Death by Dangerous Cycling

The Highway Code says

watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have strated to cross they have priority”

I know that’s a specific situation but I’ve always taken that to mean that the Highway Code gives a pedestrian right of way once they enter the carriageway
Aye that's right ^. ( bold).

But do they have right of way if they step onto the A1? In front of you? I know you'd still try to miss them, but right of way for the pedestrian?

I think the point people are making is that there are far bigger issues to tackle when it comes to road safety than cyclists being a danger (which in the grand scheme of things they aren’t).

Making cycling safer for cyclists would be one, you’d get more people cycling confidently and less cars on the road, which are orders of magnitude more dangerous for everyone. Even non road users.

That’s why they’re saying it’s ‘tinkering round the edges’. It’s a minor issue in the overall picture of road safety.

Of course if it’s easy enough to implement and enforce, then there’s no reason not to introduce this sort of law.
Bet it’s not a minor issue for the dead’s families.

Aye that's right ^. ( bold).

But do they have right of way if they step onto the A1? In front of you? I know you'd still try to miss them, but right of way for the pedestrian?

Well I think that if someone steps out in front of you then no it isn’t your fault.

In reality pedestrians don’t just cross as they please and if they did just walk out in front of cars with no regard for safety I’m sure the law would take a dim view of it but if someone starts to cross the road, you can’t just keep on going

Pedestrians have right of way as soon as they step onto a road.
Why didn't the pedestrian cross the road?

Most people know that. And i think that refers mainly to anyone already crossing a junction when a vehicle approaches. People can justify their side of the debate, but lets be honest, if you continually step out onto a busy road at very short notice without looking at anything but your phone, then you have to be an idiot. And are a danger to yourself and all other road users. People crossing because they don't hear anything coming seems to be increasing, along with the growth in numbers of electric vehicles. What could possibly go wrong ?

On a zebra crossing, aye .They can't just step out in front of you and expect not to get hit

Aye. More cars on the road will make things much better.
No. As soon as a person is on a road it’s up to a driver to allow them to cross safely.

The Highway Code says

“watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have strated to cross they have priority”

I know that’s a specific situation but I’ve always taken that to mean that the Highway Code gives a pedestrian right of way once they enter the carriageway
Yes frijj that is my interpretation too. Plus the Mad Maxes on here would have difficulty explaining their warped views in a court of law.

Last edited:
Isn’t there a school of thought that says that no matter how cyclist conscious car drivers are; a situation with petrol powered metal boxes on wheels sharing the same space as a little metal frame on wheels and outnumbering them 100 to 1 is always going to be inherently unsafe?

Isn’t there a school of thought that says that no matter how cyclist conscious car drivers are; a situation with petrol powered metal boxes on wheels sharing the same space as a little metal frame on wheels and outnumbering them 100 to 1 is always going to be inherently unsafe?

This, especially considering the speed differential between the two.

No. As soon as a person is on a road it’s up to a driver to allow them to cross safely.

Yes frijj that is my interpretation too. Plus the Mad Maxes on here would have difficulty explaining their warped views in a court of law.
If you step out in front of me, do you expect not to get hit?

France and Spain manage just fine

When you factor in drivers who aren't paying attention, don't know how to drive properly and anger issues, then I agree. We need segregated infrastructure, it's the only action that makes cycling safer and enables everyone to get on a bike to work, to the shops, to school etc.

If you step out in front of me, do you expect not to get hit?

France and Spain manage just fine

It's ingrained in the culture on the continent. It's only the last 20-30 years we've seen an increase in cycling in the uk really. Our roads just aren't built for cars and bikes to coexist safely.

When you factor in drivers who aren't paying attention, don't know how to drive properly and anger issues, then I agree. We need segregated infrastructure, it's the only action that makes cycling safer and enables everyone to get on a bike to work, to the shops, to school etc.
In many city centres, there is no room for this, as pointed out to you ad infinitum.

Unless you rip up the streets that isn’t going to happen. There just isn’t space mate.

I can go now and drive through the town I work in. Fuck knows where this segregated infrastructure is going to go.

In many city centres, there is no room for this, as pointed out to you ad infinitum.

@James is an articulate young lad with experience in transport planning iirc so I don’t doubt he’s right it would help but like you I really cannot see where the hell the room for segregation comes from.

@James can you give us an example of somewhere in the North East you could segregate?

A lot of cyclists drive too, so surely with a reasonable amount of ease their car insurance could cover them when cycling too.

I wouldn't be against cyclists having some kind of insurance too if they weren't drivers though. It would have to be quite cheap though.

Perhaps the cycling proficiency test should be compulsory.

Cycle paths should be far improved though.

How about pedestrians having insurance?
British cycling membership includes insurance. . . . . Plus other perks

I am all for that, just don’t adopt the pavements as the segregated infrastructure.

Unless you rip up the streets that isn’t going to happen. There just isn’t space mate.

I can go now and drive through the town I work in. Fuck knows where this segregated infrastructure is going to go.

@James is an articulate young lad with experience in transport planning iirc so I don’t doubt he’s right it would help but like you I really cannot see where the hell the room for segregation comes from.

@James can you give us an example of somewhere in the North East you could segregate?

I can't be bothered as we'll just end up arguing over the same stuff as the previous threads.

It's about making bold decisions, our city centres are changing and you'll start seeing streets shut to motor traffic in places like the City of London before you know it. If there's not enough space then you remove inefficient uses of it, which isn't people riding bikes.

Look at Manchester's plans for walking and cycling to see what can be done. I've here. You filter areas, improve crossing points and build dedicated infrastructure on busy roads.

Back