Chlorinated Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will make this simple.

Does anyone have a problem with high welfare, corn fed, free range chickens of non specific origin, being imported into the UK for the specific reason they are chlorinated? :lol:
Can you elaborate why the chicken as you describe it has been chlorinated? I would need to know before giving an answer as it seems superfluous

Can you elaborate why the chicken as you describe it has been chlorinated? I would need to know before giving an answer as it seems superfluous
Possibly chlorinated to prevent bacteria from multiplying during transit?

I wouldn't want to eat it personally but I hardly eat meat as it is.

As far as I can make out the issue with chlorination of foods isn’t the quality of the product or the safety of the process, resulting in high levels of chlorine in the product it’s the welfare standards of the farms.

Other products are high in chlorine, such as bacon, whereas levels of chlorine in chicken following the process is at a trace level.

So, if your reasons are around welfare then you should also look at those welfare standards in the EU and be comfortable that the standards are being met.

We receive a large amount of imported chicken from Poland and a google search can show you instances of EU breaches as recent as 2019.
My point still stands. Imports should be dependent on standards not whether they have been chlorinated. If that means American meat is not allowed in so be it.

Hard to enforce in reality and more likely then to receive contaminated food from the EU than the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point still stands. Imports should be dependent on standards not whether they have been chlorinated. If that means American meat is not allowed in so be it.
It already is. You can check gov.uk for a list of authorised suppliers who have already passed the test. We already allow a small number of suppliers from USA.

The main ssue isn't with the chlorination process, it's the fact that it's needed.

There's also evidence to suggest that the process allows chicken to pass tests but the bacteria in the chicken is growing.

Then there's the issues with competition to UK farmers who will have to either lower standards to compete with price and then not be able to expert our product to mainland Europe (we expert most of our brown meat) or have two sets of practices. Either way it's bad news for British suppliers.

Chlorine chicken is all over the news but steroid beef, meat glue and puss milk deserve a shoutout too. Disgusting shithole country now dictates what we eat in ours.
Absolutely no need to import chicken to feed the UK population.
We can quite easily supply enough chickens for us to eat here.

does it matter what we need if It’s what Wall Street want, and what the market demands ?

Last edited:
As far as I can make out the issue with chlorination of foods isn’t the quality of the product or the safety of the process, resulting in high levels of chlorine in the product it’s the welfare standards of the farms.

Other products are high in chlorine, such as bacon, whereas levels of chlorine in chicken following the process is at a trace level.

So, if your reasons are around welfare then you should also look at those welfare standards in the EU and be comfortable that the standards are being met.

We receive a large amount of imported chicken from Poland and a google search can show you instances of EU breaches as recent as 2019.

Hard to enforce in reality and more likely then to receive contaminated food from the EU than the US.
Large companies can hire local companies overseas to do quality inspections. Things are never perfect but would help.

Personally I would allow the imports and labelling them for what they were. The government should also provide our farmers with financial assistance to maintain high welfare standards so they are not at a disadvantage with imports. I know what I would rather buy if the price was near enough the same.
Are you asking why are low animal welfare standards an issue?
No I'm asking why is the chlorinated chicken thing an issue.

We shouldn't allow products into the UK that don't conform to our standards. We should allow products in that do whether they are chlorinated or not.

Last edited:
So do we.
We neither use chlorine to wash chicken (it was banned in 1997 out have low welfare( or have low standard ;e have one of the highest levels of standards, inspections and labeling in the world.

I’m not going to buy your chicken then
You already are. I'm Bernard Matthews (aye I'm deed).
If the British won't buy it, then they will soon stop exporting to us - doesn't make sense to try to sell stuff that people won't buy IMHO.
We should label all produce with a flag of origin and if possible have a regional section. The Jocks always have a Scottish section in the supermarket so people can buy local products and support their farmers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back