Chlorinated Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said it was so they could have low welfare standards. The welfare standards were low before they started chlorinating chicken. The chlorination process was to make the shit they already ate safe
Chlorination just removes the majority of bacteria on the surface of the chicken.
It does not remove the hormone residue in the chicken's flesh so in what way does it make the chicken safe?

jesus

No its not its the same thing it all goes into one pot and its all going to be eaten. Unless you know of something to do with a chlorinated chicken besides consuming it.
Read the op. The question was about chlorination.
Not separate at all.
Both chlorination and hormone injections are indicators of poor farming practices and lazy simplistic solutions to problems caused by those practices.
Read op

Yes I was interested in finding out why people are opposed to it.

People, because of the media seem to focus on the chlorination when as pointed out by others, this isn't the issue at all. It is the word 'chlorinated' that grabs the headlines, when we should be saying we will take any safe product as long as its source adheres to our welfare standards.
That's exactly what Boris said but the problem is that apparently the USA are trying to force it through as part of the deal. The choice is one for Boris to make. Accept a trade deal at the price of the consequences I already gave or stand by what he said and keep the quality of our meats in the country at a high standard.

This is the crux of all. We are going to be looking to trade with a lot of nations and you'll see this drama being played out with all kinds of products from now on.

But I agree. The media haven't exactly forced the point home about chlorinated food. A lot of hysteria surrounds it rather than just information.

Last edited:
It was asking why people were opposed to it and you are being told. If we import chlorinated meats then our high standard produce will be diluted by low quality imports which will have consequences for meat producers in this country.

The question as to why people are opposed to it is about standards and the impact of lowering standards. It's not about the chlorine itself. We eat chlorinated foods all the time. That is the answer. If you want a different answer then maybe you should ask a different question.
I get your point but you seem to being assuming I was asking if people had an objection to the UK importing low welfare chicken from the USA that had been chlorinated. That isn't what I asked is it.

I get your point but you seem to being assuming I was asking if people had an objection to the UK importing low welfare chicken from the USA that had been chlorinated. That isn't what I asked is it.
And I've agreed with you that the media haven't handled the whole thing well and that yes, they have focused on the chlorination process that doesn't hurt anyone. So if say, New Zealand decide to produce chicken at a high standard but chlorinate it as a safeguard against long distance travel...I agree with you...and Boris. Not a problem and nobody else would have a problem with it either. Not even the EU.

But the answer to the question as to why people with the information don't want it in this country...you have the answer.

Last edited:
Getting confused here
Is the chicken washed in chlorine before the poor little twat is killed, or is it done in the processing later.

Why are people so opposed to it being imported into the UK?

My personal reasons are that it is another reason for standards to slip.

If you're a meat firm and you have a certain standard to maintain by law, and then someone comes along and says you can wash this chicken in chlorinated water it means you can relax a bit.

Standards fall even further, people die

Is the chlorine washing in packaged salads on our supermarket shelves because of low standards?

We got to the bottom of it already. That's what you wanted to know. Right? When I get the correct post that is...sorry.

And I've agreed with you that the media haven't handled the whole thing well and that yes, they have focused on the chlorination process that doesn't hurt anyone. So if say, New Zealand decide to produce chicken at a high standard but chlorinate it as a safeguard against long distance travel...I agree with you...and Boris. Not a problem and nobody else would have a problem with it either. Not even the EU.

Last edited:
My personal reasons are that it is another reason for standards to slip.

If you're a meat firm and you have a certain standard to maintain by law, and then someone comes along and says you can wash this chicken in chlorinated water it means you can relax a bit.

Standards fall even further, people die
Good sensible answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back