Death by Dangerous Cycling

they do.
the highway code always states something along the lines of keep an eye out for pedestrians and be prepared to stop amongst it's myriad of rules for road users.
Don't know what the highway code says about jaywalking. I'm amazed there aren't more pedestrians hit by cyclists. The number of arseholes who just walk out onto the road because they don't hear a vehicle or are using a phone or listening to music is staggering.

Mandatory helmet use reduces the number of people who cycle. I chose not to wear one but hand no issue with people who do. The way it should be imo.

Average cyclist travels at about 13mph iirc. If you're doing 30 on your commute then you should consider taking up cycling as a career!

Aye or lay off the PEDS :lol:

Department for Transport figures for 2016 show that 448 pedestrians were killed on Britain's roads, but only three cases involved bicycles.
How many bikes on the road compared to cars? Based on those stats, bicycles maybe more dangerous?

How many bikes on the road compared to cars? Based on those stats, bicycles maybe more dangerous?

Nope.
I don't get why somebody would be so opposed to wearing a helmet.

I ride a Dutch, upright bike at an average pace. If I fall off my head won't be the first thing that hits the deck, unlike if I was on a road bike and I'm leaning forwards, far more likely to go head first into something. I don't wear a helmet, don't think I need it and I can't be arsed carrying it around. If I rode a road bike at pace I'd have another opinion I'm sure.

I'm fundamentally against a mandatory helmet law at its been proven to stagnate or reduce cycling numbers while doing virtually nothing for the safety of the rider. If you get hit by a truck your polystyrene hat won't do much.

The government should be protecting vulnerable road users with suitable infrastructure. Everything else is just pissing in the wind.

Nope.

I ride a Dutch, upright bike at an average pace. If I fall off my head won't be the first thing that hits the deck, unlike if I was on a road bike and I'm leaning forwards, far more likely to go head first into something. I don't wear a helmet, don't think I need it and I can't be arsed carrying it around. If I rode a road bike at pace I'd have another opinion I'm sure.

I'm fundamentally against a mandatory helmet law at its been proven to stagnate or reduce cycling numbers while doing virtually nothing for the safety of the rider. If you get hit by a truck your polystyrene hat won't do much.

The government should be protecting vulnerable road users with suitable infrastructure. Everything else is just pissing in the wind.

Can see both sides of the helmet debate...I always wear one and doesn’t bother me, equally someone not wanting to wear one doesn’t bother me.
Strange being out in France the last week or so seeing that many old gadgies on road bikes without them.
Guess less white van loons or scrotes in cars near passing you.

The last paragraph 100%

Mandatory helmet use reduces the number of people who cycle. I chose not to wear one but hand no issue with people who do. The way it should be imo.

Average cyclist travels at about 13mph iirc. If you're doing 30 on your commute then you should consider taking up cycling as a career!
Doesn't seem to reduce cycling deaths, neither. I'd always wear one, mind

Doesn't seem to reduce cycling deaths, neither. I'd always wear one, mind

Yep, it's not going to help when a lorry turns left across you.
Can see both sides of the helmet debate...I always wear one and doesn’t bother me, equally someone not wanting to wear one doesn’t bother me.
Strange being out in France the last week or so seeing that many old gadgies on road bikes without them.
Guess less white van loons or scrotes in cars near passing you.

The last paragraph 100%

It's very much a UK thing from my experience. Barely saw a single helmet in Italy a few months ago in three different cities. Even people pottering along on dual carriageway roads helmetless. Zero infrastructure either, same as the UK if not worse. No helmet or high viz in sight.

Did make me wonder why. Maybe people who cycle aren't demonised as much over there?

Yep, it's not going to help when a lorry turns left across you.

It's very much a UK thing from my experience. Barely saw a single helmet in Italy a few months ago in three different cities. Even people pottering along on dual carriageway roads helmetless. Zero infrastructure either, same as the UK if not worse. No helmet or high viz in sight.

Did make me wonder why. Maybe people who cycle aren't demonised as much over there?
I was shocked when a man in a white van patiently waited for my mate to get out of his way, giving him plenty of room in France.

Today, some clunt in an audi crossed double white lines to overtake and nearly hit us.

I was shocked when a man in a white van patiently waited for my mate to get out of his way, giving him plenty of room in France.

Today, some clunt in an audi crossed double white lines to overtake and nearly hit us.

As long as you’re not stopping them going for their morning bread :lol:
Old dears with their shopping trolleys walking to boloungerie...nowt getting in their way, sharp elbows as well ;)

If a pedestrian walks out the onus is on the car driver to stop, always.

Obviously if some knacker walks into the road with no prior warning or time to react it’s their fault but if someone enters the carriageway you are expected to stop iirc.
Yes of course! We can't go round running people down just because they are daft enough to step onto the main road, but I'm not sure thato counts as "right of way" :confused:

Yes of course! We can't go round running people down just because they are daft enough to step onto the main road, but I'm not sure thato counts as "right of way" :confused:

The Highway Code says

“watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have strated to cross they have priority”

I know that’s a specific situation but I’ve always taken that to mean that the Highway Code gives a pedestrian right of way once they enter the carriageway

Back