's averaged 81 minutes per appearance over the years (or 610 full 90 min appearances) and scored a goal every 1.13 appearances or every 91 minutes

Given he been injured for 223 days in total then this will no doubt have meant he missed some games in that time also. These are just quick estimates but still show he's played more than most players would in a career yet still averaging over 80 mins per appearance is phenomenal! From ages 23 to 28 he made 320 appearances, averaged about 85 mins per app with more that a goal a game!

But you're tryin gto say he just walks about and rests, haway man! Some players will already be thinking of retiring at 31 whereas he's still 50 odd games a season :lol: This last season he appeared 50 times for Barcelona and scored 51 times including 12 goals in 10 games in the CL.

He usually struggles against English teams in the champions league as well
As usual, some will say he'd be shite against the top clubs in the Premier League but again this is a plucked from the arse comment. Bearing in mind these were the stronger teams he was playing against at the time given they'd qualified for Champions League this was one link I saw recently.

https://michelacosta.com/en/lionel-messi-and-cristiano-ronaldo-against-english-clubs/

Logon or register to see this image

So Messi has played 34 times against the 'big 6' with 26 goals and 6 assists to Ronaldo's 79 games with 28 goals and 9 assists. So basically Messi does the same thing in half the time regarding goals and assists though a 3rd of Ronaldo's stats have been against Spurs who until recently weren't a 'big' club.

Those are just stone cold stats but unless you watch them play enough, it doesn't show the playmaking side of things which as I've shown statwise that Messi dominates Ronaldo over given their playing positions. Shit like creating a move in midfield also helps win a game, whereas mainly being a goalscorer doesn't necessarily mean they are the game winners, even though Messi has the better goals per game ratio anyway.

Those are impressive stats and you can only imagine what Messi would do to teams at the bottom! In fact, no need to imagine as he's been doing it the last 15 years in Spain :lol: :lol:

I guess some people just say stuff based on what they've seen/read/heard not realising how much this fella plays and contributes. It's not all about goals as his total assists and play making on the pitch over the years is second to none. Most probably just recall seeing Ronaldo a lot more on TV (the poster boy) such as when he's posing for his free kicks ;) (I'm just jesting as it's not really that but Ronaldo does get far more exposure globally plus Messi is a short arsed ugly fucker in comparison)

I don't watch sky sports highlights so stop being a condescending prick and pull your head out of your arse.

It's about opinions and I don't think anyone is slating either player here. No need to be a bellend about it.
Apologies but I'm just taking the piss given Ronaldo does love himself and forgot the white text, that's all. I think Ronaldo is f***ing class and his work ethic for me was 2nd to none and for years I thought he was the better of the 2. However I've seen more of Messi in recent years and watched some of the old stuff so my opinion of who'd I'd have in my team has changed as it's not all about goals (even though Messi has a better goals to game ratio anyway)

Given the info above with Messi against the best of the Premier League, do you honestly think Messi wouldn't have won the Premier League with Man Utd in the late 2000's or Juventus last season?

It's all about opinions. For me Messi is the best because since he was 17 he has continuously played at the highest level and his form hardly ever dropped. Even with Argentina he has kept to a high level. Getting to 3 finals in a row is something of an achievement.

Ronaldo is a brilliant player. Anyone who says he's not is a liar or knows nothing about football.

Back