Did Christiano Ronaldo need to win a world cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I saw a clip of him playing the other day..... The defenders he was up against were absolutely garbage and that is.probably a compliment

They could hardly walk never mind run
It’s f***ing horrific. He claims goals against genuine factory workers as career goals he’s a disgrace

That's because they could not get near him , look up a certain Mr Best and imagine him now

As I said I'm from the era of muddy pitches , I know many say Shackleton was outstanding , can't bring him forward in time can't take Messi or Ronaldo back either

To me Pele is the best

That's because they could not get near him , look up a certain Mr Best and imagine him now

As I said I'm from the era of muddy pitches , I know many say Shackleton was outstanding , can't bring him forward in time can't take Messi or Ronaldo back either

To me Pele is the best

You dont need to listen to shit voice.over but look at the defending in them clips man :lol:

They wouldnt get within ten feet of messi and ronaldo to actually tackle them

Agree to disagree mate.

If I had a choice between the two in my team would be Ronaldo
I'd pick Messi and you'd probably lose ;) In domestic team games (including europe) between the two, Messi has scored more and won more (even more so if you just look at League and Europe). Messi has 10 wins to Ronaldo's 4 in the league and Messi has scored in both his winning games of the 5 Champion's League meetings. The others were 2 draws and a defeat but Ronaldo didn't score in any of the 5 games. Looking at when the goals were scored it seems Messi's goals were more match result influencing than Ronaldo's. This will also be ignoring any contributions during the game apart from goals but as shown earlier it's clear to see that Messi is the better of the 2 on non goal contributions to the games.

Ronaldo–Messi rivalry - Wikipedia

Logon or register to see this image

These 2 highlight videos below of the 2 Argentina v Portugal games that both played in shows a little more why they are different. In the first, Messi scored the winner with a 90th minute penalty. Now look at this game and you see Ronaldo give it away cheaply at 2:35 but watch the next part with a typical Messi dribble and sublime pass for the goal! Ronaldo appears again at 4:10 with a shit cross into the box. Ronaldo's goal is canny, albeit a from a shit header as Almeida is pushed. Ronaldo skies it ower the bar at 7:50. He does have a decent shot in next clip but could he have passed? Now Messi comes into it by playing a class ball wide to Mascarano who eventually wins a penna. Messi takes the penna, scores and wins the game.

In the 2nd you see Messi doing his usual play making and keeping the flow in moves and creating chances but he misses a free kick. Typical greedy Ronaldo appears at just past 4 mins in as there's a player waiting for the clear shot on the edge of the box but Ronaldo goes it alone instead and skies his shot from a tight angle.

Both went off at HT when the score was 0-0 so really Ronaldo is yet to beat Messi in an International game. The injury time goal itself was a bit shit seeing as the Argentinian defender just didn't bother tracking the score but I suppose this was Ronaldo's brilliance and Messi's fault seeing even though both weren't on at all that half! :lol:

It's a no brainer as who to have in the team ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think Ronaldo is the more complete player. He has done it everywhere he has gone, winning tournaments everywhere he plays, adapting to different teams, leagues and playing philosophies.

Messi is brilliant, but he also has an entire team built around him and was lucky enough to play with an incredible one-off system that got the absolute dominant best out of him. He benefits from understandings built up over years in the Barcelona system.

We probably will never see how Messi could adapt to Italian defensive systems, English pace and power etc. What we can see is in the National system of Argentina he gets very good results but not that great. Ronaldo is the second highest goalscorer of all time at international level and has won two tournaments. Messi has won none and has a 1 in 2 record, not the 2 in 3 record of Batistuta, not even yet as many international goals as Stern John, and it is very likely he will be outscored at international level by Neymar and very possibly Lewandowski as well. If he doesn't win this summer's Copa America, it is likely he will retire only having won a World u20s tournament.

And before anyone says team, look at the Portuguese team that won the Euros in 2016. It wasn't exactly stellar was it?

I have seen Messi play live several times, always for Argentina. He has not once been the most effective player on the pitch. The only goal I saw him score was a penalty. I saw him kept completely quiet one match by a 35-year-old Paola da Silva.

If you only watch Messi play for Barcelona you might think he is the best player of his generation. You watch him play in an ordinary system and he isn't that impressive. While, Ronaldo, he always look bloody dangerous every time I see him play, any league, any where.

Last edited:
When I watch Messi I think he's the best, when I watch Ronaldo I think he is. They're both fantastic.
I favour Ronaldo because it almost looks like he battled from the bottom and made it big. Messi seems to have been molded by a big club.

