Death by Dangerous Cycling

If I choose to drive my car like a twat and then cause injury to someone, then I also choose by default to accept the consequences.

If I choose to ride my bike like a twat, on roads or paths, then the same logic applies.

It’s related to an individuals actions, not the vehicle.
He did remove his front brakes tbh

If I choose to drive my car like a twat and then cause injury to someone, then I also choose by default to accept the consequences.

If I choose to ride my bike like a twat, on roads or paths, then the same logic applies.

It’s related to an individuals actions, not the vehicle.
According to “unlockthelaw” you can’t get done for speeding on a bike so when the biggest factor of deaths on the roads being speed then how can we get people to slow down?

The problem will become how it's applied. If some daft bastard steps out five feet in front of you (which is more likely because of the size and noise difference) there's no chance of stopping or avoiding. Is that dangerous cycling?

You have idiots walking out in front of cars these days practically daring you to hit them.

As I live in Newcastle I sometimes think I’d be doing the world a favour if I didn’t stop.

This is a joke police.

He did remove his front brakes tbh

Ergo, he acted like a twat?

According to “unlockthelaw” you can’t get done for speeding on a bike so when the biggest factor of deaths on the roads being speed then how can we get people to slow down?

Are you getting statistics for motor vehicle related accidents mixed up with bike accidents? Bikes are generally limited in their upper end speed due to the rider, whereas all cars can speed in a thirty zone.

Remarkably difficult for your average punter to get up to a dangerous speed on a bike in a reasonably well populated area mind.

One thing which could be helpful for motorists and cyclists is to ban jaywalking like they do in some German states (or all of them?).

A lot of drivers don't realise that many pavements are shared cycle paths, so not that many cyclists do actually break any rules.

They should bring fines in for fuck wit pedestrians that just randomly walk out in front of cars/bikes due to gawping at their f***ing phones.

I've nearly wiped a few daft twats out riding on cycle lanes who just stepped in front of me whilst distracted by tech. It would have been 100% their fault if I seriously injured or killed the twats. These weren't kids either as I always slow to a crawl if i'm cycling past younguns as they tend to be a bit erratic, nah these idiots were old enough to f***ing know better.

I think the point people are making is that there are far bigger issues to tackle when it comes to road safety than cyclists being a danger (which in the grand scheme of things they aren’t).

Making cycling safer for cyclists would be one, you’d get more people cycling confidently and less cars on the road, which are orders of magnitude more dangerous for everyone. Even non road users.

That’s why they’re saying it’s ‘tinkering round the edges’. It’s a minor issue in the overall picture of road safety.

Of course if it’s easy enough to implement and enforce, then there’s no reason not to introduce this sort of law.
They are.

A lot of drivers don't realise that many pavements are shared cycle paths, so not that many cyclists do actually break any rules.

The only time I've hit a person was on a cycle path was in Sunderland city centre. f***ing phone zombie wearing headphones :evil:

And the figures supporting the claim they’re a danger in the grand scheme of things, as in relative to other road users, are?
That’s whataboutery. One might as well go on to say cancer kills more than drivers, so let’s not worry about deaths caused by drivers.

Ergo, he acted like a twat?

Are you getting statistics for motor vehicle related accidents mixed up with bike accidents? Bikes are generally limited in their upper end speed due to the rider, whereas all cars can speed in a thirty zone.
Any collision. Speed is the biggest contributor to severity of injury

I work in an area plagued by shit cyclists, not the leisure or ‘commuter’ type in well maintained bikes but charvers who can’t afford a car or bairns whose parents just do not care enough to give them any road sense.

Consequently you constantly see things like cyclists going the wrong way down one way roads, weaving between traffic, cycling down fully pedestrianised areas, doing wheelies in the middle of the pavement, etc.

Obviously I don’t want anyone to get hurt but a lot of cyclists bring it on themselves because they either don’t care or are just very very arrogant.

I expect to hear on the local news that a cyclist has been killed by a bus or car on a one way road because it’s only a matter of time. They cycle like absolute f***ing morons around my way. It’s somrthing you have to see to believe, trust me

Any collision. Speed is the biggest contributor to severity of injury

It isn’t speed that kills you, it’s the sudden loss of.

I think the point people are making is that there are far bigger issues to tackle when it comes to road safety than cyclists being a danger (which in the grand scheme of things they aren’t).

Making cycling safer for cyclists would be one, you’d get more people cycling confidently and less cars on the road, which are orders of magnitude more dangerous for everyone. Even non road users.

That’s why they’re saying it’s ‘tinkering round the edges’. It’s a minor issue in the overall picture of road safety.

Of course if it’s easy enough to implement and enforce, then there’s no reason not to introduce this sort of law.

there you go and exactly the point i was making earlier on.
an updating of the law to apply to try to make cyclists more accountable somehow gets turned round to cyclists being the victims.
fwiw i don't cycle any more but used to, including the coast to coast several times and also lands end to john o groats a few years back. i make this point just in case i get branded anti cycling.

Back