Death by Dangerous Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of cyclists drive too, so surely with a reasonable amount of ease their car insurance could cover them when cycling too.

I wouldn't be against cyclists having some kind of insurance too if they weren't drivers though. It would have to be quite cheap though.

Perhaps the cycling proficiency test should be compulsory.

Cycle paths should be far improved though.

How about pedestrians having insurance?

How about none of that but designing safer streets and being 1000x stricter with dickheads behind the wheel of a motor vehicle?

That’s whataboutery. One might as well go on to say cancer kills more than drivers, so let’s not worry about deaths caused by drivers.
If you take that line a more appropriate response would be to introduce this legislation and increase the penalty for death by dangerous driving and more importantly using a mobile whilst driving. Oh and longer bans for drink driving. The latter three are all far far bigger problems than death by cycling

I’ve lost count the number of times I have nearly been clipped by some idiot on a bike when I have been leaving work on the corner of Westgate Road/St James Boulevard. One barcode wearing arsehole even swore at me for getting in his way!

I’ve lost count the number of times I have nearly been clipped by some idiot on a bike when I have been leaving work on the corner of Westgate Road/St James Boulevard. One barcode wearing arsehole even swore at me for getting in his way!

They're never going to clip you though as they'll likely come off the bike as well and do more damage to themselves. You're on a death wish if you're genuinely cycling that close to people at pace.

If you take that line a more appropriate response would be to introduce this legislation and increase the penalty for death by dangerous driving and more importantly using a mobile whilst driving. Oh and longer bans for drink driving. The latter three are all far far bigger problems than death by cycling
Which line?

There is literally no excuse for drink driving or using a mobile behind the wheel.

Same for cycling all those who would jump on my back here.

That doesn’t fit the narrative though. Cyclists are all a disgrace.
No just the ones who ride brakeless bikes that aren't meant for the public road. Who then arrogantly claim they've done nothing wrong even though somebody's wife and mother is dead. There no narrative just common sense.

They're never going to clip you though as they'll likely come off the bike as well and do more damage to themselves. You're on a death wish if you're genuinely cycling that close to people at pace.

My personal favourites are 'the weavers'. Head down, engrossed in the mobile rabbit hole, headphones on, incapable of walking in a straight line. Good fun screaming 'aaaaaaaahhhhhh!' as you pass an inch to their left or right ;)

Nonsense.

It’s absolutely not.

There are occasions where it’s safer as a cyclist to ride on the footpath, for cars, cyclists and pedestrians.

How they do this is a completely different matter and one which is dependent on the choices of the individual.

Adults cycling on pavements has reached epidemic proportions in Nottingham, mainly black blokes and delivery people.

I would like to see on the spot fines at least as often they cycle straight past police officers and PCSOs.

I can also envisage an increase in vigilante attacks against these bicycle hooligans.
I agree however at the same time local councils need to do more to make it safer for cyclists on the roads.

My personal favourites are 'the weavers'. Head down, engrossed in the mobile rabbit hole, headphones on, incapable of walking in a straight line. Good fun screaming 'aaaaaaaahhhhhh!' as you pass an inch to their left or right ;)

Luckily I don't have any of that on my commute. Mostly just get the odd person crossing a junction without looking and occasionally people stepping out from behind parked cars. The latter almost saw me smash into some kid last week who did that, fortunately managed to slam the brakes on in time and swerve it.

Only thing I actually worry about though is being stupidly close passed and drivers turning left across me without indicating. One will happen near enough daily and it scares the shit out of me. You have to be so aware of it. That's the real danger on the roads.

They should bring fines in for fuck wit pedestrians that just randomly walk out in front of cars/bikes due to gawping at their f***ing phones.

I've nearly wiped a few daft twats out riding on cycle lanes who just stepped in front of me whilst distracted by tech. It would have been 100% their fault if I seriously injured or killed the twats. These weren't kids either as I always slow to a crawl if i'm cycling past younguns as they tend to be a bit erratic, nah these idiots were old enough to f***ing know better.
There's only one time I nearly hit a pedestrian (that I can remember). He stepped off the pavement a metre or 2 whilst browsing his phone into the road before looking up as I swerved and came to a stop right next to him (actually just past him). Acted like he didn't even know what was going on. I was f***ing fuming. If I'd have come off the bike I'd have hurt myself. If I'd have collided with him I would done some proper damage.

30 is dangerous if you are not wearing a helmet or hit a kerb with your pelvis.
You’re never going to get rid of the risk of injury in any form of transport but you can manage that risk better by slowing down
Very rare that the average cyclist is doing 30mph. Probably more 10-20mph. I do think helmets should be mandatory though. I always used to wear one.

There's only one time I nearly hit a pedestrian (that I can remember). He stepped off the pavement a metre or 2 whilst browsing his phone into the road before looking up as I swerved and came to a stop right next to him (actually just past him). Acted like he didn't even know what was going on. I was f***ing fuming. If I'd have come off the bike I'd have hurt myself. If I'd have collided with him I would done some proper damage.

Very rare that the average cyclist is doing 30mph. Probably more 10-20mph. I do think helmets should be mandatory though. I always used to wear one.

Mandatory helmet use reduces the number of people who cycle. I chose not to wear one but hand no issue with people who do. The way it should be imo.

Average cyclist travels at about 13mph iirc. If you're doing 30 on your commute then you should consider taking up cycling as a career!

Mandatory helmet use reduces the number of people who cycle. I chose not to wear one but hand no issue with people who do. The way it should be imo.

Average cyclist travels at about 13mph iirc. If you're doing 30 on your commute then you should consider taking up cycling as a career!
I don't get why somebody would be so opposed to wearing a helmet.

Im not a cyclist...but fair play to anyone who does and keeps themselves fit...less cars on road.
Ive been driving for for nearly 40 years and see the odd bit of bad cycling but that goes for car drivers as well...patience with others seems to be going out the window...i would have a cycling and driving test every ten years in the hope of keeping up standards in both areas.One driving test to last a lifetime and non for cyclists seems ridiculous(ive got three tin hats on and await my fate from the angry ones!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back