I know neither of these statements are exactly true but I think that’s why I favour Ronaldo

It’s f***ing horrific. He claims goals against genuine factory workers as career goals he’s a disgrace
Didn’t he score like 8 v Juventus ;)

Last edited:
I'd pick Messi and you'd probably lose ;) In domestic team games (including europe) between the two, Messi has scored more and won more (even more so if you just look at League and Europe). Messi has 10 wins to Ronaldo's 4 in the league and Messi has scored in both his winning games of the 5 Champion's League meetings. The others were 2 draws and a defeat but Ronaldo didn't score in any of the 5 games. Looking at when the goals were scored it seems Messi's goals were more match result influencing than Ronaldo's. This will also be ignoring any contributions during the game apart from goals but as shown earlier it's clear to see that Messi is the better of the 2 on non goal contributions to the games.
Going back to this as this also shows the difference in contributions to the game

https://michelacosta.com/en/messi-vs-ronaldo/

Ronaldo has scored more (though has played 145 more games at 962 to 817 Messi) but this is also helped by scoring 27 more penalties. So non penalty goals per game ratio is 1.39 for Messi (or 27 goals in a 38 game season) and 1.66 for Ronaldo (or 23 goals a 38 game season). This is also ignoring assists which Messi beats Ronaldo in (and not just by falling ower in the box to win a penna).

When they're both on the pitch and it's clear to see there's a bug difference is contributions to the game even on just goals and assists and final results. Bearing in mind that Mess has won 10 games in La Liga to Ronaldo's 4, in the Champions League it's 1 win to Messi and a draw in the 2 games. In the Cups neebody is really interested in it's 2 wins for Messi and 3 for Ronaldo. Ronaldo with just 1 assist in 30 games!

This is all of their games against each other and again it's Messi who is by far the bigger contributor.

Aye Ronaldo has won the European Championship, albeit playing just 25 mins of the Final. Portugal had a decent team but ended up with 5 draws (all 3 in group with him getting 2 in 1 game) out of the 6 games within 90 minutes. The 1 win within 90 minutes was against the might Wales in the Semi Final which Ronaldo got his only other goal in. Yet some will try to use this as a Ronaldo stat to his greatness. Yet in reality it's nowt like Maradona has done in comparison. The same can be said for Ronaldo winning Serie A even though Juventus had already won the previous 7 seasons and again this is nowt like Maradona for example when he came to Napoli and did it. Hoy Messi in the Man Utd team that Ronaldo had and he'd win the league and the same goes for Juventus as I could have probably won Serie A with Juventus last season! :lol:

What's more amusing is that some will even use this Checkatrade equivalent of the Nations League as further proof of Ronaldo doing it on a World stage. Whereas in reality, apart from the Semi against Switzerland he didn't really do much in the Final. He didn't even play in the 4 league games prior that got them their in the 1st place but some will be writing history that Ronaldo single handely dragged them to the win in the while competition and forget the rest of the squad players who will have played more than just 2 games! :lol:

Both are class players and better than anyone else for many years and although the stats are close for goals return, (though not as close as some may think as shown above), regarding assists and other input, it's clear who gives more to the game. If you had exactly the same 10 players for 2 teams to play each other then it's clear who the final man is to have in your team if you want to increase your chance of winning that game.

Both outstanding players but the fact that Ronaldo has been constantly top of his game and not been scared to prove himself by moving league's just shades it.

Can't blame Messi for wanting to stay in his Barca bubble but that lack of drive to prove himself elsewhere is a big negative for me. (Only my opinion like).

People also argue the fact that Messi hasn't won a World Cup. They will have forgotten what happened in the game such as the wild miss by Higuain at 2:35 in this video. Also at 3:20 the sublime volley touches and outside of the foot pass out wide by Messi only for Higuain to score from the cross and be ruled offside (the idiot!).

Messi has a chance at 4:50 but he can't quite get there as the defender battles with him and makes a lunging tackle.

What about Neur wiping out Higuain at 6:35? Surely it should have been a penna (for Messi to take) and sending off but free kick to Germany? Messi gets a shot off at 8 mins but wide of the mark. Palacio has a great chance at 9 mins but kicks it wide.

Shit defending allowed Goetz to get into a position but his control and finish was class! Either team could have won that game and it was probably lazy tired defending that meant it didn't go to penalties.

If Argentina had somehow won that game (which they could have), would it have made Messi a far superior player than he already is? No it wouldn't and it's small margins in situations like this so for me and unlike some I won't be using Wiki page honours for players when comparing. I certainly won't be judging Messi on not winning a World Cup and Ronaldo winning the Euro's (given his contribution to it) and even more so with the Nations League win as Ronaldo doing it on a World stage.

Both outstanding players but the fact that Ronaldo has been constantly top of his game and not been scared to prove himself by moving league's just shades it.

Can't blame Messi for wanting to stay in his Barca bubble but that lack of drive to prove himself elsewhere is a big negative for me. (Only my opinion like).
You do know that Ronaldo went to a Juventus team that had won the last 7 seasons? You could have went there and stood in the penalty box and won the league, possibly scoring a few ;) Messi would certainly have won Serie A if he'd gone there. He'd have also won the Premier League if he'd been in the same Man Utd team as Ronaldo. He may well have done it quicker than the 4 seasons it took Ronaldo as he won La Liga in his first 2 seasons at Barcelona.

For me, Messi has simply stayed where he is due to loyalty and it's not because he's scared to prove himself at all. Even if he had moved, I can't see how he wouldn't win any league if in a top team given what he contributes overall to a game as very few players worldwide come close to him (or any footballer ever). You've got to give Ronaldo credit though as he's gone to Italy to do just that, win the league in 3 main European Leagues though this last one isn't as big an acheivement as others given Juventus.

People also argue the fact that Messi hasn't won a World Cup. They will have forgotten what happened in the game such as the wild miss by Higuain at 2:35 in this video. Also at 3:20 the sublime volley touches and outside of the foot pass out wide by Messi only for Higuain to score from the cross and be ruled offside (the idiot!).

Messi has a chance at 4:50 but he can't quite get there as the defender battles with him and makes a lunging tackle.

What about Neur wiping out Higuain at 6:35? Surely it should have been a penna (for Messi to take) and sending off but free kick to Germany? Messi gets a shot off at 8 mins but wide of the mark. Palacio has a great chance at 9 mins but kicks it wide.

Shit defending allowed Goetz to get into a position but his control and finish was class! Either team could have won that game and it was probably lazy tired defending that meant it didn't go to penalties.

Small margins so for me and unlike some I won't be using Wiki page honours for players when comparing. I certainly won't be judging Messi on not winning a World Cup and Ronaldo winning the Euro's (given his contribution to it) and even more so with the Nations League win as Ronaldo doing it on a World stage.

You do know that Ronaldo went to a Juventus team that had won the last 7 seasons? You could have went there and stood in the penalty box and won the league, possibly scoring a few ;) Messi would certainly have won Serie A if he'd gone there. He'd have also won the Premier League if he'd been in the same Man Utd team as Ronaldo. He may well have done it quicker than the 4 seasons it took Ronaldo as he won La Liga in his first 2 seasons at Barcelona.

For me, Messi has simply stayed where he is due to loyalty and it's not because he's scared to prove himself at all. Even if he had moved, I can't see how he wouldn't win any league if in a top team given what he contributes overall to a game as very few players worldwide come close to him. You've got to give Ronaldo credit though as he's gone to Italy to do just that, win the league in 3 main European Leagues though this last one isn't as big an acheivement as others given Juventus.

I'm not reading all of that mate.

You've put your stats up and everything to prove Messi better but Ronaldo just shades it (for me) for the reasons I've put.

It's my preference and if Messi had done it over here then I may think differently but we'll never know.

I'm not reading all of that mate.

You've put your stats up and everything to prove Messi better but Ronaldo just shades it (for me) for the reasons I've put.

It's my preference and if Messi had done it over here then I may think differently but we'll never know.
I replied to your post with 2 paragraphs containing 8 sentences :lol: If that's too much to read then I'll leave you think that Messi wouldn't have done it here in that great Man Utd team of the late 2000's (Would you have him or Giggs for example?). As for Juventus, like I said you could have probably won Serie A with Juventus last season given their 7 in a row.

To become the best player of all time or is he already?

5x Champions League
5x Ballon d'Or
3x Premier League
2x La Liga
2x League Cup
2x Copa del Rey
2x UEFA Super Cup
1x European Championships
1x FA Cup
1x Serie A
1x Supercoppa Italiana
1x UEFA Nations League

The most goals and assists in both the Champions League & European Championships.

The first player in history to win the Premier League, La Liga & Serie A.

Teams win trophies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back